Gransnet forums

Health

What if...?

(60 Posts)
BlueSky Fri 31-Jan-20 10:19:22

I suffer from 'What ifs' and this is my latest. What if DH and I were in an accident together who would inform our children and how would they find them as they live abroad? We have no other close relatives nearby. As you can see my mind can be quite lively especially in the early hours ...confused

Pittcity Sun 02-Feb-20 09:19:12

Yes Kitty, it's comparable to having it under E for emergency in your address book instead of having it on the front page.

Thanks for the link.

kittylester Sun 02-Feb-20 09:10:50

www.lions105sw.org.uk/district-projects/message-in-a-bottle/

The link again - really worth checking out.

kittylester Sun 02-Feb-20 09:07:29

I think the individual settings are wrong if ICE is inaccessible without a pin.

Pitt, The 'Message in a Bottle' link I provided above is recognised by all the Emergency Services. It has small stickers which are placed near the front door to alert Paramedics etc that it is in the fridge. They contain details of contacts and current medication.

I think they are available, free, nationwide.

Pittcity Sun 02-Feb-20 08:55:47

We're not saying ICE is useless Ellianne. It's just that some people have ICE in their contacts hidden behind a lock. We are pointing out that this needs to be accessible info without having to unlock the phone.
I have heard of putting written details in the fridge. Can't say that's the first place I'd look.

kittylester Sun 02-Feb-20 08:51:48

I'm baffled too Ellianne.

I've just checked my phone on the locked screen and I can access my ICE numbers without the PIN. Mine is an android.

Madwoman11 Sun 02-Feb-20 07:51:08

I got a card from ebay who to contact in emergency, and keep in my purse. They print your chosen details on it
I have my mobile screen locked, but I have managed to put my family's contacts In Case Of Emergency as screen saver

Ellianne Sat 01-Feb-20 22:38:22

I'm not sure I understand why some of you are saying ICE is useless? I have it displayed on my phone in its locked state. No need for PIN or swiping.

Grammaretto Sat 01-Feb-20 22:24:05

I used to be on a church committee discussing funerals and what to do when someone died. One of the things we discussed was a personal request document to be filled in , while you were still compos mentis, with anything you would like such as to be buried or cremated, who to contact and so on and I suppose where to find your last will and testament. It was particularly meant for those living alone.
This document was to be left in the fridge!

I know it does sound strange but seemingly people look in the fridge and would find your list.

I can't say I've followed the advice. wink

welbeck Sat 01-Feb-20 22:14:30

a neighbour near me used to never leave her house without taking her bus pass, other ID, and contact details for her sons.
she did this even if only going for a 15 min walk in the park across the road, even though she had her phone, and I was with her and I had my phone too.
at first I was puzzled why she needed a bus pass to walk in the park. she said it was in case we were both incapacitated.
anyway, people who are worried about such eventualities could just do old fashioned note or mini diary in wallet or handbag, with details, next of kin, GP, allergies, also in car.

Floradora9 Sat 01-Feb-20 21:40:56

I also have a list of contacts on a table by the front door so anyone with access to the house can use it . I keep a card with details in my purse as well .

Vivian123 Sat 01-Feb-20 21:30:59

I believe it is possible for humans to be microchipped. This will work the same as it does for our pets. I wouldn't mind, as my mind gets worse, I believe that I may need to be returned home, at some stage in my future life.

Chestnut Sat 01-Feb-20 16:07:00

Well that's true. And not everyone wants to be resuscitated when they're on their last legs anyway. I think it's nice to know you won't be left there for days or weeks, although you won't be worrying when it happens (unless you have pets). I guess it's up to us to plan for an event in the home, try to foresee what could happen and how we might deal with it.

BlueSky Sat 01-Feb-20 16:01:55

I guess there's only so much any of us can do, then whatever happens it's fate...

Chestnut Sat 01-Feb-20 15:56:25

I think there are alarms which you wear around your wrist, and if you're in fragile health then these should probably not be taken off unless someone else is there.

How useful it would be if there was a wrist band that set off an alarm if there was a drop in your vital functions, pulse or temperature or something.

nipsmum Sat 01-Feb-20 15:53:15

Apart from the fact that my daughter speaks to me every day, I always carry my driving licence and bus pass in my handbag. My daughter knows all my bank accounts and everything else that she would need
Unfortunately my next door neighbour died suddenly a few years ago and was in the house for 4 days before I notified the police to check. His little dog was very distressed when the police brought him to me to look after until arrangements could be made for him,

Littleannie Sat 01-Feb-20 15:44:48

My mother had a personal alarm which was on a chain round her neck. It was supplied by the local council, who would notify someone if it was activated. However she was told to take it off at night in bed, as it would be activated if she rolled on it. She used to leave it on the bedside table. One night she got out of bed to use the bathroom, fell over and had a stroke. She could not reach her alarm as it was on the opposite side of the bed. I used to phone her every night at 6 if I had not been to see her. When she didn't answer we went down to find her lying on the floor. She had probably been there since the previous night. So sad.

Grammaretto Sat 01-Feb-20 15:29:12

I agree HurdyGurdy very useful although my phone is never locked.
Unfortunately my DM was not found after a fall for 12 hours and then by a neighbour who had her key. She wasn't dead but had fallen and broken her hip and couldn't move.
Her alarm was on the mantlepiece....

My MiL was admonished this week by a social worker for not wearing her alarm. She said she was worried to set it off by mistake and have ambulances rushing round.
The SW explained that someone would call her? and she could tell them if it was a true emergency.

Pittcity Sat 01-Feb-20 15:27:27

You are welcome HurdyGurdy

I'm sure a similar thing applies to iPhones.

Juliet27 Sat 01-Feb-20 14:41:05

sweetcakes I think perhaps what Hetty meant was that the stain could have been where someone had died in the past and not been found for some time.

HurdyGurdy Sat 01-Feb-20 14:35:23

Pittcity - "On an Android phone you go to Contacts and find your profile... there should be an option to add emergency contacts, medical details and other notes. All these are accessible by pressing Emergency Call on the PIN screen."

Well I did not know that, so this thread has been very useful. I have now updated my information into the emergency section.

Thank you!!

sweetcakes Sat 01-Feb-20 14:32:54

Hetty58
our last house, we had to have new floorboards fitted. My husband was only too aware of the likely cause of a huge brown stain near the fireplace!

Not sure what this has to do with this thread??

HurdyGurdy Sat 01-Feb-20 14:31:22

Ellianne - Assuming your mobile phone were retrieved from an accident they would look at ICE.

I have both my husband and my daughter as ICE1 and ICE2 in my phone. However, my phone will not allow me to NOT have a PIN code to access it, so really, they're quite useless if no one can see them.

4allweknow Sat 01-Feb-20 13:53:36

Well, if in a car the registration would hive details of the owner so at least that person would be traceable. There is very little not known about us nowadays. Your name will be on a massive amount of databases eg car insurance, NHS, energy suppliers, council tax, credit companies, DWP, don't think you should worry about not being traceable. If you are unconscious, unable to communicate, the police will investigate using all resources as well as entering your home to try to get details if all else fails. Living alone is a different ballgame and unless you have some kind of system whereby your absence is noticed you may well be left until the neighbours notice!! Very unlikely of course unless you are a hermit. Always have contact details in your home.

Pittcity Sat 01-Feb-20 12:38:07

Please don't confuse having kin listed under ICE in your contacts with the Emergency Call screen.
Your contacts can only be accessed if the phone can be unlocked. The emergency call screen is accessible from the screen where you type your PIN.

dizzyblonde Sat 01-Feb-20 12:24:53

If you were to both die or be seriously injured in a car accident the police would trace you using your car registration number. This gives them access to a digital copy of your driving license so they can confirm identity. They could then gain access to your home and contact family etc.
Personal alarms, message in a bottle and ICE are all godsends to emergency services. You can also add medications, allergies and medical conditions to the ICE screen on your mobile phone.
Something to think about is also a Keysafe, it saves us having to get the fire service out to break in which gives added trauma while you’re lying on the floor with a broken hip or worse!