Gransnet forums

Health

Shingles - aftermath/ongoing skin sensitivity

(14 Posts)
Cherrytree59 Sat 11-Jan-20 17:44:51

I have had shingles twice.
hopefully will not go on to suffer it x4 like Barmeyoldbat shock.

Since Christmas I have suffered an unpleasant skin sensation following the nerve path of a previous bout of shingles.
It seems to be worse in the evening or strangely enough when I'm driving.

Barmeyoldbat Sat 11-Jan-20 17:22:08

Yes I had shingles 4 times, awful. Now I get sensitivity around one side of my spine, it feels like you are touching a raw nerve, it was awful but it went after a nearly a week.

Grannyjacq1 Sat 11-Jan-20 16:57:18

I had shingles at the end of 2018 - in the eye area. Sensitivity in that area continued for about a year, and, even now, if I'm do get a headache (fortunately rarely) it tends to settle in the area where I had the shingles. But the pain does diminish - very gradually. Don't give up hope!

blondenana Tue 07-Jan-20 14:42:50

I didn't even know a vaccine was available,which i am still annoyed about as i could have had it the year before i got shingles
It wasn't very well advertised
Will have to wait another couple of years now i think if i need it

JenniferEccles Mon 06-Jan-20 13:28:08

Shingles is awful so I do sympathise.
I think it’s very unfair that the vaccine is restricted to certain ages as it would save a lot of people suffering from this nasty disease.

I believe the vaccine is available at pharmacies though.

blondenana Sun 05-Jan-20 23:34:24

I used virasoothe all the time when i had shingles, and my body was numb on that side .for a few months afterwards after the rash had gone
I didn't feel too bad in myself as far as tiredness went, but my sister still suffers with pain from it years after,
I was given gabapentin, but only took a few,made me dizzy,so just took ibuprofen

JustdiscoveredGN Sat 04-Jan-20 19:50:48

Yes, I was shocked myself just how awful shingles was - I had no idea. As well as the pain, I’ve never felt so tired for so long before in my life. Now it’s mostly over, I’m really appreciating having my energy back.
Just this pesky skin thing - I might have to try the cling film trick!
Thanks all x

JustdiscoveredGN Sat 04-Jan-20 19:45:39

Thanks for responses. I decided to give Virasoothe a go, starting yesterday. I think it’s taking the edge off the sensitivity/neuritis slightly, but certainly not fully relieving it.
However the packaging says “All adults, including those who are pregnant or breastfeeding, the elderly and children under 6 months, should only be treated under medical supervision”.
So I’ll probably just use it on occasions, eg when I have to wear uncomfortable clothes, and/or check with my GP.
(I agree calamine lotion was great when the rash was raging - old remedies often still the best)

clementine Sat 04-Jan-20 11:46:26

Another whose husband has Post-Herpetic neuralgia, his is on his shoulder. Not so bad now two years on, but does have a burning/itch type of sensation off and on through out the day. It only lasts seconds and is normally bought on by tiredness or driving long distances.

Immediately post shingles, when this first developed, he had to go on Lidocaine patches and then gabapentin. This worked well and he was soon able to gradually wean himself off. Another thing he did , when it was at the early stages, he put cling film over his shoulder so his shirt didn't rub ! Sounds weird but worked apparently . Obviously he didn't keep it on too long but it did the trick .

I never ever realised how debilitating an illness Shingles is. It is really painful and there is so little information . I hope you see a bit of improvement soon.

MiniMoon Fri 03-Jan-20 20:42:19

My husband had post-herpatic neuralgia across his head and down the side of his face after having shingles. It took several months to subside, and he still has occasional sensitivity in that area ten or so years later.

tanith Fri 03-Jan-20 19:08:03

My daughter had hyper-sensitivity after a stroke she was encouraged to touch the affected skin with different textures. Silky materials, wool, paper etc. It has helped her somewhat. Might be worth a try

Urmstongran Fri 03-Jan-20 18:34:33

Mum had it on half her face. Some sort of ?neuritis in the end. The only thing that helped was the liberal application of calamine lotion which she kept in the fridge.

Cherrytree59 Fri 03-Jan-20 18:18:13

Virasoothe was very helpful when the shingles became an actual rash and afterwards when the rash blistered.

However, I am not sure if virasoothe would of help when the skin has cleared up.
I have suffered from shingles rash, blisters etc twice (2014 and last year).
I still very sensitive in the 'shingle' areas, both skin and nerve wise (iyswim).

My DD used Virasoothe when my both DGS had chicken pox.

JustdiscoveredGN Thu 02-Jan-20 15:00:00

Hi - I had shingles a couple of months ago and am mostly recovered in terms of fatigue and actual pain. However, there's still a lot of sensitivity where the rash was, and it's really unpleasant - I always have to wear loose clothing/no waistbands, and after a while it gets uncomfortable anyway, whatever I'm wearing.
A colleague has suggested trying Virasoothe, which is designed for chickenpox - has anyone tried this for post-shingles sensitivity, or got any other good suggestions?
Thanks!
Liz