Gransnet forums

Health

Cleanliness and hygiene

(144 Posts)
Mumsyface Sun 03-Nov-19 08:24:54

I live in a town in Spain which was recently cut of by floods for a week and one of the side effects was that we had no running water for a week. The Red Cross set up standpipes, and for us the inconvenience was minimal. However, carrying bottles of water every day set me thinking about global water supplies and wastage. My question is how much/often do we need to shower/bathe for hygiene and a socially acceptable level of cleanliness?
As kids we used to have one bath a week, on Sundays, and that was shared with my brother until he was old enough to refuse. I think my mum must have encouraged/told us to wash in between but I don’t think we did....at least, not very much. I have vague memories of washing in the sink and that is what I started doing when we had no running water - half a kettle of hot water in half a sink of cold water with a dash of liquid soap. It seemed to work okay so I’ve continued in this way hoping to save water globally and, of course, on our water bill. I do still shower at the swimming pool after swimming once .or twice a week.
Is this enough? Have I been socially programmed into thinking I should shower every day? What do you all think?

Yiayia4 Tue 07-Jan-20 08:37:06

When I was pregnant with my first son I had a craving for Dettol put loads in the bath,on the bath sponge and washed the floors with it?He turned out alright though.

Marydoll Tue 07-Jan-20 07:54:32

You certainly have been busy this morning, Peter!!!!!

MawB Tue 07-Jan-20 07:03:37

Oh go away, spam merchant ?

lucycat Mon 18-Nov-19 18:49:43

t shower every other day and have a hair wash

Alexa Tue 12-Nov-19 09:57:02

Sparklefizz I do like to get to the bottom of behaviour.

annodomini Mon 11-Nov-19 20:03:19

We were brought up to have a bath every night. Three of us shared the water and as the eldest I had the last bath, sometimes topped up with a little more hot water. I now realise that this was unusual in the 1940s, but we had no idea that we were different.

Sparklefizz Mon 11-Nov-19 18:50:02

Alexa I can't believe you are still responding to my comment from way back about the French girl. It was 30 years ago. I really don't care. Sorry.

Alexa Mon 11-Nov-19 18:11:16

Sparklefizz, is she one of those who can wear trousers with no knickers? Teenagers get funny ideas.

Hetty58 Sun 10-Nov-19 18:19:26

I remember being sent with my sister to a holiday camp for children. Mum had bought and packed disposable paper knickers (probably the 'latest thing' at the time). They just fell apart after a few hours of wear!

Sparklefizz Sun 10-Nov-19 18:09:24

Alexa Sparklefizz, maybe she forgot to pack knickers.

Yes, maybe she did .... but she remembered to pack 6 pairs of designer jeans which were lobbed into the washing basket after 1 wear each time. grin

Alexa Sun 10-Nov-19 10:48:54

Sparklefizz, maybe she forgot to pack knickers.

There is sometimes a reasonable explanation. E'g' when my teenage son went on an exchange to Germany he had never seen or heard of a duvet and he worked out that one was supposed to sleep inside the duvet cover.

Hetty58 Thu 07-Nov-19 11:39:59

Lyndiloo, I remember having to fold the pyjamas and keep them under my pillow. I'm pretty sure that we wore the same ones for a week!

Lyndiloo Thu 07-Nov-19 03:13:25

As a child, I was bathed once a week, on a Friday. The tin bath was dragged in from the yard, and filled with about three inches of water. Brother and I shared it.

Saturday was clean knickers/pants and vest day! (One set of underwear per week.) And I don't remember having any 'wash-downs' during the week. (Maybe we did ...?) But that was the norm then.

Times change.

I shower every day, and wash my hair 2/3 times a week. (Clean underwear every day, of course! smile)

I will always remember my mum berating the next-door children. "They sleep in their underwear! You have pyjamas!" A source of great pride to her, obviously.

Callistemon Tue 05-Nov-19 19:26:46

grin

I tend to shake it on to a big powder puff but it still flies around.
Cuticura mildly medicated (hope that's not an advert)
Other makes are available
And apparently corn starch is better

Alexa Tue 05-Nov-19 18:06:06

Callistemon, I once used so much talc I got teased about leaving powdery trails from the bathroom. I have not used it for years.smile

Callistemon Tue 05-Nov-19 12:29:13

Alexa I know that talc is not supposed to be good but I always use a bit under there (but not down below!)

Gonegirl Tue 05-Nov-19 11:05:03

Although I have been in said dirt for almost half of the day already. shock

Gonegirl Tue 05-Nov-19 11:04:16

Well, I'm off to have my little bath (late as usual these days) followed by a quick shower-off. Can't stand being in yesterday's/the night's dirt all day.

Alexa Tue 05-Nov-19 10:58:30

PS I also like to wash and dry under breasts as skin folds like that don't get the air about them.

Alexa Tue 05-Nov-19 10:56:04

This from Wikipedia is of interest as it explains the smelly parts of our skin. It's often enough to do strip washes of these bits.

"In humans, apocrine sweat glands are found only in certain locations of the body: the axillae (armpits), areola and nipples of the breast, ear canal, eyelids, wings of the nostril, perianal region, and some parts of the external genitalia.[8] Modified apocrine glands include the ciliary glands in the eyelids; the ceruminous glands, which produce ear wax; and the mammary glands, which produce milk.[3] The rest of the body is covered by eccrine sweat glands.[9]"

SallyB392 Tue 05-Nov-19 10:36:03

Oh dear, I'm going to have folk cringing......one of my many mental health issues is body dysmorphia. Basically my body disgusts me since it changed so dramatically from a nice figure to fat (I am trying to diet) , so bathing or showering is a big deal for me. Sometimes I go weeks without bathing or showering, but I do wash (this can be done without me having to see my body).

I rarely use BO basher, as I don't seem to sweat much either despite going out with my husband on dog walks etc. I know that my DH would be quick to tell me if I ponged so I don't worry too much. This is a far cry from the woman who used to bathe or shower twice daily, but then I'm not that woman anymore.

I have another friend and she showers daily but really smells bad, so much so that last week I had to tell her. I would add that in my opinion, sometimes it's not the person that smells but the clothing. Perhaps it's not laundered frequently enough, or left sitting in a machine too long after washing. Finally in some cases its not this at all but cooking smells. Go into a fish and chip shop, and I can smell that oily fishy smell on clothing for a fortnight, or cut up onions, or make a curry and the cook often smells for ages after. (Notice I don't mention smokers, I'm giving them a break as that's an illness, an addiction, and needs to be treated with sympathy).

Dare I say it but ssome really obese people seem to always have a smell that isn't nice.

Purplepoppies Tue 05-Nov-19 10:06:50

I remember a Sunday night bath, dashing through to stand infront of the electric fire to get dried (no central heating, bloody freezing).
I shower and hair wash daily. I have short hair that I use products on so it needs washing every day. I'm in the shower less than 5 minutes (roughly 2 songs on my phone) . In the heat (on holiday mainly) I would have two showers.
I seldom get in a bath, mainly because I struggle to get out again and it undoes all the relaxation of it ?

SueDonim Mon 04-Nov-19 23:46:22

LondonGranny I wash my hair in the mornings, usually twice a week, and let it dry naturally, otherwise I look like I've stuck my finger in a live electric socket! grin

LondonGranny Mon 04-Nov-19 23:40:31

@SueDonim
I have very long hair so a long soak gets it wet to some degree which isn't great before bed. I can't be arsed stuffing it into a swimming hat (showercaps don't work as well) and I always let my hair dry naturally or it gets dry and brittle. In fact, I don't own a hairdryer.

MissAdventure Mon 04-Nov-19 23:31:19

A twin tub used to be very satisfying to use.
All that steaming hot, sudsy water swooshing around.