Gransnet forums



(40 Posts)
Lindylou23 Tue 31-Dec-19 22:19:56

MyDH has had chronic sciatica for last 7 weeks, he cannot get to see a gp only a pharmacist who has prescribed him cocodamol, tramadol, slow release tramadol,diazapam and amitriptyline I have also bought him a tens machine all with little or no effect. We are now at the stage of thinking it could be something else he is rocking in pain as we speak. Some nights he is up all night.
We are now thinking of paying for him to have a MRI scan. Has any one else had a similar experience or should he see a consultant first? We are at a loss what to do next, any advice would be gratefully appreciated.
Happy new year

tanith Tue 31-Dec-19 22:24:15

Why is he not able to see a GP? Has he tried seeing a physio? He may have a trapped nerve as in my case I eventually needed surgery. The GP is the one to refer him.

Lindylou23 Tue 31-Dec-19 22:29:16

He has seen a physio and told him to take paracetamol and ibuprofen. He cannot see his gp as it doesn't come under the criteria worthy of a gp. When I asked receptionist for a gp appointment she said back pain is for physio to see and would not budge.

JackyB Tue 31-Dec-19 22:32:30

Could you go to an osteopath? Privately, if it is within your means.

lavenderzen Tue 31-Dec-19 22:41:26

Hello Lindylou, just read your post. I'm sorry to hear your husband is in so much pain. I have never heard anything like that, he can't see his GP because what he is suffering doesn't fit the criteria. What on earth is it coming to, I am shocked.

Your first priority obviously is to get your husband some help from somewhere but I would be speaking to the Health Authority concerned asap. In fact, I would get back on to the GP centre and ask to speak to the manager there and raise merry hell.

I do hope you can get some help for him.

inkycog Tue 31-Dec-19 22:50:44

Sorry is this in the UK? Can't see a GP?

LadyGracie Tue 31-Dec-19 22:50:57

I would be making an appointment for a private consultation, I did this as a last resort, I also paid for an MRI scan.

No amount of medication eased my sciatica, I had crumbling discs and trapped nerves. I had a TLIF procedure where screws and rods were fitted and have had no problems at all since.

Lindylou23 Tue 31-Dec-19 22:52:38

He has seen a chiropractor x 6 and had acupuncture all only temporary relief

inkycog Tue 31-Dec-19 22:55:33

So there is no GP available to you?

inkycog Tue 31-Dec-19 22:55:50

Who says it is sciatica?

grannysyb Tue 31-Dec-19 23:35:32

I worked as a receptionist for a GP and I was NEVER allowed to give medical advice. Receptionists should not make decisions about who needs a doctor. Complain to the practice manager and the Health Authority. And if the sciatica carries on and he is agony I would take him to A and E.

Tigertooth Wed 01-Jan-20 02:19:09

Why do you think its sciatica? My mother had terrible sciatic pain and it was a trapped nerve and a crumbling disc and she had to have an op to sort it. She was a very early keyhole surgery patient and it was sorted by the op after 8 months of agony. I don't see why he can't see a GP! lay on the surgery floor and insist!

cornergran Wed 01-Jan-20 07:46:11

I think I’d be speaking to the practice manager. Your husband has been prescribed heavy duty painkillers and a muscle relaxant by the pharmacist that are ineffective, the physio hasn’t helped. Therefore you’ve followed surgery protocol which has failed and need the next step. I’m horrified the physio hasn’t referred on. He needs a GP assessment urgently, if you still can’t make one via a receptionist be firm and speak with the practice manager. This is not ‘normal’ back pain, their processes have failed, a different assessment is needed urgently, no one should be left in that level of pain. Good luck.

dragonfly46 Wed 01-Jan-20 07:55:13

My DH had the same thing. The GP ordered blood tests and X-ray to rule anything out. I have never heard of a pharmacist being able to prescribe diazepam and amiltriptiline in this country. Your DH needs to see a doctor urgently maybe go to A&E or ring 111.

Lindylou23 Thu 02-Jan-20 01:21:44

They are assuming it's sciatica, surgery had at one time had 6gps, they merged with 2 other surgeries and now 5 gps to cover 3 busy surgeries, so to actually see a gp you must have something more serious than back pain.

Lyndiloo Thu 02-Jan-20 02:08:58

This is ridiculous! What is our NHS coming to (presuming that you live in the UK, Lindylou) if you can't get an appointment to see a doctor?

Sciatica isn't just 'back pain'. It's excrutiating! I suffer from this too, and usually have two or three attacks a year. When I do, I just 'phone my surgery and the doctor writes out a prescription for anti-inflammatories, and pain killers. When I had my first attack, I told the surgery that I couldn't attend, as I couldn't walk, and that I would need a doctor's home visit. This soon got them into gear!

We also have a fantastic 'Drop-in Centre' here. I had an attack on a Sunday, 'phoned the DIC and they sent a man on a motorbike to bring me two Diazepam tablets, with instructions to take them, wait one hour, and then go to the Centre, where they gave me a thorough overhaul, and a prescription which I could fulfil there and then. Maybe we're just lucky ...?

Your husband should not be left in so much pain!

I would suggest 'phoning your GP saying that you need a home visit!

cornergran Thu 02-Jan-20 08:17:28

I think you are fortunate lindilou. Excellent service indeed. No one should be left in excruciating pain for 7 weeks lindylou, no matter the pressure being experienced by the surgery. The level of care is bordering on dangerous. It sounds as if your husband is losing mobility as well. This isn’t ‘just’ back pain. I’m beginning to think not only is a complaint essential, if a further attempt for a GP appointment fails a trip to A&E is warranted. It’s an emergency because of a failure in primary care. Vital to find the cause of the pain. I’m so sorry this is happening.

Greenfinch Thu 02-Jan-20 08:37:04

You are not obliged to tell a receptionist why you need an appointment. You just need to say "personal"

Charleygirl5 Thu 02-Jan-20 08:39:21

Is this happening in this country because a pharmacist does not normally dispense heavy duty drugs like Tramadol without a doctor's prescription.

You should not be paying for tests or treatment- he should be seeing a GP and I would not leave the surgery until I had had a word with the practice manager and I agree with others, this needs to be taken further because it is not up to a receprionist to decide who sees or does not see a doctor.

Oopsminty Thu 02-Jan-20 08:45:35

I had sciatica for a few weeks. Couldn't sit in the car!

Hellish pain.

My GP eventually referred me to a consultant who prescribed me Fentanyl patches and injections.

It went eventually but my word. It can be painful

Why can you not get to a GP?

Marilla Thu 02-Jan-20 08:57:05

The pain from an attack of sciatica can be unbearable and indescribable. Sitting in a car is nigh impossible.
Without sounding rude, is your husband taking these prescribed pills at regular intervals or taking them sporadically to see which has the best effect?

I wouldn’t put up with not seeing GP. I would tell receptionist it is necessary to have an emergency appointment. Otherwise I would take your husband to A&E. But if he cannot sit in a car, it might be an ambulance that is needed.

GrandmaMoira Thu 02-Jan-20 09:34:56

Do you have a local urgent care centre? If so, that would be a good place for your husband to go, otherwise A&E. Either way he should get to see a doctor.
I have had sciatica and was quite unable to walk or sit at its worst and had a long time off work. For me, along with painkillers, physio helped most.

Beechnut Thu 02-Jan-20 09:51:36

My DH thought the pain he had was sciatica but when he went to the doctors with something else he ended up being scanned and his ‘sciatica thought’ was something very different.

Daisymae Thu 02-Jan-20 11:34:07

I would go to a and e. Back pain can be caused by numerous issues, some serious. He is entitled to medical care in this country. Sometimes you have to fight for it.

timetogo2016 Thu 02-Jan-20 11:42:10

Your husband can refer himself for physio.
Iv`e had it for over 2 year done physio it didn`t work.
Bought some red tiger balm and it does help a little.