Gransnet forums

Health

Carsick!

(48 Posts)
Jane10 Sun 01-Dec-19 13:55:20

Is it just me? I seem to have become more prone to carsickness as I've got older. I thought you were supposed to grow out of it. I used to recover pretty quickly too but now I seem to feel awful for ages after I've arrived somewhere. DH is a good and considerate driver but I'm now dreading our forthcoming drive down to the outskirts of London.

SueDonim Tue 03-Dec-19 18:52:55

I think you just need to click on the music or podcast or similar apps and download what you fancy listening to.

GrandmaMoira Tue 03-Dec-19 18:26:41

Moggie - looking out the windows makes it worse, especially as I'm usually on a bus or back seat of taxi. Closing my eyes does help.
SueDonim - I might try earphones. I never use them normally and don't know how to play audio on my phone!

SueDonim Tue 03-Dec-19 15:38:45

Oh, that’s a thought, with the talking tape. My dd was a poor traveller when she was young but we managed to resolve it by giving her a tape player (yes, it was that long ago) with ear phones. The ear phones seemed to override the nausea,

moggie57 Tue 03-Dec-19 12:14:28

try sitting on newspaper and taking a travel sickness tablet.and listen to a talking tape thing.always remember to look out the window at things.i know it sounds crackers but hug a soft toy.cat/dog.works for me..cant you sit in the front and not in the back.even i feel sick when i sit in the back

GrandmaMoira Tue 03-Dec-19 12:07:18

I didn't realise that travel bands/accupressure bands only worked if you look at the horizon. I am usually travelling on a bus or in a taxi so not in the front seat. No wonder they don't work for me.
Monica - I like your idea of Rennies. I will try that.
I'll also try peppermint oil to see if it is better than mints.
Are modern tablets better than old ones? As a child they made me feel really odd and I didn't like them.
It would also help if travelling companions were more sympathetic and didn't expect you to carry on as normal as soon as the journey stops.
My migraines have also got worse again and I suspect there may be a connection.

M0nica Tue 03-Dec-19 11:24:00

Oddly enough I tend to eat indigestion tablets, like Rennies on a car journey. In a car I prefer them to travelsickness tabs.

They are good at soothing a queasy stomach and about 2 every hour seem to be the number and frequency for me.

absthame Mon 02-Dec-19 23:42:30

My wife, daughter, GD, GGD all suffer. I had to bully my wife into learning to drive when she was 20. Once behind the wheel she loved it and rarely has problems when driving. However she is a horrible passenger, screaming and shouting if I'm driving, she cannot put a foot on a boat and has problems in planes.

The only thing that works with all of them is Travel Bands sometimes called Sea Bands, but they are ineffective if they cannot see the horizon, which makes complete sense when recognising that the mind and body is experiencing disorientation, the horizon helps the brain part to orientate itself although the ears may still be reacting out of sync with reality

SueDonim Mon 02-Dec-19 20:27:37

I was on a bus today (rarely use them as we have no public transport where I live) and was amazed at how many people were looking at their phones. I just wouldn't be able to do that.

I associate the smell of Chanel No 5 perfume with sickness as my mum used to wear it on days out when I was a child, and I'd often be sick somehere along the proceedings.

Granless Mon 02-Dec-19 19:39:07

I start by taking Travella herbal tablets from Boots - follow instructions. Maybe something stronger if needed.
I too suffer and most of the sensible things to do have been said here: front car seat; no reading; look ahead latching onto horizon if possible. I also have found travelling on an empty stomach is bad, so eat something before setting off. All these are tried and tested and do work but, there is always that one time, unexpected travel, so frequent stops if possible help.

M0nica Mon 02-Dec-19 18:25:53

Solange travel sickness pills cause drowsiness. Not a good idea if you are driving.

Travel sickness pills are also anti-histamines, and I, for one, have to be careful with taking anti-histamines. I do take travel sickness pills at times, but, usually, only half the recommended dose.

grannylyn65 Mon 02-Dec-19 18:23:44

Sit on a newspaper, works for me ?

Solonge Mon 02-Dec-19 18:17:08

Use motion sickness tablets.

agnurse Mon 02-Dec-19 17:42:15

I'm lucky and don't get carsick, but here are a few tips that I have heard are helpful:

1. Try to sit in the front of the car.

2. Face forward and look at the horizon. Fixing on a stationary point helps some people to feel better.

3. Don't try to read in the car.

4. I agree with cracking open a window, and using acupressure bands, such as Seabands.

Apparently, the problem has to do with your inner ear. Physically, you're stationary in the car, but you're also moving at the same time as the vehicle moves. For some people, their inner ear doesn't cope very well with this. This is why facing forward and avoiding reading is helpful - your inner ear is trying to cope with the movement so it can't tolerate your eyes moving, too, and if you fixate on something stationary, you may be able to "fool" your inner ear into thinking that you're not moving.

When I was a child, my second-youngest brother had a major problem with getting carsick on long trips. Anything more than 2 hours, we needed to carry a bucket for him. There was a particular seat in our old van where he used to sit during longer trips, because it was nearest the door so he could get out if necessary. We used to call it "The Barf Seat" and would all try to avoid being the last one out if it was a short trip, as no one wanted to sit there if my brother didn't have to sit there.

If it's a major problem, you might see if your provider or pharmacist can recommend something to help with the nausea. Just ensure that there aren't any interactions with any other medications you may be taking.

M0nica Mon 02-Dec-19 17:28:20

I am travel sick on boats, if the sea is rough and also planes on occasion. I do not fly now.

On occasion I take travel sickness tablets, but they can make me very sleepy.

Caro57 Mon 02-Dec-19 17:08:17

Seabands - need to be put on a few hours before the journey starts and left in situ - a lot of people find them very good; they work on the relevant acupressure points

Hetty58 Mon 02-Dec-19 16:35:47

I've always been car sick and never grew out of it. I sit in the front, if possible, and watch the road ahead so that I'm aware of hills, turns, etc. coming up. The brain is less confused if there is some warning of movements, so I always concentrate on (front seat?) 'driving'.

I never read or look through side windows for that reason. These days I take a sturdy plastic bag (instead of my childhood bucket) and some boiled lemon sweets, as citrus tends to help. My family know that I have a two hour limit with journeys. We take a break for a walk around or a snack, sometimes an overnight B&B stop as well.

grandtanteJE65 Mon 02-Dec-19 16:22:27

I have never been able to read in a car or on a bus without becoming carsick, and I am always carsick when forced to travel with the kind of driver who has never learned to slow a car properly using the clutch and gear-box rather than just slamming on the brakes.

The best way for me to avoid carsickness is only to travel with a driver in whom I have complete confidence. If he (DH) isn't available it is the train for me, as I am never travel sick in trains or for that matter in ships - gale force winds don't bother me at sea!

There's nowt so queer as folk, is there?

ReadyMeals Mon 02-Dec-19 16:00:58

Check your exhaust. I started getting carsick as a child and it was only in one car. It turned out the exhaust had a crack in it and I was getting sick from exhaust fumes.

M0nica Mon 02-Dec-19 12:56:48

It is the smell of cars that can do it to me. Some years ago, on a hot sunny day, I stood chatting to someone sitting in a car with the door open. After a few minutes I began to feel really queezy and realise dit was the smell -amix of petrol oil and glues used to fix the interiors.

4allweknow Mon 02-Dec-19 12:06:36

Have always suffered terrible motion sickness. Like others when driving I am fine. Have though experienced terrible sickness even when driving when changing cars the new one made me sick could only drive half a mile and wave of sickness would come across me. Had to change the car, only had it two weeks. Fortunately the garage was very understanding and did a great deal on different model. Apparently different cars have different suspension and this can cause motion sickness. It was a French make car.

grandmaz Mon 02-Dec-19 11:40:48

Oh goodness I feel for all of us. I too was very travel sick as a child, then over the years became somewhat better if I was in the front passenger seat, or better still doing the driving. Suddenly in my late 60's I have found myself feeling absolutely terrible again even when in the front, with wondows open etc. Makes me dread any outings - I don't drive as much as I did and never at night, due to cataracts beginning to blur things a little with oncomng lights. (Obvs I have my eyes checked to ensure that I'm safe to drive, but I still avoid it if someone else is willing and able)
Straight roads are better than twists and turns and smooth progress is infinitely better than having a driver who brakes suddenly and races around. Very recently I missed a wonderful evenings entertainment as by the time our party had been driven to the venue (some 40 miles along country lanes, at night) I was beyond speech and barely managed to open the door and stagger to a grass verge to be ill, when we arrived. I spent the next hour in the Ladies room shaking like a leaf, being sick and feeling dreadful before creeping into a very empty bar to request a glass of water and a seat out of the way. Everyone was lovely, but of course I had the return journey to get through as well. Just about made it home with all windows wide open and no conversation at all. Never again. Had I had my usual handbag, I'd have got out my bottle of peppermint oil and sniffed that during the journey. It really does help with the nausea, although it doesn't cure it entirely. Travel sickness is really nasty - I don't think that anyone who is fortunate enough not to have it, can imagine how ill one feels and for how long even after the journey has stopped. I had thought that I was unusual as I don't know anyone else who has this - it's some comfort to know that I'm far from alone!

Pudding123 Mon 02-Dec-19 11:31:05

I am 65 ,don't drive and still suffer from travelsickness ,I went to a Yoga class a few years ago but all the putting my head down and then up really made me nauseous so much so after 30 minutes of trying to pretend all was OK I went home and didn't feel well enough to get up until 6 hours later!I have given up visiting my sister in the lake district because of the winding roads,If any one has any solutions I am sure all my fellow sufferer s would be grateful.

TrendyNannie6 Mon 02-Dec-19 11:12:45

I suppose I’m quite unusual as never feel car sick in the front of car. But can feel sick if I’m travelling in the back, but I wear the wristbands which are brilliant, the work by pressure points and I always chew airwaves chewing gum it’s quite strong

Kartush Mon 02-Dec-19 11:10:46

I always take my kindle and read, if I am concentrating on my book for the first hour or so of a long drive I find that I will be ok. Also keep the car cool that helps

grandmac Mon 02-Dec-19 11:08:15

Have had this problem since childhood and have found that sipping 7up works a treat. Not Coca Cola or any others, just 7up. Also helps with morning sickness too!!