Gransnet forums

Health

Eye drops in fridge

(10 Posts)
MrsJamJam Wed 29-Jan-20 18:15:23

I am now on daily drops for glaucoma, for ever. The drops I have been given have to be kept in the fridge which is fine at home but what do I do when travelling? Does anyone have any advice?

Welshwife Wed 29-Jan-20 18:19:59

Are you taking Lanaprost? That is the generic form of Xalatan - Lanaprost needs to be kept in fridge till you start to use them but Xalatan does not so whenever I am going away and one bottle is not enough I ask to have the Xalatan - sometimes need to pay - depends what prescription says - but they are not very expensive here in France.

Gymstagran Wed 29-Jan-20 19:51:21

Small insulated freezer bag packed with freezer packs? I suppose it depends on how long you are travelling.

Iam64 Wed 29-Jan-20 19:53:37

finding tiny freezer packs isn't easy, but the internet is our friend.
I tend to use one bottle during a journey then keep some in the fridge wherever I'm staying. If the accommodation doesn't have a fridge, the kitchen or owner will

humptydumpty Wed 29-Jan-20 19:54:15

Why not ask a pharmacist for advice?

Grandma2213 Thu 30-Jan-20 02:55:41

Mine are Timoptol LA and I have occasionally kept them out of the fridge overnight when travelling but then kept them in the fridge wherever I stayed. I also think a pharmacist might help to advise.

JuliaM Thu 30-Jan-20 09:01:43

You can make your own DIY freezer pack by recycling a small plastic bottle and filling with tap water then freezing it at home before traveling. Place this with your bottle of eyedrops in a plastic freezer bag and wrap the whole lot in a small towel for further insulation. In an emergency on a hot day enroute, buy a chilled cold drink can and wrap this up inplace of your frozen bottle of water, it will stay cold for around 4 hours like this. I have a similar problem with storing insulin injection pens enroute, and both ofthe above methods do work.

Floradora9 Thu 30-Jan-20 15:51:38

Be carefulwith DIY freezer packs you might have the drops too cold . You can buy a special container from Frio and it is activated with water so can be topped up anywhere. I am on Brinzolamide which does not need to be kept cool .

MrsJamJam Fri 31-Jan-20 16:16:52

Thank you all for the advice. I will have fun trying the ideas out. I think here in UK I can't ask the pharmacist for a different drop, it seems it has to have permission from the consultant.

JohnRNIB Thu 06-Feb-20 10:20:50

When travelling with glaucoma drops that need to be refrigerated, keep your drops in a cool place out of the light. The drops can be placed in an insulated pouch or cool wallet that helps to keep the drops cool. The International Glaucoma Association (IGA) have further information about cool wallets on the following links, including a free leaflet explaining how the cool wallet works and how they can be ordered:

www.glaucoma-association.com/cool-wallet.html

www.glaucoma-association.com/single-bottle-cool-wallet-ref-116-html.html

As IGA is a charitable organisation, products can only be posted within the UK.

If you have any further queries regarding storing your glaucoma drops while travelling, it’s best to speak with your ophthalmologist (hospital eye doctor) or pharmacist.

You can also contact RNIB’s Eye Health Information Service via our helpline on 0303 123 999.