Gransnet forums

Health

Colonoscopy

(106 Posts)
Alypoole Fri 03-Jan-20 11:09:12

I’m due to have a colonoscopy next Wednesday. I am SO anxious about the procedure and the possible outcome. I know this is not helping at all but cannot seem to calm down. I do have a small supply of Diazepam but have only used one at night to help me relax and sleep- another enduring problem. Any thought/advice?

Grannyknot Fri 03-Jan-20 11:14:00

Alypoole I've had a colonoscopy and I can honestly say it was a really easy procedure. What wasn't much fun was the preparation where you literally have a colon cleanser. However, I told myself needs must and it is only one day. I was pleased to have the consultant/technician tell me that my prep was really good! (I'm very good at following instructions).

I know it's easily said, but don't be scared, the actual colonoscopy is no big deal. I was given a drug beforehand that put me in a sort of a 'twilight zone' and I couldn't remember a thing afterwards.

Good luck.

Ngaio1 Fri 03-Jan-20 11:16:52

Cannot, unfortunately, give any advice re Diazepam. However, I found that the colonoscopy was quite bearable. Not something I would look forward to but the 2 or so days before when you drink prepared were worse to deal with! Not painful just annoying. I hope the results are favourable.

CleoPanda Fri 03-Jan-20 11:20:26

Mine was a hundred times easier than I thought it would be. I decided to go without anaesthetic as I wanted to be able to go home straight away afterwards. A good friend had done the same and was encouraging. It was uncomfortable but painless. Odd and weird but over sooner than I had expected. The medical staff were superb. If you have a sore bottom after the many loo visits caused by the night before concoction, you can ask for a soothing gel to be applied first. If you are really stressed you can opt for an anaesthetic. In my case they were prepared to use anaesthetic at any point during the examination if I felt stressed. I had 2 nurses in attendance, one watching the doctor and the monitors, and one watching me.
Whatever the results, you are doing the exact right thing. You’ll either be clear of worry or put onto immediate treatment. In my case, the rigorous cleanse seemed to clear up my problems!!
This exam is a great way to rule out serious problems and help your GP diagnose the issues.

silverlining48 Fri 03-Jan-20 11:23:18

I am waiting for the same operation but it will be my fourth or fifth time so i am now an old hand. Please don’t worry, you will either have a very light general anaesthetic or sedation. I have had both, sedation is interesting you can see what’s going on in your insides on the tv screen but don’t feel anything, or GA which is so light you are awake almost immediately.
I too have my small Store of diazepam which I use with great care. Save one for Tuesday night perhaps, but you really don’t need to worry. You won’t feel a thing.

thisisnotme Fri 03-Jan-20 11:24:19

For the past 20 years I’ve had regular colonoscopies (usually yearly, sometimes more frequent).

I would recommend that if you are offered sedation (as opposed to ‘just’ gas & air) that you accept it and you will probably have very little recollection of events.

Wishing you a positive outcome. flowers

Ellianne Fri 03-Jan-20 11:39:21

I had sedation too and I wasn't aware of a thing. The operator told me after the investigation that my tubes were very easy to navigate, I guess it depends how you're made! I ate and went home within an hour or two. Good luck, the thought is worse than the actual procedure.

BlueSky Fri 03-Jan-20 13:08:21

Very reassuring to read these positive experiences. Also that sedation is available if you request it. I guess as for other procedures, the waiting is worse.

Yennifer Fri 03-Jan-20 13:10:02

When I had one and felt uncomfy they just upped the sedative and I slept through x

CosyCrafter Fri 03-Jan-20 13:21:57

I've had one, it was day clinic via general anesthetic, so if that is what you are having you will have had to declare any medication otherwise you cannot take anything. Like previous poster the worst part was the through the night colon cleansing drink, i almost couldn't do it but sommon sense and self preservation thoughts won through. It will be over before you know it and hopefully it will be good results for you. In my case it is precautionary as both parents had Colon/Bowel cancer and will be repeated.
Good luck and try not to worry.

fiorentina51 Fri 03-Jan-20 13:37:34

I have had 2 colonoscopies, one without sedation and one with. Both painless but one was a bit uncomfortable, like a bad case of trapped wind. Like others have said, taking the laxative beforehand was the worst bit!
Try not to worry, hope all goes well. ?

Susan56 Fri 03-Jan-20 15:05:35

The actual colonoscopy is fine,over and done with very quickly.I too found the preparation beforehand was the worst bit.

Charleygirl5 Fri 03-Jan-20 15:47:02

U decided not to have any sedation and I did not need it. I had a nurse at my side during the entire procedure and I also could have had sedation at any time.

The worst part was my painful very red rear! If I had it repeated I would buy something to help that discomfort.

Mommawolf Fri 03-Jan-20 15:47:46

I agree with fellow posters the night before cleansing was the uncomfortable part, I opted for no sedation as wanted to watch the screen. Felt a little pressure at times but not painful. It won't take long and will put your mind at rest one way or the other. Good luck please don't worry it will be fine.

Luckygirl Fri 03-Jan-20 16:25:11

I have had two without sedation and not a problem. The worst bit was when they shoved it up, then took it straight out - I asked what the problem was and they said the had acquired a bit of pink toilet paper on the probe!! blush!

Mamie Fri 03-Jan-20 16:58:20

OH is having one next week under general anaesthetic (seems to be the norm in France). We are struggling with diet sheet which is full of stuff we never eat. I have researched UK and other diet sheets and they all seem to be different. The French one does allow you a glass of wine, but can see no rhyme nor reason in the fact that you can have cheese and yoghurt but no milk in tea or coffee. We are sticking with chicken, cheese, eggs, fish and white everything, but it does seem inconsistent from one hospital to another.
Those who know me from the low-carb thread will know that pasta, rice and potatoes are not something we eat except on rare occasions.

PamelaJ1 Fri 03-Jan-20 17:00:50

Luckygirl??,

Like quite a few of you I decided not to have sedation. It was a little uncomfortable at point, like trapped wind but that was short lived.

The day before I got myself organised and didn’t move far from the toilet. As dark coloured food and drink was verboten I just drank white wine.

I was amazed at how quickly water makes it’s way from mouth to bladder when there is nothing else in there.

hulahoop Fri 03-Jan-20 17:04:45

Ive had several and like others find the prep beforehand the worst bit just given paracetamol before . Good luck

jacq10 Fri 03-Jan-20 17:05:07

Have had my fair share of colonoscopies over the years being an Ulcerative Colitis sufferer. Would agree that the preparation is the worst thing. The nurses are so kind during the procedure and if you feel uncomfortable the sedation can be increased. With a first one it is interesting to be able to see it on the screen.

Luckygirl Fri 03-Jan-20 18:12:38

I was supposed to have another soon, but when I pulled a face, consultant decided on CT colonography instead. Basically a CT scan with a bit of air inserted rectally - oh joy! Lucky I live alone now, as no doubt, what goes in also comes out!!

Still needs the bowel prep though.

Alypoole Fri 03-Jan-20 18:40:52

Thank you all very much for your supportive responses. They have certainly helped. I’ve asked for sedation but have been told it’s very light sedation and GA has not been mentioned. Thanks again - you all sound braver than me !

grannydarkhair Fri 03-Jan-20 20:44:58

Like others have said, I thought the prep was worse than the procedure, which was painless. Drink tasted of fake banana, and you do have to drink a lot of it. Worth it though, as I was told "viewing conditions" were perfect. I was not sedated, nurse held my hand and talked to me throughout or perhaps I should say listened, as when I'm nervous I babble. You can watch the procedure on the screen, I chose not to. Do be prepared for the wind afterwards, to be blunt, I farted for Scotland! Obviously no smell, as colon was empty, just lots of noise. Thankfully, my daughter picked me up, drove me home, I would not have wanted to use public transport ?

jeanie99 Fri 03-Jan-20 22:09:47

I have had it with and without sedation, you cannot be completely out cold because you need to take instructions.
I was worried sick before my first one but really the technicians/doctors which do it are so experienced.
The prep is not so good to drink, I hated the taste but needs must.
Hubby went with me most times.
Best of luck

annep1 Sat 04-Jan-20 08:28:17

Luckygirl grin grin

You need to take care with eating the right food beforehand and drinking all the prep and giving it time to work, so that there is a clear view. I was fine.

Guineagirl Sat 04-Jan-20 10:38:42

Are you having Moviprep for it? If you are try having it with lime cordial and a straw as it makes it easier to swallow and lifts your sugars a bit so you don’t get a headache. I. also measured all my water in glasses in the fridge so it was cool to drink. I didn’t finish all the Moviprep as I felt I had had enough and it was clear by then.

The staff are wonderful at the hospital and I had sedation in my arm they were giving it in the hand but I can’t abide it in the hand.

It was very dignified and I was covered up if you know what I mean. I was very aware of everything a lot more than they said I would be I suppose I felt tipsy. They took biopsies and five weeks later the results were normal,

You will be glad you had it done as things can be dealt with there and then.

Make sure you have sudocrem in as things get a bit sore after the loo visits x