Gransnet forums

Health

Carsick!

(47 Posts)
Jane10 Sun 01-Dec-19 13:55:20

Is it just me? I seem to have become more prone to carsickness as I've got older. I thought you were supposed to grow out of it. I used to recover pretty quickly too but now I seem to feel awful for ages after I've arrived somewhere. DH is a good and considerate driver but I'm now dreading our forthcoming drive down to the outskirts of London.

MawB Sun 01-Dec-19 14:28:06

I found I would get carsick if I tried to read anything -even looking at the map. In a minicab/Uber I tend to sit in the back but journeys are usually short and electric/hybrid cars seem to leave me feeling fine.
When Paw was alive, I sometimes just had to take over the driving (although he was the worst passenger ever) and the sickness disappeared.
You have my sympathy, wish I had more helpful suggestions.

SirChenjin Sun 01-Dec-19 14:50:39

Not just you! I though I’d outgrow it but no, I still get sea sick just watching waves, or going on a roller coaster, or watching my son playing a computer game. I definitely can’t read or look at a screen in a car without feeling as sick as a dog so journeys tend to be very boring affairs.

Septimia Sun 01-Dec-19 15:59:13

Me, too. I always felt ill in the car when I was a child. Nibbling biscuits helped.

I didn't grow out of it. I'm fine when driving but, as a passenger, I need to be able to watch where we're going, so reading or anything that stops me looking directly ahead for more than a few seconds is troublesome.

Sitting in the front or looking forwards between the front seats from the back means that I can anticipate bumps and bends.

I don't find journeys boring, though, as I like to look at the scenery and have seen a lot of wildlife or interesting buildings that way.

Barmeyoldbat Sun 01-Dec-19 16:05:54

Not just you, Have got worse as I get older. I now travel with a load of Boots own brand travel sickness tablets. Went into town one day without taking one and just made the 45 min trip. Straight off the bus to the nearest bin to throw up. Never again

Jane10 Sun 01-Dec-19 16:36:45

Phew it not just me. I couldn't possibly even try to read or take my eyes off the road in a moving vehicle.
Once when I was driving on a twisty road I had to stop and get out as I'd made myself sick.
Just thought I'd grown out of it. Stugeron for me!

TwiceAsNice Sun 01-Dec-19 16:47:38

Can’t read and am fine when I’m the driver. Usually ok in the passenger seat but can only do short journeys in the back. I find sea bands helpful, travel sickness tablets make me feel worse

Katyj Sun 01-Dec-19 17:49:21

I've just made myself feel sick winding the lights around the Christmas tree ! Stugeron for me too .

Jane10 Sun 01-Dec-19 18:36:21

Blimey!

GrandmaMoira Sun 01-Dec-19 19:08:47

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I've got worse in the last few years. It's important to eat something light and plain before travelling. Buses are bad and I am sometimes too ill on arrival at my nearest big shopping centre to go in a shop. I go to the loo, have a sit down for a while and then go home.
Taxis can be dreadful. Some cars are very low and others smell strange. Worst of all is those smelly fir trees. I went in a taxi with those smelly things a few months ago, I nearly passed out and took ages to recover. I wish I could find an answer.

sodapop Sun 01-Dec-19 20:11:15

It's unpleasant feeling travel sick and makes you put off going anywhere. I can't travel in the back of a car and definitely no reading. Fortunately I usually drive or sit in the front passenger seat. Trains are about the only form of transport where I never feel sick.

M0nica Sun 01-Dec-19 20:19:53

I have always suffered from travelsickness. I thought it had got better recently, but all that has happened is that as all the roads near where we live, or on my usual travel routes are either motorways, dual carriageways or fairly good A roads, I had been lulled into a sense of false seccurity.

We recently did a five day combined car and coach tour in north Wales. Even though DH drives well, I arrived at the hotel feeling really queasy. By the end of the fourth day. I was beginning to feel travel sick 24/7. We share the driving and I drove home. I still felt sick and had to stop several times for fresh air and recovery time. It took me a week to recover and I have been getting travel sickness again regularly on even on nice straight roads and good roads, ever since.

Jane10 Sun 01-Dec-19 20:54:36

I was so taken aback to feel so dreadful today and to take so long to recover. I think M0nica has hit the nail on the head. I'm used to town driving or on good motorways. Today's drive was on country roads which were fair up and down and round about. The low sun was blinding too.
I'm feeling a bit better now 6 hours later but not 100%.
Hope the long drive to London (then back) isn't too bad. 😕

Jane10 Sun 01-Dec-19 20:55:10

Fairly!

SueDonim Sun 01-Dec-19 23:15:18

You don't think they're a kind of migraine, do you, Jane10? Especially with the low sun today.

I hate those photos you get nowadays on Facebook that kind of move as you move the page, do you know the ones I mean? I had car sickness at the cinema once, when watching a car chase in Basic Instinct. confused

Katyj Mon 02-Dec-19 07:07:47

Yes me too Sue.I once had to leave the cinema as I felt so sick, can't remember what it was called, but it was about a boat on the ocean.Know what you mean about scrolling too, I'm definitely worse now I'm older.

Jane10 Mon 02-Dec-19 08:17:39

Don't go to see 'LeMans66' if you have a problem with motion sickness. I went with DH and sat with my eyes tight shut for most of it!
I felt it only fair to go with him as he'd come to see the 'Downton Abbey' film with me.

nettyandmasey Mon 02-Dec-19 10:42:19

I use the wrist bands that work by pressing on certain points on your wrist. Not sure how, but they do help.

loopylou Mon 02-Dec-19 10:44:04

Me too Jane10 , I was travel sick as a child but seemed to grow out of it but started again when I was pregnant 40 years ago and has continued ever since.
I have tried just about everything, hyoscine travel tablets work the best (Kwells or Boots own) but still aren't 100% effective if flying.
It's really miserable isn't it?

Flossieturner Mon 02-Dec-19 10:52:25

I suffer from this too. The chemist can supply motion sickness tablets . I take one on the night before I travel and another on the morning of travel.. Without them ,would be knocked out after a journey.

jaylucy Mon 02-Dec-19 10:56:31

I have been travel sick since I was a child and can remember several times when I threw up as I got off the bus or had to be brought home because I had been sick.
It only got better when I had to go to school in the nearest town by bus from the age of 11!
Even now I can't read when in motion - navigating is not for me - thank heaven for sat navs!
I also have to be facing forward on a train, in the front seat in a car and on a bus, able to have a clear view straight ahead!
When flying I wear those wristbands ( after one time, returning from Australia , I was sick while we were circling Heathrow, while waiting for Concorde to take of and land!)
The old sucking barley sugar or a peppermint helps. I have found.

geekesse Mon 02-Dec-19 11:05:41

Simple solution - you do the driving. In general people who are driving don’t get travel sickness on the journey.

grandmac Mon 02-Dec-19 11:08:15

Have had this problem since childhood and have found that sipping 7up works a treat. Not Coca Cola or any others, just 7up. Also helps with morning sickness too!!

Kartush Mon 02-Dec-19 11:10:46

I always take my kindle and read, if I am concentrating on my book for the first hour or so of a long drive I find that I will be ok. Also keep the car cool that helps

TrendyNannie6 Mon 02-Dec-19 11:12:45

I suppose I’m quite unusual as never feel car sick in the front of car. But can feel sick if I’m travelling in the back, but I wear the wristbands which are brilliant, the work by pressure points and I always chew airwaves chewing gum it’s quite strong