Gransnet forums

Health

First defense or similar product.

(11 Posts)
shysal Fri 03-Jan-20 09:42:18

Since several of my family and neighbours have suffered from the lurgy over the last few weeks, I have decided to use a topical cold and flu virus blocker. There were several options in Boots, but I went for one to be used several times a day even if you have no symptoms (Nasalguard).
Have any of you tried these precautions and have you still been ill?

NanaandGrampy Fri 03-Jan-20 10:26:43

I used the Boots version of First Defence last year and escaped every cold including the ones Grampy got.

This year I was caught out and currently have a streaming doozie of a cold courtesy of the little ones ?so I’d definitely use it.

Katyj Fri 03-Jan-20 12:32:17

Used it last year as instructed got the worst cold I've ever had.Sorry confused

AGAA4 Fri 03-Jan-20 14:18:35

Started with a cold just before Christmas and used the sterimar nasal wash from Boots. Woke up next morning completely cold free. I have found you need to use it at the very beginning of a cold for it to work. It is worth giving it a go

NotSpaghetti Fri 03-Jan-20 14:30:51

What are these things please?

GillT57 Fri 03-Jan-20 14:42:24

We always use First Defence before getting on a plane, all those germs circulating around the aircraft, yuk. I read somewhere that it is a favourite with aircrew.

Sussexborn Fri 03-Jan-20 15:28:36

I use them for flights as well. Twice I caught nasty infections after plane journeys but have been fine since using the sprays. Sterimar is also great especially if you catch the cold really early. It seems to stop the cold in it’s tracks.

shysal Fri 03-Jan-20 16:30:07

NotSpaghetti. These are supposed to trap and hold airborne viruses before they enter your airways. Here is a blue link to a selection on an Amazon search, some of which come into this category. Pharmacies sell them too. Seeing how poorly some people have been this winter despite having the jab, I decided it was worth trying to avoid cold or flu.
Cold and flu block

PamelaJ1 Fri 03-Jan-20 17:15:29

I did see the product on the shelf and thought- well that won’t work.
Now I wish I’d tried it. I seem to have the cold that keeps on giving.

Suki70 Fri 03-Jan-20 17:29:43

I've been using the Boots version at the first hint of a cold for the last couple of years and have stopped everyone in its tracks. It's also useful to use if you're going into a crowded place. I prefer the Boots version as I found First Defence could sting.

SirChenjin Fri 03-Jan-20 17:32:49

I used to use First Defence but had a weird reaction to it - it used to stop the cold but I used to feel as if it was still there in the background, and as soon as I stopped taking it the cold came on but really, really badly. This happened a few times - it was v strange.