Gransnet forums

Health

Brain training

(33 Posts)
MiniMoon Mon 20-Jan-20 10:04:02

I use reciting poetry as an aid to sleep, and it actually works.
Here are some of them. I have lots of poems committed to memory from when I was younger.
To Daffodils by William Wordsworth.
I Remember, I Remember by Thomas Hood.
Abou Ben Ahdem by Leigh Hunt.

I also know several verses of The Rime if the Ancient Mariner by Samuel Taylor Coleridge.

Here are some of the verses I learnt.

All in a hot and copper sky,
The bloody Sun, at noon,
Right up above the mast did stand,
No bigger than the Moon.

Day after day, day after day,
We stuck, nor breath nor motion;
As idle as a painted ship
Upon a painted ocean.

Water, water, every where,
And all the boards did shrink;
Water, water, every where,
Nor any drop to drink.

The very deep did rot: O Christ!
That ever this should be!
Yea, slimy things did crawl with legs
Upon the slimy sea.

About, about, in reel and rout
The death-fires danced at night;
The water, like a witch's oils,
Burnt green, and blue and white

Humbertbear Mon 20-Jan-20 09:59:58

I think Gyles Brandreth has just published a book of poems to be learnt by heart. He asked his GC to each learn one and recite it to him as their Xmas present to him.
The poem I have learnt by heart was written by Leo Marks for Violette Szabo as her code poem when she parachuted I to France. I also have it on my study wall.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours.

The love that I have
Of the life that I have
Is yours and yours and yours.

A sleep I shall have
A rest I shall have
Yet death will be but a pause.

For the peace of my years
In the long green grass
Will be yours and yours and yours.

I was recommended an ap which is good for the Brain. It is called Wordscapes and is based on anagrams.

EllanVannin Mon 20-Jan-20 09:55:39

The Latin version of " O Come all Ye Faithful ". I can still rattle it off from my schooldays at aged 11 in 1951, so hopefully I can continue to remember.

JenniferEccles Mon 20-Jan-20 09:31:39

I have always loved one called The Green Eye of the Yellow God by J. Milton Hayes....

‘There’s a one eyed yellow idol
To the north of Kathmandu .....

It’s probably too long to memorise in its entirety but for some reason I have always loved it since school days.

It tells a story.

Daisymae Mon 20-Jan-20 09:18:39

Great idea. I have a book, A Year of Reading Aloud. 52 poems one for each week of the year to be learnt off by heart. You might want to think about that. It does contain The Eagle by Tennyson. It's nice and short and you can really get into it! Text is online!

Eglantine21 Mon 20-Jan-20 09:17:39

Here’s one I had to learn for detention nearly sixty years ago.

It’s never faded.

Like a small grey coffee pot
sits the squirrel. He is not
all he should be, kills by dozens
trees and eats his red-brown cousins.

The keeper on the other hand
who shot him is a Christian and
loves his enemies, which shows
the squirrel is not one of those.

NanKate Mon 20-Jan-20 09:08:41

No I didn’t I put it under Health. You can see I need help ?

NanKate Mon 20-Jan-20 09:07:34

Dementia is a worry for us all as we age.

Whether anything can be done to stop, slow it down I don’t know but I read some time back that learning a new language can strengthen parts of the brain, so I started learning Spanish online and am thoroughly enjoying my course. I only do about 10 mins a day but I am certainly managing to retain most of the new words.

My next plan is to learn one small poem a month. This was recommended by a Doctor in the newspaper last week and Gyles Brandreth advised Camilla PB that it was a good way to keep the brain healthy.

So could you recommend any short, fun, interesting, emotive poems you like for me to choose my next poem ? I have started with Coleridge’s Kubla Khan first 3 verses which I loved as a teenager.

I didn’t know whether to put this request under Health, Books or Ask a Gran and in the end I plumped for Chat.