Gransnet forums

Health

Tongue surgery, terrified!

(36 Posts)
Haydnpat Tue 11-Feb-20 10:05:21

Hi, due to have a tongue polyp removed on thurday, scared stiff, not brave when it comes to needles. Has anyone had this done, but it as bad as I'm imagining?

Haydnpat Tue 11-Feb-20 18:37:13

Maggietulliver. I've had a needle phobia since a bad experience when I was small. Passed out at the dentist. Not proud of it, but hangs around like a bad smell. Probably wont sleep fir the next couple of nights. Going to try to keep using the tapping solution!

Grannmarie Tue 11-Feb-20 18:38:00

Hi, there, Haydenpat, just wanted to reassure you that my experience of two tongue biopsies, twelve years apart, showed me that techniques have improved greatly over the years.

The hospital staff were very kind and supportive when I told them how anxious I was.

I took two paracetamol before I went, I think that takes the edge off the injection into the tongue, which works very quickly.

My surgeon had the radio playing during the procedure, I quite liked that!

The lump was removed quickly, the area was cauterised to prevent bleeding, a wee stitch and that was that.!

I was afraid that the pain would hit me when the injection wore off, but it wasn't bad at all.

It healed quickly and the results were fine, no cause for concern.

I wish you well, Haydenpat, hope it is over soon.

JuliaM Tue 11-Feb-20 20:05:10

Bongella baby teething get is good for providing pain relief and numbing a painful mouth, as your local pharmacist if it would be ok to use some prior to your surgery HaydnPat.

Jane10 Tue 11-Feb-20 20:40:13

Curvygran950 no I wasn't awake really. I had a spinal so wouldn't have felt anything. It was a lovely relaxing feeling and I sort of came to feeling refreshed. Most unexpected but OK.
Good luck on Thursday OP

JenniferEccles Thu 13-Feb-20 16:57:41

How did the operation go Haydnpat ?

I hope it wasn’t as bad as you feared!

Grannmarie Thu 13-Feb-20 17:56:49

Hope your procedure went well, Haydnpat.

Tomorrow, after 24 hours of no rinsing/spitting, try rinsing your mouth with warm salt water to soothe and prevent infection.

Jane10 Thu 13-Feb-20 18:11:47

I was just wondering how it had gone today. Hope all OK

Nannylovesshopping Fri 14-Feb-20 09:48:11

Haydnpat hope you feeling ok today ?

curvygran950 Fri 14-Feb-20 16:17:58

I hope everything went well yesterday and you get the results quickly . Best wishes for a speedy recovery .

Kittye Fri 14-Feb-20 16:52:44

Hope all went well yesterday and you’re feeling brighter today
Thinking of you ?