Gransnet forums

Health

Pick-me-up to get over flu

(40 Posts)
Laurely Wed 18-Dec-19 20:34:14

I don't mean to whine, but I am feeling sorry for myself. I am 70. I started to be unwell on 7 Dec. That is 11 days ago. I have talked to dr, who said it's flu or a cold with flu-like symptoms. I have a barking cough that is occasionally 'productive', but the worst thing is feeling weak and exhausted all the time. I get up late and go to bed early, but then don't sleep well. Though l am not interested in food right now, I normally eat a healthy diet. Do you think vitamin supplements would help? Has anyone any ideas how I can get going again?

Xrgran Sun 12-Jul-20 15:56:18

It seems like lots had this in December so it was about before we heard of it.

NfkDumpling Fri 26-Jun-20 08:06:35

I think it well could have been. I caught whatevermysonhad, but not too badly - and lost my sense of smell completely, but I think we both got it again when we got back from holiday at the beginning of March, only worse - and then I got my sense of smell and taste back again. With bells on! I’m now aware of smells ALL the time! It’s difficult for me to use the cough as a symptom as I start coughing when the leaves start to turn and continue most of the winter!

MamaCaz Thu 25-Jun-20 22:52:22

NfkDumpling

Chatting about Covid yesterday (as you do), my DS said he felt sure he and DiL had had it just before Christmas, DGS seemed to have escaped it. I remembered seeing something on GN and found this thread. Do the symptoms sound familiar?!

I've just re-read the post I put on here in December, and my description certainly ticks quite a few boxes for possible covid.
If it was covid though, it certainly dragged on, because I had repeated bouts of illness through Jan and Feb, which also ticked many of the boxes.

NfkDumpling Thu 25-Jun-20 22:11:37

I would love to know how many of us now have antibodies.

Callistemon Thu 25-Jun-20 14:56:09

Yes they do and describe what I had around that time.
It lasted for weeks and I'm sure is still lingering now, whatever it was.

NfkDumpling Thu 25-Jun-20 14:45:57

Chatting about Covid yesterday (as you do), my DS said he felt sure he and DiL had had it just before Christmas, DGS seemed to have escaped it. I remembered seeing something on GN and found this thread. Do the symptoms sound familiar?!

Hetty58 Sun 22-Dec-19 08:33:47

When I was five, the whole family (apart from Dad) had the flu on Christmas day. We were all in bed, yet still he cooked the massive turkey. The cooking smells made me even more nauseous. Dad and the cat ate as much as they could manage!

Hetty58 Sun 22-Dec-19 08:30:16

If I felt that ill, I'd do the absolute minimum possible. The body needs to rest and recuperate. Housework etc. can always wait!

travelsafar Sun 22-Dec-19 08:26:27

Aww you poor hings, really hope you all start to feel much better by the 25th. Nothing worse than having lots to do and fell really rough with an illness. Sending you hugs and flowers and wishes for speedy recoveries. flowers

EllanVannin Sat 21-Dec-19 10:51:21

Mollymalone, my late mum was born in Castletown and a cousin's family live in Onchan. I have an uncle who's in Abbotswood nursing home. Lovely memories of the island.

My late aunt and uncle used to run the post office in Peel many years ago.

Sara65 Sat 21-Dec-19 09:54:37

Today I feel much improved, just as well as I’m looking after two small exited children, the youngest has a tummy upset, so I’m so hoping I don’t get that!

Laurely Sat 21-Dec-19 09:35:04

Fingers crossed, but this morning - a fortnight to the day after it began - I feel as though I can cope with getting up and getting on. (Still coughing, still in bed at 9:30am, drinking tea - but I made it, not MrL) My improvement is probably because the lurgy has run its course, though I started on the Floradix and the echinacea yesterday. MrL thinks such things are a waste of money, but I shall take them as I have now got them. To leave them in the cupboard would definitely be a waste.

Best wishes to all of you who are poorly. I hope you get well soon.

PamelaJ1 Fri 20-Dec-19 19:37:06

I feel sooo heavy.
Sniffing, coughing and generally feeling horrible.
It’s not flu but seems like the nearest thing to it. I’m drinking a lot and taking tablets to dry everything up so I can work.

This is one of my busiest weeks of the year, I’ve cancelled most of my clients. Not cancelled them but given them the opportunity to cancel me! Most took up the offer thank goodness.

I’m just off to bed now. I did have the jab but, as I said, I don’t think it’s flu. When I had that a few years ago I couldn’t stand up.
Hope we all feel better soon.

Mollymalone6 Fri 20-Dec-19 19:32:13

Hello EllanVannin. I I'm happy to say I'm a Manx citizen thanks to the lovely government minister who guided me through. Although I left years ago I have happy memories of Ramsey, Andreas, Douglas and Peel, to name only the most prominent! I only have whisky but if that doesn't work tonight I'll get the rum tomorrow tchsmile

EllanVannin Fri 20-Dec-19 19:24:13

I feel really sorry for you ladies. Flu/colds knock the stuffing out of you and take a long time before you begin to feel anything like human.

If your appetite is lost I can swear by Heinz cream of chicken soup to get you going again. It works for me, it being light and easy to digest.

I'm keeping everything crossed here as for the last two Christmas's I suffered dreadfully and a lot of stuff went to waste.
A drop of dark rum,lemon,honey in hot / boiled water kept me going.

I hope you ladies see the back of it before the big day.

Mollymalone6 Fri 20-Dec-19 19:01:41

MissA many years ago I got two different flu attacks one after the other so, yes, you've probably got two different colds. So awful (passes tissue box and orange juice) x

MamaCaz, I've never been less hungry! I'm not big to begin with so guessing the "small" wardrobe will be perused for Xmas attire tchsmile

MamaCaz Fri 20-Dec-19 18:53:30

Someone up-thread mentioned a cough that nearly makes you sick. Our family have all had that over the last few months, with one actually being sick with the cough.
In our case, other symptoms included it starting like a cold, thinking we were improving after a couple of days, then really taking a down-turn.
Loss of appetite and dulled taste-buds lasted ages. Fatigue, weakness, and several other things!
It was unpleasant and long-lasting, but didn't really resemble flu as I know it.

I'm not sure there is anything that can be done other than let it run its course, rest as much as you can, and generally try to eat well and look after yourself.

MissAdventure Fri 20-Dec-19 18:44:45

I'm sure it is just a cold, Molly.
I was feeling better after a couple of rough days last week.

Perhaps its a different cold?

Mollymalone6 Fri 20-Dec-19 18:42:26

Oh MissA I feel for you. That's just how I was yesterday! Hopefully like me it's just a cold. X

MissAdventure Fri 20-Dec-19 18:38:19

Mine seems to have resurrected itself and I'm feeling rotten again today.
I have loads to do and have done nothing much.
My legs feel like they might fall off.

Patsy70 Fri 20-Dec-19 18:29:47

Esspee - Sorry, but what is kimchi? I eat live yoghurt every day, but still managed to get the virus - cough, sore throat, no energy, extreme tiredness - which has lasted about 5 weeks and seems to be doing the rounds. I take vit C and echinacea. Feeling much better now, thank goodness.

Esspee Fri 20-Dec-19 08:40:51

Thanks to all the recent research I make sure my gut is topped up with "good" bacteria through eating live yoghurt and fermented products such as kimchi.
Haven't had a cold or flu for over 15 years.

Mollymalone6 Fri 20-Dec-19 08:17:37

Thanks Laurely. Turns out I have a bad cold. Funny, I'm so happy but it's just because I don't have flu!! Get well soon everyone who does flowers x

Laurely Thu 19-Dec-19 12:14:00

Barmeyoldbat and Farview: I recognise that cough! Not nice at all. Chestnut and QuaintIrene: I am going to try echinacea. Bingo12: yes, I had the flu jab, though only in late Nov. Mr L, who had one in early Oct, has not succumbed. I don't feel up to making (or taking) MawB's concoction, but I have ordered a bottle of Floradix (the magnesium one), BradfordLass. Thinking back to last week, I am on the mend - but it is sooo slow and everything is such an effort. Thank you everyone for advice and information and I hope Sara65, MissAdventure. Mollymalone6 and all those suffering get well soon. Farview: you in particular. A long flight while you are feeling like this would not be good.

farview Thu 19-Dec-19 10:33:00

Snap Barmeyoldbat also had the flu jab...never have had a cold like this one...feel floored also...frustratingly annoying...cough sounds the same as your also..yuk!!