Gransnet forums

Health

Coronavirus

(623 Posts)
Yehbutnobut Thu 13-Feb-20 08:35:04

“ Health bosses speculate that the virus will continue to spread in the UK until it peaks in the summer, later than the previous assumption that it would peter out in the late spring. A source said: “We are planning that we are into this for the next few months.”.”

Taken from today’s newspapers. I really don’t see how this cannot spread to epidemic proportions in the UK when we are still allowing flights from China and a passenger from one of these has tested positive one for the virus in London.

Nothing we can do but wait helplessly.

maddyone Wed 11-Mar-20 18:58:43

I agree with you all, asking people to self isolate regardless of whether they feel ill or not, is a recipe for disaster. How many will simply not bother, saying‘I’m fine.’
What could possibly go wrong?

Fiachna50 Wed 11-Mar-20 18:20:25

If a surgeon won't follow proper procedure, what hope is there that other people will?

Daisymae Tue 10-Mar-20 15:59:22

The Mail is covering a story of a surgeon who returned from Italy last week and didn't isolate. He's tested positive after returning to work, so it strikes me that many people will not either.

Chestnut Tue 10-Mar-20 14:58:01

The problem with 'self-isolating' is that knowing what idiots many people are I'm sure 50% of them won't bother.

Chestnut Tue 10-Mar-20 14:56:11

I guess it all starts with good intentions but as numbers increase things soon get out of control. With so many people flying in they don't even bother trying to quarantine any more.

Greeneyedgirl Tue 10-Mar-20 11:33:06

On the Gov.UK information site it lists 4 countries where travellers arriving from them return home then self isolate and contact 111 for advice, regardless of any symptoms. This includes any areas of Italy.

Returnees from other countries just advised to self isolate if they get symptoms.

Not great for self employed taxi drivers working at airports, but I guess with the numbers involved there's no other option.

maddyone Tue 10-Mar-20 09:41:16

And no one is put into quarantine!

maddyone Tue 10-Mar-20 09:40:44

When the plane came back from China, the people being brought home were put into quarantine for fourteen days. Meanwhile there were, and still continuing are, planes flying in and out of Italy, EasyJet two or three times daily just to the northern affected area, plus Lord knows how many to other parts of Italy, plus BA, plus Ryanair, and Uncle Tom Cobbley and all. You couldn’t make it up!

rosecarmel Tue 10-Mar-20 00:33:51

The president shook hands with and spent time with two republican representatives who came in contact with an individual at a conference who later was hospitalized with coronavirus-

The two representatives decided to remain at home and self-quarantine-

Labaik Mon 09-Mar-20 22:13:34

Only took him a week then..

Sparklefizz Mon 09-Mar-20 20:32:23

And now Johnson, on national television states that he's going to continue to shake hands

But he didn't shake hands today at the Abbey.

Mully Mon 09-Mar-20 19:16:37

This is no longer the case as you probably know by now. The health authorities have been unable to trace many patients with the virus and concluded that it is now in the wider community. Just facts

Mully Mon 09-Mar-20 19:09:33

I look after one grandson for a full day & pick up two more grandchildren from school. At what stage do you think it would be best to stop doing this in the light of the virus and my age at 73. I'm not trying to be alarmist, just wondered what other grandparents in similar situations are doing. I look at Italy and have to disagree with those who say it is not an epidemic. Best wishes for Spring!

Labaik Tue 03-Mar-20 19:39:14

And now Johnson, on national television states that he's going to continue to shake hands. Which is the sort of throwaway remark that caused Nazanin's prison sentence to be extended.

Sparklefizz Tue 03-Mar-20 19:04:04

Pleased to hear the news readers saying how many people no longer had the virus. Perhaps more positive news is what is needed instead of the killer virus type headlines.

There are still people not bothering to wash their hands much or to take basic hygiene precautions, and saying things like "Well, who cares? If you're gonna die, you're gonna die". Grrr.

If people are just given positive headlines, even more of the population will become complacent.

SueDonim Tue 03-Mar-20 18:50:47

There was a large van outside my doctor’s surgery today, collecting clinical waste. I was astonished that the driver/collector of the waste wore no gloves as he manhandled the bags into the truck. I think if I was doing that job I’d wear protective gloves all the time, not just in times of serious concern.

craftyone Tue 03-Mar-20 16:15:12

delivery driver would be self-employed and with rent to pay, could not possibly self-isolate, like thousands of others

westendgirl Tue 03-Mar-20 16:10:14

Pleased to hear the news readers saying how many people no longer had the virus. Perhaps more positive news is what is needed instead of the killer virus type headlines.
Let's all try to be positive .

craftyone Tue 03-Mar-20 15:57:34

I think there should be a different number for covid suspects. What about all the normal accidents, sepsis, heart attacks etc?

Greeneyedgirl Tue 03-Mar-20 15:53:58

I heard a poor woman on the radio today. She was self isolating having spent 4 days in Venice. Soon after returning she began to feel ill, and after a couple of days contacted 111. She then had swabs taken last Thursday to check for Covid-19, but had not yet had any result, and sounded, and said she felt, very ill.
She couldn't get through to 111 and tried phoning her own doctor for advice and he told her to contact 111. I assume she was living alone. I think it's concerning. If she has tested negative she clearly needs something for her chest infection, or if positive needs hospitalisation, but she hadn't yet had any results!

merlotgran Tue 03-Mar-20 15:43:25

I woke up with a streaming cold this morning but I'm sure it is just a cold although I feel crap! Haven't been in contact with anyone other than the Tesco delivery man yesterday and I kept my distance from him, washing my hands thoroughly after putting everything away.

So glad I've stocked up because I really don't feel like going out. I just hope DH doesn't get it.

craftyone Tue 03-Mar-20 15:32:52

I have just taken in a heavy delivery, 2 large boxes, delivered by the usual German man of about 40. Today he was red and sweating and looked so ill. I had to sign with that plastic pen that they use for everyone. I tried to stay a metre away and went straight in for a good hand wash.

I donned disposable gloves to manhandle these boxes onto my barrow, they are now in the garage. No chance of me working on them tonight, any potential contamination needs to die off. He looked more ill than anyone with a cold. If he has it, then he will likely recover and would not report via 111 and a test. Very many will be like that, invisible as carriers

I am not sure if I touched my front door handle when I went to wash. I have some surgical wipes, will use one, just in case

Callistemon Tue 03-Mar-20 15:24:48

I was in the local chemist today and a woman came and stood next to me and asked the young assistant loading the shelves if she could recommend something for a dreadful cold which had come on suddenly. The young assistant told her to ask the chemist and backed away quickly! I backed away in the other direction.
I'm sure it was just a cold.

I then came home and saw on the news an interview with a woman in Singapore who has recovered. She said she had a cold and then felt better quickly for about a week, before she fell really ill and had to be isolated in hospital

merlotgran Tue 03-Mar-20 15:16:42

Another 12 have tested positive. Total now 51.

Jane10 Tue 03-Mar-20 13:29:52

I read an interesting article by a WHO person. It seems that China's strategy of starting with the infected person and finding all their contacts has really helped to contain the spread. This is instead of just general guidance. They really focused hard on reaching and containing the contacts of infected individuals. As I said : interesting. As ever, time will tell.