Gransnet forums

Health

Arthritis in Feet

(35 Posts)
Sparklefizz Tue 29-Oct-19 11:39:41

I have been diagnosed with arthritis in my feet, and on the ball of one foot I have a painful swelling and my toes hurt. My GP says I can expect similar to develop on the other foot sad and it is now hurting to walk.

He suggests buying some quality trainers with well padded soles but I am a skinny jeans and biker boots kinda gal.

Can anyone suggest a company that does stylish boots with padded-type of soles which will protect my feet without me hating the look of them?

Thanks in advance.

ayse Tue 29-Oct-19 11:45:11

You can buy gel insoles that may help. Places like JD Sports sell them.

I hope you manage to find something that helps with the pain flowers

Teetime Tue 29-Oct-19 11:50:08

It be an idea to be referred to a Podiatrist. I have arthritis in my feet and put up with years of pain before having the feet x rayed on the instruction of a Podiatry surgeon to find my bones has crumbled and needed pinning together. I would get them seen sooner rather than later.

Labaik Tue 29-Oct-19 12:16:49

Skechers [sp] now make boots I believe but probably not in the style you like. You can buy padded insoles that will probably fit into boots; no good for shoes but should be ok with boots and trainers. I've lived in trainers or Ugg boots for years because of foot problems.

Dee1012 Tue 29-Oct-19 15:04:47

I have arthritis in my feet and was given a referral to a podiatrist...it was quite helpful as they arranged some insoles for shoes that do help a little.

If I'm looking at shoes and boots...Skechers are great as are Fitflops, I have a lovely pair of patent ankle boots from them!

Curlywhirly Tue 29-Oct-19 15:13:19

Are you sure it is arthritis and not a Morton's neuroma! Google it; it is a swelling on a nerve and feels like you have a pebble on the sole of your foot. They can be removed by surgery.

Scentia Tue 29-Oct-19 15:28:24

I would say Doc Martins are your way to go.

Sparklefizz Tue 29-Oct-19 16:33:54

Thank you everybody. I am going for an X-ray tomorrow so should know more once the results are in. My GP didn't offer the services of a podiatrist on the NHS - not sure if that's available nowadays.

Scentia - yes, I wondered about Doc Martens.

Jane10 Tue 29-Oct-19 16:57:42

A podiatrist made a special orthotic insole for me which helped a lot. I went to a local podiatry clinic and just paid. It was worth it to me. Only about £40 I think but that was a few years ago. It meant I could keep wearing my old shoes and boots. The inflammation settled too.
Good that you're having an X Ray just in case it's something else.

Callistemon Tue 29-Oct-19 17:30:29

Yes, podiatry is offered on the NHS, at least in our area.

However, I've never been offered an Xray or further advice on what could be wrong with my feet although I do have insoles courtesy of the NHS.

The rather expensive ones I had made privately whilst on the NHS waiting list were of no use whatsoever and made my feet even more painful.

Marydoll Tue 29-Oct-19 18:16:01

In my health board area, you can self refer to NHS podiatry.
I was referred by my rheumatologist and had special insoles made on the NHS after an MRI of my feet.

Callistemon Tue 29-Oct-19 18:36:45

I wish we could self-refer. We have to remember to make another appointment within a certain time slot otherwise, even if a week over, we have to go back to the GP for a re-referral and go on the waiting list.
A waste of time and resources.

Sparklefizz Tue 29-Oct-19 18:53:30

I can't get back in to see my GP for another 3 weeks so will have to wait till then, and plan to ask him about an NHS podiatrist.

I am not feeling madly confident as about 10 years ago I had a different foot problem and was referred to orthopaedics at the hospital. The consultant I saw had no idea what to do with me, and began to click on her computer screen, and I could see over her shoulder that she was clicking on Wikipedia, of all things. Not even a medical website. Then she cut out a piece of foam to fit into my shoe - it didn't fit - the whole session was a waste of time.

If I am sent there again, I shall cancel!!

Labaik Wed 30-Oct-19 06:57:34

I was just given some thick, rock hard insoles that hurt my feet and didn't even fit inside my shoes...

Sparklefizz Wed 30-Oct-19 08:42:20

Oh dear Labaik, sorry to hear that.

Marydoll I have checked regarding self-referral but my practice doesn't include podiatry.

Jane10 I would be very pleased if I could carry on wearing my normal shoes and boots.

Teetime - you say your bones had crumbled. Did you already have a diagnosis of Osteoporosis?

Fennel Wed 30-Oct-19 08:46:08

I've had arthritis in my feet and toes for some time. Plus corns on the toes which hve curled under. The worst pain was in the left arch and GP gave me a cortisone injection which helped.
I only wear Skechers trainers now, much less pressure/friction.
Another thing that works temporarily is Flector Gel. Contains a strong painkiller.

Iam64 Wed 30-Oct-19 08:53:26

It's a podiatrist and biomechanics that you'll need. Still available on the NHS but currently being sold off to the cheapest buyer. Don't let anyone tell you the NHS isn't being privatised.

I have inflammatory (rheumatoid) arthritis which means high risk for osteoporosis and osteoarthritis. I've had orthotics made at our biomechanics department for years, they really help but it does mean shopping at Sketchers, Hotters etc. You may find that Fly boots are a good buy Sparklefizz. I love them and they will take an orthotic so I get to wear boots I like as well as take care of my ageing feet.

Lins1066 Wed 30-Oct-19 09:06:39

I have osteoarthritis in my feet. We are fortunate to have an NHS walk in podiatry clinic in my area. They measured me for orthotic insoles and recommended Sandpiper shoes which have been great. Look them up online, they do boots.

I had surgery on my left foot in February to fuse the Taylor navicular joint. I also have OA in my right foot but not as bad. I love shoes but now wear what is comfortable and recommended by Consultant.

Callistemon Wed 30-Oct-19 09:34:49

If your feet are wider or if you need more room to fit orthotics, then Widerfit Shoes (online and selected retailers) do a fair range of boots.
Their shoes, boots and sandals have removable insoles if you need the extra room and also an extra, soft insole.

watermeadow Wed 30-Oct-19 20:15:35

I’ve given up asking doctors to help with my arthritic feet and ankles. The last one didn’t so much as glance at them.
That way it’s cheaper for the NHS to ignore anyone over 65 and when we can’t walk or leave the house we’ll stop bothering them.

Fennel Wed 30-Oct-19 20:50:13

Maybe he/she had a similar problem, Watermeadow.
Our last GP in France said "everyone over 60 has osteoarthritis in some shape or form" .
Or french words to that effect.

Sparklefizz Thu 31-Oct-19 05:47:52

Has anyone successfully used acupuncture to reduce pain and swelling in their feet?

BrentFoust Sat 02-Nov-19 09:31:06

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Fennel Sat 02-Nov-19 20:03:34

BrentFoust -
Many of us with various med. conditions are told not to take Ibuprofen, or any NSI meds, orally.
Dangerous advice.

bingo12 Sat 02-Nov-19 22:02:20

Are you taking turmeric for pain of arthritis?? Best way is ''golden paste-'' as on face book's Turmeric Users Group. (capsules are not as good)
Recipe
1 cup organic turmeric powder
1/4 '' '' coconut oil
1 '' water (or more if needed)
1 teasp. freshly ground organic black pepper
Mix together and very low simmer for about 7 mins.
Store in jar in fridge and freezer. Take for pain - 1 -3 teasp. a day.