Gransnet forums

Health

Mammograms - how painful are they really?

(100 Posts)
SirChenjin Mon 18-Nov-19 17:27:16

My first mammogram is in 2 weeks time and the patient information leaflet tells me some women find them uncomfortable but that I can ask for the procedure to be stopped at any time (which kind of defeats the purpose imo). Discomfort tends to be NHSpeak for ‘OWWWW’ so how sore are they? Should I put on my big girl pants that morning and take some deep breaths or are they really just a bit uncomfortable?

Whitewavemark2 Mon 18-Nov-19 17:30:18

I’ll give you my opinion of them once you’ve had it done????

hulahoop Mon 18-Nov-19 17:31:07

I would say can be a bit uncomfortable but like smears are worth the discomfort ?

Sussexborn Mon 18-Nov-19 17:38:14

I’ve sometimes found them uncomfortable and one was very painful! The mamographer must have got out of bed the wrong side. It also depends on how well endowed you are and how dense your breasts are. You could always take a pain killer if you are concerned but it doesn’t take long. Just keep telling yourself that if it’s really painful.

TwiceAsNice Mon 18-Nov-19 17:38:54

I think uncomfortable rather than painful. Your boob feels pulled a bit tight under the machine whilst the radiographer takes image. It’s soon done you’ll be fine

Elegran Mon 18-Nov-19 17:39:42

I find it depends on the person operating the machinery. some of them can do it without it hurting at all, some seem to be in practice for the torture chamber. The majority are careful enough for it to be a bit uncomfortable, but not too bad.
The worst was someone I used to get more than once. She would get me standing with breast on the flat plate, lower the top plate into position fairly tightly but bearable and then raise whole boob sandwich further and further up the pole until I was on the points of my toes, with all my weight pulling on the squashed breast. Luckily she wasn't typical - mostly it is just a few minutes of feeling rather trapped but not painfully.

Don't suffer in silence!

Smileless2012 Mon 18-Nov-19 17:39:46

TBH I do find them very uncomfortable because I'm blessed, or maybe cursed, with firm boobs but it doesn't last long so try not to worry.

Greenfinch Mon 18-Nov-19 17:42:55

I have never found them painful at all but then I am very well-endowed. grin.My friend who has tiny breasts finds them uncomfortable bordering on the painful. Don't worry.It doesn't take very long.

grapefruitpip Mon 18-Nov-19 17:44:38

Doesn't take long, the people doing it are great and I always have a massive slice of cake afterwards.

Septimia Mon 18-Nov-19 17:45:47

I'd say it hurts rather than being painful, if you know what I mean.

Usually, just at the point when I'd like it to stop, it's over and I'm freed from the clamp!

It's really only a very short time, is very soon over and is well worth while.

Hetty58 Mon 18-Nov-19 17:47:50

I've never had one after hearing about them!

Calendargirl Mon 18-Nov-19 17:48:18

Received my letter this morning, have been a few times now. My boobs are quite small, it’s rather uncomfortable, but well worth a couple of minutes discomfort for the future peace of mind if all goes well.

sodapop Mon 18-Nov-19 17:49:23

I'm going for my last one on Wednesday, they are quite uncomfortable but as Septimia said, its only for a short time and worth it.

MamaCaz Mon 18-Nov-19 17:58:44

I find them slightly uncomfortable, nothing more.

That used to be my description of cervical smears too, but eight years through the menopause (age 58) I've had to ditch those because they became too painful!

SirChenjin Mon 18-Nov-19 17:59:22

Thanks everyone smile It does sound like everyone has a different experience ( or maybe you’re just being kind and it hurts like heck - in which case, thank you!) but you’re all right in that it’s absolutely worth the pain/discomfort.

How long does the clamping last for?

BlueSky Mon 18-Nov-19 18:04:11

No problems at all, maybe because I'm big but soft if you see what I mean! On the other hand I detest smears, now they do hurt but then it's over quickly and I think of the potential benefits of these tests.

dragonfly46 Mon 18-Nov-19 18:04:28

Just had one and not painful at all but I am post menopause.

Septimia Mon 18-Nov-19 18:04:29

The clamping is probably a lot shorter than it seems!!

A minute or two, I'd say. Once everything is in the right position and the top plate closed, the mammographer goes behind the screen, takes the 'photo' and comes straight back to release you.

Gelisajams Mon 18-Nov-19 18:08:03

Before my 1st mammogram I heard tales of woe about how much it would hurt. The reality was, it was uncomfortable for seconds! I’ve had a few now and although I can think of better ways to spend my time I’m no longer bothered by them. As with a smear, the more you can relax the quicker the nurse can be.
My advice to Hetty is ignore what you have heard, try it for yourself, then make an informed decision for future mammograms . It really could save your life!

Cherrytree59 Mon 18-Nov-19 18:13:29

Had several mammograms since age of 40 due to family history.
I would go along with uncomfortable rather than painful.

Please don't worry, just plan something nice to look forward to for after the mammogram, such as cake cupcake?

SirChenjin Mon 18-Nov-19 18:22:00

Cake sounds exactly like my kind of reward!

The clamping part doesn’t sound like it lasts for too long - although as you say Septimia it probably feels a lot longer!

Thanks for all the notes of reassurance everyone smile. I’m a firm believer in taking every screening test that’s offered as I’d rather catch these things early where possible, but I know it’s a personal choice.

agnurse Mon 18-Nov-19 18:30:15

I had one done once a few years back due to a suspected cyst (was indeed confirmed to be a cyst and nothing serious). I found it not bad at all. That said, I was sent to a facility that does exclusively breast screening - nothing else. That may have made a difference.

Sara65 Mon 18-Nov-19 18:31:33

I am the world’s biggest wimp, anything medical has me running for the hills, but honestly, it is not so bad, I wouldn’t go as far as saying I look forward to it, that would be weird, but I don’t dread it.

Sparklefizz Mon 18-Nov-19 18:35:27

Take some painkillers about 1.5 hours before you have it done so that they have had time to take effect. It's a very quick procedure.

jeanie99 Mon 18-Nov-19 18:37:49

I just wonder because some people think it is painful and others not so bad is the fact that we have different size breast.
I'm a 38" and don't find it a problem at all.
Now ask me about a colonoscopy!!