Gransnet forums

Health

driving at night any ideas

(37 Posts)
suey Sat 25-Jan-20 18:29:35

I have banned myself from driving at night but wonder if there are any devices I can put over my glasses tohelp me see better.

popcorn1 Sun 26-Jan-20 17:42:32

I picked up a pair of night driving glasses that go over your prescription glasses from I think, Aldi. Look for them being on sale again.

Vivian123 Sun 26-Jan-20 19:52:35

I am perfectly OK during the day, but night time is not for me. The lights of other cars travelling towards me, make it unsafe, as the road ahead, disappears. On very well lit roads, I am just about OK, but unlit roads are a no-no. According to the optician, I suffer from night blindness and there is nothing I can do except order a taxi! It is a real pain, I can tell you. I now use my mobility scooter for night time travel, it has a 45 mile range, but no fun when it is raining!
At least I can get about, but have to do it solo. My partner can't see very well during the day, let alone at night. We use buses or taxis after dusk.

newnanny Mon 27-Jan-20 01:15:33

I have yellow tinted anti glare glasses too but I really hate driving at night and would far rather spend a night in Travel Inn than drive overnight. My dh does not mind night driving but can't itdrive now as he has a vbrain tumour and waiting removal of it.

suey Mon 27-Jan-20 10:34:10

Thank you all. I know I have cataracts and an waiting for an operation. I have some sort of anti-glare finic=sh on my glasses....must check with optician...but that doesn't help if so. I will try some yellow glasses from Amazon' One again, thank you.

timetogo2016 Mon 27-Jan-20 15:37:13

I have the same problem Suey.
I purchased a pair of night glasses but it didn`t make any difference.

whywhywhy Mon 27-Jan-20 16:21:56

I'm just the same. I've also stopped driving in the dark. Luckily my husband drives at night but I feel like a prisoner once it's dark. My optician said that night glasses don't work. I'm fedup!

Grammaretto Mon 27-Jan-20 16:35:50

I have just asked my optician about special night driving lenses. She has lent me a pair which clip over clear frames. I will try them and take them back at the next appointment but she didn't mention a price. wink
They are Norville vista mesh.
vista-mesh.co.uk/

I don't wear glasses apart from for reading, but hate the dazzle of oncoming lights. Cataract?

JacquiG Wed 29-Jan-20 11:52:32

I've had cataracts repaired and while I can see much better now, the lighting issue means I don't drive at night and try to minimise it anyway.

There is so much information on the road now, and so much light, that even minimal scatter causes problems. Rain makes it worse.

mande Thu 30-Jan-20 07:50:54

The brain’s ability to process what our eyes see slows down as we get older. That is my main problem with nighttime driving. I know that it takes me a little bit longer to work out what all the lights, shadows and road markings are. My brain is just slower so when I drive at night I am on high alert. So tiring! And often scar! I only drive at night when I have to.

mande Thu 30-Jan-20 07:51:31

Often scary!

chelseababy Thu 30-Jan-20 08:35:53

If you feel you need cataract op but NHS are refusing, check out the RNIB website which has a useful toolkit on the criteria etc