Gransnet forums

Health

HAS ANYONE GOT THE COUGHING VIRUS

(25 Posts)
timetogo2016 Sun 09-Feb-20 11:00:55

Me and dh has had it dh`s has gone but I still have it.
Nothing seems to work so just got to get on with it.
I send you my best wishes and hope you get better soon and hopefully I will too.

Lizzy53 Sun 09-Feb-20 10:50:50

Hi Ramblingrose, yes I can empathise, I’ve had it since new year. I also have asthma which doesn’t help, and have tried various things.
I wear a ‘buff’ when out walking it is just like a snood but fits more snug, over mouth and nose, this helps stop cold air getting in to lungs and making me cough,
I have also discovered ‘Sterimar’ decongestant, (as previously mentioned) this is a sterile sea water spray, it has helped clear my ‘tubes’ I use it morning and night, steam also helps me and I use a humidifier now and again. Hope it clears soon, it’s such a pain and an inconvenience ?

Teetime Sun 09-Feb-20 10:43:06

DH has it - I can say no more as I have been deafened!!!

Missfoodlove Sun 09-Feb-20 10:10:38

LuckyLegs,

It’s N acetyl cyesteine . Here’s a link, there are some really good articles online for its uses. It even helps with addictions! An incredible Compound. www.healthline.com/nutrition/nac-benefits

Buffybee Sun 09-Feb-20 00:01:57

Oh my goodness! I thought it was just me!
Started with tickly, burning throat about two weeks ago, then sinus problems and non-stop coughing. Totally lost my voice for a full week and even now I’m croaking a bit.
I’ve been so weary, I seriously thought there was something more wrong.
No-one else I know has this and my friends and family keep telling me to go to the Doctors as it’s gone on so long.
At least I now know it’s not just me!
Get well soon all.....

quizqueen Sat 08-Feb-20 23:59:48

The best thing which stops me coughing is drinking a Beecham's hot lemon or blackcurrant - actually I usually buy Tesco own brand - and a dose of Pholcodine-it's the best cough mixture and relatively inexpensive compared with some, again if you buy own brand versions.

Hetty58 Sat 08-Feb-20 23:56:42

Just once, in my forties, I had a truly terrible cough. The sleep deprivation was the worst thing. I ended up sleeping in an armchair, with a board across the arms with several pillows piled on it.

I slept upright, leaning slightly forwards - for about five or six nights, until it subsided. I remember holding onto the pillows for dear life. I doubt I could do it now, with my back problems!

Luckylegs Sat 08-Feb-20 23:48:14

What’s the full name of NAC please?

Missfoodlove Sat 08-Feb-20 23:42:42

Two of my friends have been plagued by this for weeks.
It’s been seriously debilitating.
Antibiotics have done nothing.
Both friends have taken a high dose of NAC for 3/4 days, this clears the mucus and has cured both of them quickly.
. It’s the cheap easily available natural compound the drug companies don’t want us to know about!
It’s safe to use unless you’re on blood thinners.
I take it every day as a supplement for liver and kidney health.
It’s really worth reading up on the benefits!

Chewbacca Sat 08-Feb-20 16:27:53

Yep Ramblingrose, this is my 2nd week too. Started off as a dry, unproductive cough but is now a full on hacking cough that, once I start coughing, I can't stop. As for the crap and phlegm it produces; it's just disgusting. I've found that Sudafed inhaler that you shove up your nose has helped to loosen it all and results in more nose blowing which is infinitely better than coughing it up. Bleurgh!

Kandinsky Sat 08-Feb-20 16:25:01

Have had a cough for nearly 2 months now. 2 weeks of antibiotics did nothing so doctor has now put me on steroids which are thankfully working.
GP even sent me for a chest X-ray which was clear thank God.
It’s been awful. Hardly slept in weeks and the chest pain/ breathless ( not to mention all the coughing ) has been worrying.
But on the mend now.
Never had anything like this before in my life.

Nezumi65 Sat 08-Feb-20 16:18:59

I had mine for months. An inhaler really helped (never had one in my life before)

Squiffy Sat 08-Feb-20 16:10:05

Sterimar is good and I’ve also been using A Vogel’s Sinuforce if I’m out as it comes in a handy 20ml spray. I like the fact that they are as natural as possible.

Ramblingrose22 Sat 08-Feb-20 15:52:23

Thanks to all who have already replied. I hope mine goes after 3 weeks as I'll reach that stage soon.
My GP found my chest to be clear, thank goodness, so it's all at the throat end. Hot food and drinks trigger the coughing attacks but however long they last they only bring up phlegm rarely, or not very much.
I'm amazed my throat isn't sore or ribs aching after all the coughing. I'm trying to blow my nose more as I think it's "feeding" the phlegm when I leave it there.
Thanks also for the recommendations for nasal spray and sore throats which I haven't tried before.

NanKate Sat 08-Feb-20 14:52:20

Started on Christmas Eve and stopped about a week ago. The doc said it was pleurisy.

brook2704 Sat 08-Feb-20 14:28:18

Oh no ..... just started with a dry cough on Thursday and ribs already aching from coughing. Lots of hot drinks seem to be helping . Feeling tired so not doing much today - Sounds like it’ll be here for a while ☹️

Smiley4 Sat 08-Feb-20 14:20:47

Sterimar nasal spray is good as lemon grove said. If you get a sore throat try colloidal silver. Coughs are difficult to get rid of, but it does go eventually.

Busby2 Sat 08-Feb-20 14:20:10

we had this last year for 5 weeks. lost a lot of weight
were tired and unable to do much and then I had the Xmas one, which got into my lung so had to have pills for that.

BlueBelle Sat 08-Feb-20 14:12:42

I had it for two months all December and all January I didn’t feel at all ill just coughing a deep cough too it’s now worn itself out hooray

EllanVannin Sat 08-Feb-20 14:10:12

Had it for 3 weeks from Christmas week into January. Never had a cough in my life. It left me with bad catarrh for two weeks which has all but gone now.

I didn't go out of the house for two weeks and told the family to keep away. There were times when I couldn't get my breath and slept with the bedroom window open
and even had a hand fan to help me breathe, it was awful.
Didn't go near the GP. What can they do anyway ?

flaxwoven Sat 08-Feb-20 14:08:41

I had a coughing virus in the past and coughed all night with pain in the ribs and ended up with pleurisy and had to have chest X-rays. Now I try to calm a tickly cough down with cough sweets or a hot drink, even in the middle of the night. A nurse friend says try and take deep breaths and stretch out the chest to bring air into the lungs. Also avoid going out in very cold, windy weather or if you do, cover your nose up to stop the air irritating the lungs. (doctor's advice).

Dec46 Sat 08-Feb-20 13:58:36

i have had it for 3 weeks now and couldn't go out for first 2 weeks as it was so bad. It is easing now but I can't remember having anything which has hung on for so long. Coughing does bring up phlegm though which must at least be clearing my chest.I've not found anything that has helped me feel better so no advice but definitely commiserations from me.

lemongrove Sat 08-Feb-20 13:56:32

Been there, done it, got the tshirt!
It lasted three weeks, and just as you describe, plus lethargy, nodding off all the time.
It does go though, so take heart.
I found a saline nasal spray really helped, think it’s called Sterimar ( bought it online.)
Get well soon.

Sara65 Sat 08-Feb-20 13:55:55

I’ve had a cough since before Christmas, but it’s a tickly cough, not a chesty cough.

When I start it takes me ages to stop, which is very awkward as I spend a lot of time on the phone.

It’s a lot better than it was, but I’m still having bouts of coughing.

Ramblingrose22 Sat 08-Feb-20 13:51:49

I ask because I have got it, have had it for two and a half weeks and it doesn't seem to be getting better. At first my throat felt tickly all the time but thank goodness that has eased.

My throat and upper airways are constantly blocked and the prolonged coughing bouts do not shift the phlegm that is blocking them. I have been inhaling steaming water in which Vicks Vapor Rub has been dissolved just before bed as the coughing is also bad at night.

Any advice/commiserations most welcome!