Gransnet forums

Health

NHS group practises

(9 Posts)
Fennel Sun 17-Nov-19 15:52:05

The group practise I belong to is in general very good. I was looking it up online and found this, among other things:
"The practice has:

Six GP partners (four male and two female)

Three salaried GPs (one male and two female)".
It made me wonder, how are GPs paid, and what's the difference between the two types of employment?
Does anyone know?

SueDonim Sun 17-Nov-19 16:04:54

I don't know much about it but I believe that some GP's are self-employed (partners) and some are employed (salaried) by the partners.

I'm sure other Gransnetters will be more informed than me, though!

suziewoozie Sun 17-Nov-19 16:06:16

Partners own the practice between them. They then employ all other staff such as nurses, receptionists and other doctors who therefore receive a salary.

Calendargirl Sun 17-Nov-19 16:09:19

Our GP surgery has 4 doctors, 2 are partners and 2 are salaried.
I suppose the partners get the income from the NHS for treatments, vaccinations, whatever, then they pay the staff including the salaried doctors.
I’m only surmising this, expect others will have more reliable knowledge.

Anniebach Sun 17-Nov-19 17:26:59

We have 11 doctors, 6 Male, 4 female, and 1 female salaried ,
2 of the females - job share.

45 staff members 8 are SRN’s.

ninathenana Sun 17-Nov-19 17:53:36

I'm guessing you've never watched Doctors on lunch time BBC TV ? ?
A lot of the plots revolve around the work relationships between the partners along with the practice manager whom they appoint and the other staff.

It can be silly at times but is also informative about health, NHS and the way things run.

Fennel Sun 17-Nov-19 18:04:26

No I haven't, Nina
I'll try to catch up.
My experience is still with the system in rural France, where it was mostly self-employed 'family practises'. Like ours - we were spoiled:
www.ladepeche.fr/article/2017/09/27/2653500-medecin-de-famille-avec-ses-parents-et-son-grand-pere.html

Fennel Sun 17-Nov-19 18:06:05

ps they have now gone over to the same group practices system as we have here.

EllanVannin Sun 17-Nov-19 18:07:43

It's " puzzle find the GP " from what I've seen at my local practice.
Thank goodness I don't need to see anybody in a hurry !

I only see the nurse when I attend for my INR test but the place is deserted every time I've been.