Gransnet forums

Health

Sciatica

(41 Posts)
Lindylou23 Tue 31-Dec-19 22:19:56

MyDH has had chronic sciatica for last 7 weeks, he cannot get to see a gp only a pharmacist who has prescribed him cocodamol, tramadol, slow release tramadol,diazapam and amitriptyline I have also bought him a tens machine all with little or no effect. We are now at the stage of thinking it could be something else he is rocking in pain as we speak. Some nights he is up all night.
We are now thinking of paying for him to have a MRI scan. Has any one else had a similar experience or should he see a consultant first? We are at a loss what to do next, any advice would be gratefully appreciated.
Happy new year

Fiachna50 Tue 07-Jan-20 23:50:05

Lindylou apologies didnt read whole thread. Sorry to hear re your husbands results and a bloomin disgrace with the rigmarole. However, what I wanted to say is, one of my previous managers had Myeloma, it can be treated as I know they attended hospital for appointments. What it consisted of I don't know. Unfortunately Lymphoma I know nothing about. I very much feel for you but please remember your husband needs you now. You will get a ton of support from the good folks on this forum. You are not alone.

Fiachna50 Tue 07-Jan-20 23:40:39

If your surgery is insistent that he cannot see a GP. I would either complain in writing to the Practice Manager or take him to A&E and just tell whoever you see that your poor husband is in agony. Make it clear how much pain the man is in. This is ridiculous. I feel very sorry for him. Sciatica is extremely painful, nobody should be left in this much pain.

Lindylou23 Tue 07-Jan-20 23:08:58

DH has had results of mri,he has shadows by his spine,consultant used words of Lymphoma or myeloma, and said he needs blood tests,but did not say anymore,I am beside myself worrying of seriousness of his condition.I cannot stop crying my head is all over the place. DH is very pragmatic about while thing. I wish I could be the same

Mrst1405 Sun 05-Jan-20 20:26:05

I suffered with sciatica fir quite a while. After an MRI I was rushed in with stenosis and had 2 decompression and undercuts within 3 months. I had to retire at 52. Keep insisting you see a gp and have your mri accessed.

Lisagran Sun 05-Jan-20 19:08:11

I had agonising sciatica last year - my GP just suggested pain killers and said it would “go in a few weeks”. I don’t like taking pain killers. A friend suggested a local sports massage chap could sort it. I was unsure, as I’m certainly not sporty. But I saw him - 3 times in all - and he sorted the pain. He said often sciatica is caused by the Piriformis muscle getting trapped, which presses on the sciatic nerve. He was able to manipulate the muscles. He also taught me some simple stretches to do, with a foam roller, to keep the muscles freed up. May not be the same for others, but it worked for me.

Hetty58 Sun 05-Jan-20 14:55:31

That was in August 2017. Now it's 80% better, usually stable, with an occasional relapse. This year, it suddenly went and the kids called an ambulance. I was whisked off to hospital for a check up and all the staff were very kind. Muscle spasm this time. Sometimes you just have to make a nuisance of yourself, insist and shout for attention, I'm afraid.

You will need to see the GP soon with the scan results to be referred for an appointment with a consultant.

Hetty58 Sun 05-Jan-20 14:34:07

I'd just take him straight to A & E! My doctor has a similar system of offloading/sending on to physiotherapy. It is not always the right thing, though.

When my lower back went, I had a private MRI at a Spire hospital. I saw my GP with the results and was referred to a consultant.

Spire pointed out a problem with my upper back too. I (waited and) later had a NHS MRI for that.

Meanwhile, with the disc bulges diagnosed, I saw a private physio (very good indeed) to reduce my pain while waiting for the NHS physios (two different appointments, two different physios for the upper and lower back). They were rubbish by comparison to the private one (sorry to say).

Yes, it cost money but I was in such agony and so sleep deprived that it was worth it!

Missfoodlove Sun 05-Jan-20 14:17:33

I had sciatica a few years ago, the only thing that stopped the pain was diazepam.
I too would be concerned if all those drugs were not giving relief.
I suggest you keep a 48 hour diary logging medication, pain and activity.
Take this if you see any medical professionals.

Lindylou23 Sun 05-Jan-20 13:42:29

Timetogo2016, he's had physio, acupuncture and seen a chiropractor x6 all to no avail

Lindylou23 Sun 05-Jan-20 13:37:02

We have been to Spire and he's had an mri, results Tuesday.

Lindylou23 Sun 05-Jan-20 13:36:05

Believe me our pharmacist can prescribe medication, but not sick note that is when you see a gp crazy!!!

Charleygirl5 Sat 04-Jan-20 13:06:54

Shrub no- that is why I queried if this was going on in this country.

clementine Sat 04-Jan-20 12:58:42

There is no way our pharmacist would prescribe anything like that without a prescription. I had a rip roaring UTI recently, having had them before I knew all the signs , but he wouldn't give me anything other than Ibroprofen. Thankfully our GP operate a triage telephone system and I was able to speak to a GP who then sent the script straight to pharmacy. The pharmacist had it ready in less than 10minutes so I was very grateful.

Shrub Sat 04-Jan-20 12:54:48

I didn't realise that pharmacists could prescribe such medicines. Is this right?

clementine Sat 04-Jan-20 12:34:38

I actually was in shock when I read your post. I cannot believe any receptionist can take it on herself to decide if a condition warrants a GP referral . That is horrendous practice. As others have said, who diagnosed the sciatica in the first place. It shouldn't be as acute as this for 7 weeks, and given the strong medication that makes it even more concerning if it's not touching it.

I would definitely be going to either out of hours or A & E He needs a scan. Alternatively you can opt for the private route , often referral isn't necessary, you can check out your nearest private hospital and they will list their consultants under speciality with a contact number.

Please do not leave this any longer. Back pain not responding to strong analgesia needs investigating ASAP

timetogo2016 Thu 02-Jan-20 11:42:10

Your husband can refer himself for physio.
Iv`e had it for over 2 year done physio it didn`t work.
Bought some red tiger balm and it does help a little.

Daisymae Thu 02-Jan-20 11:34:07

I would go to a and e. Back pain can be caused by numerous issues, some serious. He is entitled to medical care in this country. Sometimes you have to fight for it.

Beechnut Thu 02-Jan-20 09:51:36

My DH thought the pain he had was sciatica but when he went to the doctors with something else he ended up being scanned and his ‘sciatica thought’ was something very different.

GrandmaMoira Thu 02-Jan-20 09:34:56

Do you have a local urgent care centre? If so, that would be a good place for your husband to go, otherwise A&E. Either way he should get to see a doctor.
I have had sciatica and was quite unable to walk or sit at its worst and had a long time off work. For me, along with painkillers, physio helped most.

Marilla Thu 02-Jan-20 08:57:05

The pain from an attack of sciatica can be unbearable and indescribable. Sitting in a car is nigh impossible.
Without sounding rude, is your husband taking these prescribed pills at regular intervals or taking them sporadically to see which has the best effect?

I wouldn’t put up with not seeing GP. I would tell receptionist it is necessary to have an emergency appointment. Otherwise I would take your husband to A&E. But if he cannot sit in a car, it might be an ambulance that is needed.

Oopsminty Thu 02-Jan-20 08:45:35

I had sciatica for a few weeks. Couldn't sit in the car!

Hellish pain.

My GP eventually referred me to a consultant who prescribed me Fentanyl patches and injections.

It went eventually but my word. It can be painful

Why can you not get to a GP?

Charleygirl5 Thu 02-Jan-20 08:39:21

Is this happening in this country because a pharmacist does not normally dispense heavy duty drugs like Tramadol without a doctor's prescription.

You should not be paying for tests or treatment- he should be seeing a GP and I would not leave the surgery until I had had a word with the practice manager and I agree with others, this needs to be taken further because it is not up to a receprionist to decide who sees or does not see a doctor.

Greenfinch Thu 02-Jan-20 08:37:04

You are not obliged to tell a receptionist why you need an appointment. You just need to say "personal"

cornergran Thu 02-Jan-20 08:17:28

I think you are fortunate lindilou. Excellent service indeed. No one should be left in excruciating pain for 7 weeks lindylou, no matter the pressure being experienced by the surgery. The level of care is bordering on dangerous. It sounds as if your husband is losing mobility as well. This isn’t ‘just’ back pain. I’m beginning to think not only is a complaint essential, if a further attempt for a GP appointment fails a trip to A&E is warranted. It’s an emergency because of a failure in primary care. Vital to find the cause of the pain. I’m so sorry this is happening.

Lyndiloo Thu 02-Jan-20 02:08:58

This is ridiculous! What is our NHS coming to (presuming that you live in the UK, Lindylou) if you can't get an appointment to see a doctor?

Sciatica isn't just 'back pain'. It's excrutiating! I suffer from this too, and usually have two or three attacks a year. When I do, I just 'phone my surgery and the doctor writes out a prescription for anti-inflammatories, and pain killers. When I had my first attack, I told the surgery that I couldn't attend, as I couldn't walk, and that I would need a doctor's home visit. This soon got them into gear!

We also have a fantastic 'Drop-in Centre' here. I had an attack on a Sunday, 'phoned the DIC and they sent a man on a motorbike to bring me two Diazepam tablets, with instructions to take them, wait one hour, and then go to the Centre, where they gave me a thorough overhaul, and a prescription which I could fulfil there and then. Maybe we're just lucky ...?

Your husband should not be left in so much pain!

I would suggest 'phoning your GP saying that you need a home visit!