Gransnet forums

Health

rotten cold virus....

(24 Posts)
Patsy70 Sat 28-Mar-20 15:20:42

Sound familiar? confused

Patsy70 Mon 09-Dec-19 17:58:10

Sounds like an epidemic! I had a lovely week in Estepona, Spain with my sisters at the end of October and felt on top of the world. Within a day of returning to the UK I developed this virus. I haven't had the flu jab yet this year, but will try and arrange it before Christmas. I started taking Echinacea & vitamin C, from Healthspan, when the symptoms started, but still they persist. Am still feeling very tired, especially once it starts to get dark, which may also be due to SAD!

Callistemon Mon 09-Dec-19 09:59:46

That could be why I have to keep pushing myself to do anything and just want to hibernate

paintingthetownred Mon 09-Dec-19 09:58:31

So sorry to hear this it sounds really tough. Felt sorry for myself last week as DD aged 14 came down with it two days before her mock olevels and she never usually gets ill.

I have emerged touch wood unscathed. Don't know exactly how as I am not eating as I should. Maybe it is the 1000 milligram vitamin c fizzy tables that I keep on the kitchen windowsill.

all best
painting

boheminan Mon 09-Dec-19 09:58:20

How's everyone doing? (sniff....)

Davida1968 Mon 09-Dec-19 09:52:57

DH & I have both had this recently but we are over it now. I think that the time it takes you to get over it depends upon:
1.) your general state of health, and
2). whether you can switch off from everything and just rest - which (IMO) is the best course of action.

BlueBelle Mon 09-Dec-19 09:50:30

Flu and colds are very different charlie ?
I ve been coughing for three weeks bit of a sore throat but feel normal in myself so just waiting for it to go when it’s ready There seems to be a very long lasting bug going round

Callistemon Mon 09-Dec-19 09:49:57

Yes, it has visited me too and although I feel much better after 3 weeks, I still have an irritating cough and blocked ears, something I rarely get.

I hadn't had my flu jab but I don't think it was flu anyway, just a really rotten cold.
I'm taking Vit D and C when i remember!

Get well soon.

Charleygirl5 Mon 09-Dec-19 09:44:58

OMG by the sounds of it I will stay indoors at least until next May. I had the flu jab and hadno ill effects afterwards.

Chestnut Mon 09-Dec-19 09:36:50

You really need to take Echinacea which boosts your immune system. At the first sign of a tickly throat take the full dose and it knocks the cold on the head before it takes hold of you. You may get a slight sniffle for a day or two but it won't develop any further. You can take it for a month or two Nov-Jan as a preventative and also to help you recover from illness (to avoid picking up anything else while you're run down).
I get mine from Healthspan but they are available at pharmacies and health shops. I don't know how good the other brands are, I just know the Healthspan ones are wonderful and have saved me from a lot of illness.

Joyfulnanna Mon 09-Dec-19 09:20:33

Yes I've had it for last 5 weeks. Got antibiotics and green flem turned clear after 2 weeks. Still feel it but walking in the fresh (albeit cold) air helps me feel better.
Get well soon!

ananimous Mon 09-Dec-19 09:00:44

Sending best wishes for all to have a speedy recovery
flowers

AllotmentLil Mon 09-Dec-19 08:49:15

DH and I both have this, just a month or so after the last one ... Does anyone take anything to help prevent colds?

Patsy70 Fri 06-Dec-19 17:22:51

Sorry to hear that so many of you are suffering from this virus. I've had it for about 5 weeks now, although it had cleared for a couple of days and then returned. I haven't been to the GP, as the usual recommendation is to just take paracetamol and drink plenty of fluids, which I've been doing. I lost my appetite at first, the dry cough turned into a chesty one, but the dry itchiness in the throat has returned, waking me in the night. I feel low in energy too. Oh, well, moan over. Wishing you all better very soon.

BlueBelle Fri 06-Dec-19 17:00:30

My big toughty teenage grandson is now in his third week can’t sleep for coughing and breathlessness, ears bulging, head hurting but a viral thing he took anti biotics but made not a scrap of difference

cornergran Fri 06-Dec-19 16:39:28

The virus has also visited here and yes, it takes a long while for it to clear. I’m sorry bohemian all you can do is take it as easy as you can and wait for it to pack it’s bags and go. I’d agree with kitty, energy takes a long while to return so don’t overdo things when you start to feel better.

boheminan Fri 06-Dec-19 16:28:20

Thanks everyone for your responses.

It's certainly nasty for a cold virus. In my innocence I imagined colds came and went after a few days snuffling and sneezing, but this thing has knocked and and Mr b sideways. Greendress - it's the same here with the stopping and starting, and it begun about 2 weeks after the jab. I'll keep an open mind on that one.
'Only' about another 10 days to (hopefully) go for recovery time. Yo Ho Ho!!! tchenvy

kittylester Fri 06-Dec-19 15:50:13

Dh and I have had it. The cold went after 10 days or so but we are only now able to function for the whole day and I think this might be week 4!

Greendress Fri 06-Dec-19 15:44:16

My husband and I have both had it for over 2 weeks. We have a day where we feel as if we're recovering then it starts up again. We're beginning to wonder if it's connected to the flu jab which I believe is now an extra strength one for over 70's.

kircubbin2000 Fri 06-Dec-19 14:07:26

I had it for 3 weeks just after another illness. It's really hard getting back to normal.

Oldandverygrey Fri 06-Dec-19 14:05:13

Bo - partner and I in a similar situation, just entering into week 2. Like you am taking paracetamol every few hours, we also had the flu jab, just got to ride it out really, hope you feel better soon.

Fiachna50 Fri 06-Dec-19 14:01:27

Get well soon. The one positive is hopefully you will feel better to enjoy Christmas.

Tweedle24 Fri 06-Dec-19 13:50:34

I had this back in October and it really ‘knocked me for six’. However, after just over two weeks, I made a rapid recovery. Hope you too are soon feeling better,

boheminan Fri 06-Dec-19 13:45:31

I'm seeking a bit of sympathy heresad. Both partner and myself have had a rotten cold virus for nearly 2 weeks now.

I dragged myself to docs a week ago, and was told I can't be put on antibiotics as it's viral, so just knocking back paracetamol every few hours. Partner has cancer, I'm over 70yrs, so we're both at high risk. We've both had the flu and pneumonia jab. It's just got to the point where I can see no end to it, and worse, I don't know of anyone else who is a fellow sufferer. Has anyone else out there got a similar thing? Just to know we're not the only ones would be a relief.