Gransnet forums

Health

Mental health therapy

(7 Posts)
ladytina42 Wed 18-Dec-19 16:21:58

I’ve suffered for years with low self esteem which has been mentally very painful at times. Due to a recent flair up I am finally considering private therapy.

Has anyone used a therapist before, how useful did you find it? How many sessions did you have?

Interested to hear people’s experiences

Sussexborn Wed 18-Dec-19 16:32:19

Suggest you ask around with friends and neighbours. I was surprised how many had help for similar issues but hadn’t mentioned them previously.

Main thing is to find someone you are comfortable with. I picked up quite quickly that the man I was referred to wasn’t connecting at all. I actually challenged him and found he was emigrating in two weeks! This was NHS so at least I wasn’t paying for the privilege of not being listened to.

endlessstrife Wed 18-Dec-19 17:05:37

I had CBT a few years ago. I was struggling with anxiety about a health issue, which I’ve always had, but seemed to worsen when I reached a certain age, ie menopause. I realised this after three sessions, out of a possible six. I did feel that the therapist was too young really, around same age as my children, which inhibited me slightly. In this case, she was fine, but I think if my problems had any deeper meaning, I may have struggled more and wanted someone closer to my age. Hope this helps.

Doodle Wed 18-Dec-19 19:29:11

If you are paying, find someone that you feel you can trust and who listens to you.
Low self esteem is having a low opinion of yourself.
Know this, no one is perfect. Everyone has self doubt. We all have worries troubles and anxieties. Everyone you know who you think has a wonderful life is probably just as worried and anxious as you underneath. There is nothing wrong with you
We are all just people trying to make our way in life. Sometimes that is easy, other times it is hard. Be kind to yourself.
In case you are wondering, I am not some kind of do gooder, just someone who has seen my wonderful DGS brought low by self doubt and low self esteem. If he only knew how loved he was and how wonderful he is in my eyes.
I wish you well. Take care.

Sillygrandma5GK Thu 19-Dec-19 06:32:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Fennel Thu 19-Dec-19 12:42:30

There are so many different therapy approaches these days, many more than when I was a therapist when the main approach was behavioural. A bit like CBT, which was just coming in, as the psychoanalytic was going out
It's difficult to know what to go for. As others have said, personal recommendation could help, but even then it depends on the person and the type of problem.
My view is that CBT is more flexible, but it's your relationship with the therapist that matters most.
Good luck Tina smile.

Atqui Thu 19-Dec-19 12:48:32

I know someone who works with women who have this problem, using IEMT, NLP, and hypnotherapy .She has excellent results in changing peoples lives. I’m sure we are not allowed to advertise coaches or therapists on here , but if you are interested PM me.