Gransnet forums

Health

MRI scan

(57 Posts)
BlueSky Fri 14-Feb-20 23:13:35

Grannyrebel I had one last year and was on here asking the same question as you! It's totally bearable, you are in the scan only up to chest level, it's light inside and you can also see at the end of the tube. There's easy listening music even if there are short burst of noise. I also had contrast which I was dreading, in fact it's just an injection given towards the end, just felt slightly flushed for a couple of minutes and that was it. Soon after they come in and tell you it's all done. It took about half an hour. You have a panic button in your hand the whole time. The anticipation was much worse! Good luck!

suziewoozie Fri 14-Feb-20 23:08:11

It’s called a flat bed open MRI.

suziewoozie Fri 14-Feb-20 23:06:49

I had one last year. I found it truly awful and would have some sort of sedative if it ever happens again. I have since found out that there is another more upto date type now where you are not so enclosed. It might be worth asking what type your hospital has

Ellianne Fri 14-Feb-20 22:41:22

Are you having a contrast agent?

Anoia Fri 14-Feb-20 22:30:39

Hi, I’ve had various MRI scans, keep your eyes closed, try to stay still, wear the music headphones if offered, it’s very noisy in short bursts but soon over. You have an alarm to hold if you get worried. They talk you through it all the time, you’ll be OK.

Welshwife Fri 14-Feb-20 22:24:38

I had one about four years ago - it was fine - I was in one of the long machines rather than a donut type, they put music on and gave me a button the pressif I wanted to come out. The doctor doing the scan could speak to me and a couple of times he asked me to raise my hand if I was still OK. I just lay there and closed my eyes. It did not seem very long to me.

grannyrebel7 Fri 14-Feb-20 22:18:56

Hi I'm due to have a brain MRI scan soon and am a bit nervous about it. This is to determine what causes me to have trigeminal neuralgia. This extremely painful condition is controlled by medication at the moment thankfully. However there is an operation I could have to correct it if they find what causes it. Just wondering if any GNers out there have had an MRI on the brain and what it was like.