Gransnet forums

Health

Fats intolerance?

(15 Posts)
BlueSky Tue 26-Nov-19 13:18:09

Is it normal/usual to get indigestion when eating fatty/oily/fried food if you have avoided them for many years? Also can only cope with small meals. Just hoping it's not another medical issue.

Yehbutnobut Tue 26-Nov-19 13:34:32

If you’ve ‘avoided them for many years’ and suddenly start eating them again, then probably.

A friend decided to up her vegetables, especially greens and devoured a big portion of sprouts in one sitting. Guess what??
Start slowly.

pinkquartz Tue 26-Nov-19 13:40:35

yes i have this issue

It wasn't a big deal until my GP wanted me on a low carb diet and told me to eat more fat and protein.

I got really bad stomach and colon pain. Also if I am not careful I get gall bladder pain BUT I take a supplement "Lipotropic Factors" by Solgar or any other brand you want and it really helps

I know now that eating NO fat was as harmful as too much to my gall bladder and I have spent years gradually increasing...but not enough to take on the low carb diet...

So I ma going to try and heal my stomach more with probiotics and kefir . If you look these up they are now easy to find.

I hope this might help you too. it is awful when every meal causes pain....Also Buscapan from supermarket or chemist helps the pain

M0nica Tue 26-Nov-19 14:09:28

Your bowel bacteria biome adjust to suit your diet. If you have been avoiding fats for a long period fat hungry bacteria will have been reduced in number and bacteria that flourishes on vegetables ans carbs will have flourished. so if you diet changes, your digestive biome will struggle until the balance of bacteria matches your food consumption.

I would think your indigestion in these circumstances would be perfectly normal.

BlueSky Tue 26-Nov-19 15:09:22

Thanks for your replies. Hopefully that's all it is.

timetogo2016 Tue 26-Nov-19 15:12:30

Don`t worry BlueSky ,I have all the issues you mention.
I put it down to age tbh.

GagaJo Tue 26-Nov-19 15:32:36

Yes! Despite being a fatty, I can't tolerate a lot of fat. Fish and chips will give me the runs the next day. As will take away food. Occasionally I'll indulge but I always pay for it the day after.

MissAdventure Tue 26-Nov-19 16:29:47

I always, without fail, get really bad indigestion if I eat too much fat (which I do with depressing regularity)

I do have a hiatus hernia, and presume its connected, somehow.

BradfordLass72 Wed 27-Nov-19 08:02:53

pinkquartz You could also try Slippery Elm as an intestinal healer.

I take acidophilus bifidus capsules regularly as I long ago realised my slowing, elderly digestion did not perform the way I wanted, if I didn't. I too would get wind, indigestion and gyppy tummy.
I don't get any of that now - unless I have a separate infections such as flu.

We take our digestion for granted - until it gives us grief but often all it needs is regular, good bacteria.
That can help us avoid all manner of ills.

I stay away from pharmaceuticals if I can, so natural remedies are always my first choice.

BlueSky Wed 27-Nov-19 09:15:59

Thanks I will try some of the supplements recommended. I don't realise that age must now have a part in all my ailments!

B9exchange Wed 27-Nov-19 09:25:57

If you have a gall bladder blockage it will prevent bile coming out to digest the fats, would be work a check up with your GP to be sure?

BlueSky Wed 27-Nov-19 13:33:18

Thanks B9 recently had full bloods done I guess it would have shown up?

Sparklefizz Wed 27-Nov-19 13:48:44

BlueSky Sometimes our pancreas will stop making digestive enzymes, causing Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency. It's rare and most doctors, and even some gastroenterologists, know very little about it.

Unfortunately I know a great deal about it because I have it and have had to learn the hard way. Check out symptoms of EPI online and if you have them, ask your GP for a Faecal Elastase stool test. You will need to be prescribed replacement enzymes.

Sparklefizz Wed 27-Nov-19 13:49:34

BlueSky You need stool tests, not blood tests.

BlueSky Wed 27-Nov-19 14:49:42

Thanks Sparklefizz.