Gransnet forums

Health

Eyes at night (supposed to be a pun of The Sky at Night, but failed)

(9 Posts)
love0c Mon 27-Jan-20 18:53:58

I have always enjoyed very good eyesight. However, in the last 5 years or so I need glasses to read in poor light. Night time and under electric lights it is far worse. Bright natural light I am so much better. Incidentally after holidaying abroad enjoying lots sunshine and little computer use my eyesight is really very good. Is it due to the extra sunshine I have had or little computer use? But yes, I would say it is normal with age. Maybe get your eyes tested if you feel really concerned though.

lemongrove Mon 27-Jan-20 16:56:14

yes Jess I have had a Kindle for a few years now, but maybe need the 'white page' edition, enhancing the text alone doesn't seem to help but a whiter background may do.smile

Jessity Mon 27-Jan-20 16:32:43

lemongrove have you tried a Kindle? You can enlarge the text and make it darker in colour so that it’s easier to read. Enables me to read at night quite easily.

JohnRNIB Mon 27-Jan-20 15:49:46

As other people have said, @GagaJo, first port of call should be your local high-street optometrist (you really should be going every two years, but I'm not judging ?). It might just be that you need a new prescription, or varifocals if you haven't already got them.

If you wanted to chat any concerns you have, feel free to contact the RNIB Eye Health Information Service through our Helpline 0303 123 9999 (Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm, and Saturday 9am to 1pm) or [email protected]

Chestnut Sun 26-Jan-20 16:44:05

I am very concerned about my eyesight failing as I have balance problems and rely on my vision. I have been taking Bilberry as this is good for the eyes accompanied by Retinex both from Healthspan, and so far my eyes are good so I recommend them. I wear glasses but haven't had any problems with tired eyes or blurred vision.

lemongrove Sun 26-Jan-20 16:36:22

I am the same gaga I used to love reading in the evenings, but it’s too much of a strain now, I need daylight.
The optician told me it was normal, and although there are ( expensive) so called daylight lamps, he said they worked for some but not others.
I have just changed my reading habits, watch tv or listen to the radio or play around on the ipad in the evenings, and read when I have time during the day.

GagaJo Sun 26-Jan-20 16:32:12

I went ages ago when my eyes started deteriorating but was told it was quite normal. Suppose I should go again really.

BBbevan Sun 26-Jan-20 15:04:42

Do you see your optician regularly Gagajo ? If it were me I would make an appointment. Just so you can be reassured that nothing is brewing.

GagaJo Sun 26-Jan-20 10:05:00

It is normal, as one gets older, for eyes to get tired in the evening?

I've always been short sighted and in the last 2 or 3 years my near vision has started to go too. But things that I can read in daytime are blurred and foggy in the evening when I'm tired now. And this is new.

Is it normal?