Gransnet forums

Health

Colonoscopy

(107 Posts)
Alypoole Fri 03-Jan-20 11:09:12

I’m due to have a colonoscopy next Wednesday. I am SO anxious about the procedure and the possible outcome. I know this is not helping at all but cannot seem to calm down. I do have a small supply of Diazepam but have only used one at night to help me relax and sleep- another enduring problem. Any thought/advice?

nadateturbe Wed 10-Feb-21 17:05:00

Caro57 I have sent you a pm.

annep1 Wed 08-Jan-20 16:49:23

Glad for you.?

SirChenjin Wed 08-Jan-20 12:51:17

Ahh that's great - so glad it was OK for you smile. Enjoy your tea and biscuits!

Alypoole Wed 08-Jan-20 12:42:55

Well having tea and biscuits in recovery. You were all right. Not as bad as I’d imagined. If I did experience any pain they told me to use the Entenox. The purging was horrid but worthwhile for the peace on mind. Thanks again everyone- you really made a difference.

Fennel Wed 08-Jan-20 09:47:12

Mine must have also been for a sigmoid......which only involved the part of the large bowel on my left side.
I'd had a post-op infection there.

Keeper1 Tue 07-Jan-20 18:07:25

Nanthewiser thank you

NanTheWiser Tue 07-Jan-20 16:49:09

It's more likely to be for a sigmoidoscopy, Keeper1, which only goes a little way up the sigmoid colon. For a full colonoscopy the full prep with either Moviprep or Picolax is required.

Keeper1 Tue 07-Jan-20 12:12:52

My DH is to have a colonoscopy however he has been given an enema to self administer once the appointment is known. Is this unusual?

Mamie Tue 07-Jan-20 12:10:06

.. colonoscopy

Mamie Tue 07-Jan-20 12:08:49

... colonostomy (coloscopie in French, getting confused).

Mamie Tue 07-Jan-20 12:06:00

That sounds more like the sigmoidoscopy Fennel. OH had one of those that showed polyps, hence the colostomy.
The bit that is worrying me is that he has to have the second lot of gunk tomorrow morning, then we have to drive for half an hour to get to the hospital for 8am. ?

Fennel Tue 07-Jan-20 10:08:48

I had one in Sept. and the prep. was a self administered enema. I couldn't work out how to do it at first, then spread a tarpaulin on my bed, lay on my side and tried to squirt the stuff into my bum. It wouldn't come out at first.
I didn't have that special diet and drink that most of you have mentioned
I didn't do a very good job but evidently it was good enough.
The test itself was a doddle compared with the prep.

InnocentBystander Mon 06-Jan-20 21:00:25

Put Vaseline on your bum after each 'explosion', follow the directions to the letter, and apart from the discomfort of bowel motions being off the scale of the Bristol Stool Chart, you'll find it's all over by bedtime and you may well be complimented for a 'good bowel prep'.
The procedure is no problem and can be fascinating watching your own colon passing like the walls of a tube train tunnel!

What was unpleasant for me is a procedure that will never trouble any member of the fair sex, and that was an ultrasound guided prostate biopsy conducted p.a. AKA, up your bum and punching holes in your bowel wall!
As far as the outcome is concerned, any findings are just that. You can decide what is done after proper advice, and remember that any 'nastiness' is already in situ and not caused by the colonoscopy. Ignoring the possible problem may delay the ultimate result, but it will certainly exacerbate your worries. Get it done, and act accordingly. Good Luck!

Harv1 Sun 05-Jan-20 22:12:02

Alypoole , I’v also had this procedure done like the others and it’s really a doddle !! No way is it as bad as you imagine... You’l be fine it will be over and done with in a crack ! ( pardon the pun ) ... just wait till you see the pants you are given to wear ! Now they will put a smile on your face ?... chin up and big hugs we will all be thinking of you !!... xx

SirChenjin Sun 05-Jan-20 09:53:26

I think they say ‘light’ to let you know that it’s not a heavy sedation that will render you practically unconscious - some people don’t like that, and it means you’ll come round quicker after it, rather than needing hours in recovery. Someone who knows more may clarify that though.

Hope it all goes well. They’ll be used to nervous patients and if it’s anything like my daughter’s experience they’ll be very reassuring and will keep you calm smile

Alypoole Sat 04-Jan-20 23:53:50

You have all been so kind. Thank you. I feel much better tonight and actually ate some Christmas chocolate. I am having sedation but I’ve been told it’s very light which concerns me. I’ve had 2 endoscopies and they differed greatly. The first sedation was far stronger than the second. I’ll try to stay calm but can’t promise Thanks again everyone you’ve made such a difference.

purplevamp Sat 04-Jan-20 23:12:58

I had one a couple of years ago at the same time as an endoscopy. Great, two cameras at the same time!! It was a lot less stressful than I thought it would be. My consultant was really nice and put me at ease. The worst part was the Moviprep I had to drink beforehand. I tried all different ways to drink it but none of them worked and I ended up throwing up a few times. It was like drinking lemon flavoured salty petrol. Never again! The smell reminded me of apple and mango J20, which I used to like, but ever since I've not been able to drink it. Good luck and you'll be fine. If you have any concerns speak to the hospital. x

annep1 Sat 04-Jan-20 22:54:48

I agree with Harrigran. Much prefer the colonoscopy.

graninthemist Sat 04-Jan-20 22:46:09

I have to have annual colonoscopies because I'm a one-woman polyp factory. I do understand your concerns, but there's no real need to worry unduly. You will be offered sedation, which helps a great deal. I was very lucky to find an endoscopist who shared my love of jazz, and he used to play some recordings for me during the procedure. The nurses are always lovely because they expect people to be anxious. As you might imagine, I have become very used to colonoscopies, and usually watch the screen as the camera works it's way round, but, of course, there's no obligation to do so. Like mammograms and smears, I see them as a necessary evil. I'm sure you'll wonder what you were worried about. Good luck.

Dustyhen2010 Sat 04-Jan-20 22:18:31

As others say the prep is the worst bit. At one point I just could not leave the toilet. On the day sedation was not discussed but I was given some IV meds so assume that was the norm for where I was. I remember talking to the nurse briefly and then must have gone to sleep. I remember a bit of discomfort as they were moving the tube round and was aware I was holding onto the nurse's hand and must have gone to sleep again as I next remember waking on the ward. Personally I wouldn't take any of your own meds before as you may not be able to take what they have available which may be better. Please don't worry. I am sure all will go well.

CosyCrafter Sat 04-Jan-20 21:25:16

Bluebird64, You don't need to have symptoms of cancer to have a Colonoscopy.. In England and in France family history is taken into account, genetics.
Birmingham's Womes Hospital have a cancer genetics group where they determine if you need this type of additional screening, which as both my parents had bowel cancer at fairly young ages they determined regular colonoscopies. This is the same in France.
Nobody wants to have one especially if no symptoms but if the medical profession advise it then possibly foolish to ignore. Interestingly my siblings with no symptoms and under 60 also had colonoscopies in Scotland.

susani2dly Sat 04-Jan-20 21:21:53

My hospital dept was a long walk from main entrance. I was told I would not be allowed home unless I had a friend. to come and collect me. My husband is 81 and found it a difficult long walk. It may be better, that you have a younger and fitter support to be with you.

Carooline Sat 04-Jan-20 21:16:05

I had colon cancer so I've had a few, they're a breeze. The worst part is the prep ?.
I don't have any sedation since my very first one, they put a cannula in my hand so if I decide it's too uncomfortable they just push the sedation straight through & it's instantaneous.
I prefer it without as then I'm totally with it, I can watch it on the camera, ask questions while it happens and best of all... Have my cuppa and snack as soon as I'm done and go straight home.
Good luck ? x

grabba Sat 04-Jan-20 21:09:14

I was dreading mine too but was treated so well with such kindness and gentleness it was passed before I knew it.
The prep is a bit yuk but keep taking all the fluid suggested and it will be fine.
Take the meds offered to relax you before the procedure there is no point in unnecessary discomfort.
I got the result immediately after the procedure.
Good luck

jillyJo Sat 04-Jan-20 20:08:51

Had the procedure without sedation. It was over quite quickly and could go home soon after.