Gransnet forums

Health

Ovary removal after hysterectomy

(11 Posts)
atodnv Fri 04-Oct-19 02:50:51

My mom had a hysterectomy a couple days ago due to heavy unstoppable bleeding and pelvic pain. Although she's 53yrs, she's premenopausal so we elected to keep the ovaries due to the potential future health benefits for the heart, bones and brain. Doctor was supportive of either keeping them or taking them, but did mention that there's a possibility that the pelvic pain is coming from the ovaries. As the choice wasn't clear, we elected to keep them. However, now that it's been a couple days since the surgery, mom is stressing out and worrying that it may have been the wrong decision as she's feeling the same pelvic pain and is wondering if it's coming from her ovaries. Does anyone know how soon she could go in to get her ovaries removed after the hysterectomy?

BlueBelle Fri 04-Oct-19 06:51:42

I think you need to discuss this with your surgeon

mumofmadboys Fri 04-Oct-19 07:21:10

It is far too early to wonder where the present pain is from. Let the surgery all settle down which will take a good 3 months. The surgeons will have checked the ovaries at the operation and must be happy with them to leave them. Hope she improves soon

BlueSapphire Fri 04-Oct-19 08:12:51

Yes, let it all settle down and see what happens. I had a hysterectomy at a similar age due to a massive fibroid and was strongly recommended to have my ovaries out at the same time, which I did. Started on HRT immediately and never had any problems. I think she must wait and see.

GabriellaG54 Fri 04-Oct-19 08:17:59

You mention 'we'.
Surely it's your mother's decision, not yours.

GabriellaG54 Fri 04-Oct-19 08:20:27

...and keeping her ovaries was a daft decision as the pros of removing them outweigh the cons of keeping them, besides her having to undergo a second round of surgery.

sodapop Fri 04-Oct-19 08:44:10

Good advice from momb and BlueBelle

Yorksherlass Fri 04-Oct-19 08:46:37

I had hysterectomy many years ago but kept the ovaries as I was very young , however eventually I had to have them removed too, there was a plus though, the new surgeon really tidied up the old scar .?

Daisymae Fri 04-Oct-19 08:54:05

It's quite likely that menopause will start very quickly after a hysterectomy anyway. It can take weeks if not months to recover from what is a major operation. She needs to give herself time to recover. Only time will tell.

Smileless2012 Fri 04-Oct-19 08:59:07

I had a hysterectomy when I was 34, everything was taken and I've never had any problems.

StMary Fri 04-Oct-19 10:32:51

I had a hysterectomy some 25 years ago , i have womb , cervix removed , left both ovaries ..Yes your in pain low down near bladder , it takes time to settle down ..Your mam has been through a lot ..I have my ovaries checked and i did have cysts on one of them ..they disappear on their own and can come back ..But up to now all these years it was the best thing i did .I went into the change around the age of 48/49 , came out of it around 55 ..Tell your Mam she will be great very soon