Gransnet forums

Health

horrible phegm

(9 Posts)
Fennel Tue 04-Feb-20 12:50:51

We both have coughs resulting from almost constant flow of thick phlegm - sorry if it's disgusting.
Could it be due to, or made worse by, the central heating being too hot?
I can't say I feel really ill, but very 'thick-headed'. And if we swallow it , it upsets the stomach.

Hetty58 Tue 04-Feb-20 14:21:47

It could be that the air is too dry in your house, aggravating the coughs. I'd have extra vitamin C and zinc to boost the immune system, along with plenty of rest, fruit, veg and fluids. Wishing you better very soon. flowers

Coolgran65 Tue 04-Feb-20 14:27:46

Best to get rid of of phlegm.
Try the huff cough. Give a big outward breath at the same time as saying huff out loud. do it 3 or 4 times.
This loosen s it enough to be able to discreetly spit it out. There is nothing discreet about the huff cough though. Pretty noisy.
Hope I've described how to do it well enough.
Worked for me.

Liz46 Tue 04-Feb-20 14:33:43

There's a youtube video on the huff technique. I've just tried to copy it but my chromebook isn't playing. I went on a pulmonary rehabilitation course and it was shown there but the video is fine.

aggie Tue 04-Feb-20 14:39:47

Keep yourself well hydrated, hot drinks are more soothing . If you think the house is too warm turn the thermostat down, leave a bowl of water near the radiators

annsixty Tue 04-Feb-20 15:10:27

As phlegm is a type of mucous (but thicker and from a different place) I would lay off dairy for a few days as I believe it makes it worse.
That may be an old wives tale but has been around a long time.

Jane10 Tue 04-Feb-20 15:11:59

I agree with annsixty. It maybe an old wife's tale but they knew their stuff!

Fennel Tue 04-Feb-20 17:27:19

Good point about dairy, I think I've heard that before.
Another thing is that husband has a fixation that if he has a cold he has to keep really warm and turns up the CH. No open windows or doors etc.
I'm the opposite. We have many arguments about it. Sometimes I just go and sit outside.

Fennel Tue 04-Feb-20 17:28:03

ps don't tell him I said that! He's very good and kind otherwise.