Gransnet forums

Health

What diet should follow to reduce Weight

(21 Posts)
NanTheWiser Sat 25-Jan-20 21:58:27

Another low carber here - I have lost two stone slowly and gradually over 4 years ( plateaued a couple of years ago, and not gained since then) .
The real culprit is sugar, and all carbs turn to sugar in your blood, excess turns to fat ( and diabetes for some).
Once adapted ( after a week or so) you lose all your sugar cravings, so perfect for those who can't leave the bikkies alone, you will feel more energised, and mentally awake. Some people claim their arthritis improves, because sugar causes inflammation in the body, and arthritis is basically inflammation of the joints.
It does take a bit of determination to begin with, and you might suffer temporarily from 'carb flu', but that will pass.
I don't find it difficult to do, as my digestive system doesn't seem to like high carb foods much, and I don't really miss those foods any more.

Hetty58 Sat 25-Jan-20 12:23:11

Never sit down for more than thirty minutes during the day and eat an apple before lunch and dinner - it works!

goldenshred Sat 25-Jan-20 12:19:05

I have also gone down the the low carb route, using the Diet Doctor website it seems to be the only method that has worked for me!

Sparkling Sat 25-Jan-20 08:13:29

The pucture is on the pantry door, sorry.

Sparkling Sat 25-Jan-20 08:12:17

All the people I have seen going to skimming clubs lost weight, then gradually became bigger than they were originally. I cannot do calorie counting, I am always hungry, so going to try Metirannean Diet, no biscuits, cakes or stodgy puddings which I love. It is more a life change, I am not hungry but do miss the things I love. If I was allowed two biscuits as a treat then I would ear the whole packet,same with chocolate. I can't have it in the house.. I need to lose at least 1 to 1 1/2 stone. I am a comfort eater, live alone, the temptation is to comfort eat. Put a picture of me whilst out with friends looking the biggest their, even my face has changed shape.

Tangerine Fri 24-Jan-20 22:43:16

WW (used to be Weightwatchers) is a big help. I'd suggest joining.

annep1 Fri 24-Jan-20 21:19:25

I reduced sugar and ate very small portions of carbs and did a 20 min walk every day and lost a stone in ten months. I got used to that so stuck with it. and have occasional treats and the weight has stayed off. So basically eat less move more.

Yennifer Fri 24-Jan-20 21:12:06

www.dietdoctor.com/intermittent-fasting

fourormore Fri 24-Jan-20 21:01:20

BettyAKimzey Have a look at the 'I'm a Pear' thread that is currently running - there are several of us on there who are all trying to lose weight.
However, although we share our tips and ideas, we also share our 'ups' and 'downs'
We are non-judgemental, we are 'family' who all support and encourage each other.
Have a look and, if you like what you see, we would love to have you join us!
Good luck in whatever you decide flowers

Flowerette Fri 24-Jan-20 21:00:38

Cut out or down on sugar .... it helps a lot

NotAGran55 Fri 24-Jan-20 20:54:13

Don’t diet .Just eat healthy unprocessed food and cook from scratch. Don’t restrict how much you eat just make sure what you eat is good. Weight loss will follow.

hippydippy Fri 24-Jan-20 20:35:40

I found Weight Loss Resources by chance, based in Peterborough UK.
It's a calorie counter with personally tailored allowances and goals and a great community of support. Eat anything as long as you log it though there are helpful plans and recipes to follow.
I have HBP and underactive thyroid so weight loss is always slow but has been steady and most important, no weight has been gained during holiday periods.
They have a free trial so I thoroughly recommend. This is all just my personal opinion.

notanan2 Fri 24-Jan-20 20:24:39

All diets that restrict any group work by becoming by default lower cal diets.

notanan2 Fri 24-Jan-20 20:23:08

Avoid the slimming clubs. Most people relapse and become bigger than they started. Its the business model: repeat business.

My fitness pal or any other tracker is good. It shows you where youre going wrong and what you should do more of whilst being fully flexible and doesnt feed into unhealth psychology about "good" Vs "naughty treats"

BBbevan Fri 24-Jan-20 20:16:24

I am another advocate of low-carb .Very easy way to lose weight

Omaoma57 Fri 24-Jan-20 18:23:48

I started on a low carb, healthy fat, moderate protein way of eating just over two years ago..dropped 50 lbs and have never put it back on. Look up Low Carb in the UK.. great place to start and look up diet doctor..i eat about 50 grams of veggie carbs a day.. you need to understand how your body metabolises foods...eat less and move more just means you get hungry..i am a food scientist.

merlotgran Fri 24-Jan-20 18:19:04

Try Weight Watchers (Now called WW) online.

It's really easy to follow and works out all the boring stuff like calorie counting for you. If you buy a cheap version of Fitbit from Amazon you can also track your activity goals

I lost nearly 3stone in a year and it has stayed off!!

Eglantine21 Fri 24-Jan-20 18:16:26

Snap!

MawB Fri 24-Jan-20 18:14:21

Any one where you eat less and move about more!
Good luck!
If you find a magic formula please share.

Eglantine21 Fri 24-Jan-20 18:14:13

Eat less, move more.

BettyAKimzey Fri 24-Jan-20 18:09:46

can one please help me to reduce weight?