Gransnet forums

Health

Pro biotics, advise please!

(18 Posts)
phoenix Mon 17-Feb-20 19:02:07

Hello all, and good wishes.

Wasn't sure if this should go under "Ask A Gran", but here goes!

After my episode with campylobacter, my GO has advised me to use some pro biotics, i.e. Actimel, Yakult type stuff to repopulate my digestive tract with good bacteria.

So I have been dutifully downing a pot full of the muck stuff every day (why can't they make it chocolate flavour? Don't tell me there are fruit flavoured ones, after my unfortunate experience with blackcurrant flavour Dioralyte, I'm avoiding those!)

Aanyway, I have heard conflicting stories/opinions on the benefits of these, so thought I would ask for your opinions!

Thank you.

Mamissimo Mon 17-Feb-20 19:27:48

Was given similar advice and found that eating a natural unsweetened bio yoghurt every day has made a difference. I eat a couple of tablespoonful every morning with some low sugar granola and some fresh berries - or those frozen packets deforested. In addition I try to eat my 5 a day and over a week to include as many different veg as possible.

Lots of people use Kefir to similar affect.....much nicer than Yakut! ?

Mamissimo Mon 17-Feb-20 19:28:30

Deforested? Doh!

midgey Mon 17-Feb-20 19:31:17

You could just go to a good health shop and buy probiotics in a capsule form. I know they work for me!

giulia Mon 17-Feb-20 19:38:02

Kefir is the answer and much cheaper than anything. Look up Dr, Mosley on the subject.

From what I've read, it's best taken at a distance from food so I swig down a couple of gulps from the bottle before going to bed or before breakfast in the morning.

I do it when I find I'm making air and it sorts the embarrassment in a few days.

Although I have a iatal hernia, I no longer suffer from night time reflux.

giulia Mon 17-Feb-20 19:39:55

Phoenix I followed your campywhattsit saga and felt for you. How horrible that was!

phoenix Mon 17-Feb-20 19:41:51

Thank you all for the replies.

Mamissimo ashamed to admit that on work days I don't "do" breakfast blush it was different when I had a job that involved being away, funnily enough I could manage a full English, as long as someone else cooked it and did the washing up wink

midgey might look into the capsules, although the nearest health food shop is in a town in the opposite direction to the one I shop in.

Farmor15 Mon 17-Feb-20 20:01:01

Phoenix - I was involved in a bit of research into probiotics some years ago. The main thing to be considered was whether the "good bugs" survived the stomach acid and made it into intestine. The ones in normal yogurt mostly don't, but the ones in the probiotic yogurts do. I think Actimel is better than Yakult, but the Lidl and Aldi versions are probably just as good. Look at labels and see what they contain - if they have Bifidobacteria (or something like bifidus) as well as Lactobacillus, they may be better.

There is some evidence that the bugs in capsules may be better, but some are very expensive. If looking for them, try a pharmacy rather than health food shop as the pharmacist might actually know something about the science behind them. BioKult from Boots look OK. Health food shops will only want to sell the most expensive to you!

Good luck - hope you feel better soon.

Yennifer Mon 17-Feb-20 20:05:20

Kefir is the best I've heard supermarket's do it. Its vile. I put banana nesquik in it and it's just vile with a hint of banana. Seems to help though after 2 stomach bugs in 2 weeks x

M0nica Mon 17-Feb-20 20:51:47

DD had major problems after being on very large doses of antibiotics for a month after a bad accident. She tried everything the supermarket and health shops could offer but without avail.

She then consulted her local pharmicist who recommended a product called Symprove www.symprove.com/ . Its is a three month course and not cheap, but in DD's case, after 3 years of all kinds of digestive problems and having to cut all kinds of foods out of her diet, she finally returned to normal.

Missfoodlove Mon 17-Feb-20 20:51:48

After my campo and antibiotics that were super strong I asked advice and took acidophilus in capsule form.
A doctor likened my stomach as being like a septic tank that’s been cleaned out with bleach! The bacteria needed to be replaced quick.
Acidophilus is like drinking hundreds of probiotics.

phoenix Mon 17-Feb-20 20:54:43

Farmor15 thank you, I've actually been taking the Actimel, it's tolerable, although as mentioned would prefer chocolate flavour!

Yennifer your really not selling it to me! grin Sounds less than appetising, and as I cannot stand real banana, let alone banana flavoured stuff, I think I'll pass, thanks all the same!

V3ra Mon 17-Feb-20 20:55:48

Phoenix I have a probiotic capsule from www.healthspan.co.uk
Order online and it comes in a flat letterbox-friendly box.

Jalyn Mon 17-Feb-20 21:10:50

I tried biokult about 7 or eight months ago on the recommendation of someone on this forum. Having suffered digestive problems for a few years, I was returned to normal within a couple of weeks. It can be purchased online and I am so pleased with the results.

Jane10 Mon 17-Feb-20 21:16:47

I find that Actimel is good. Also Activia yoghurt which I really like as a 'pudding' after supper. I know all about it if I miss it!

MerylStreep Mon 17-Feb-20 21:24:29

As MOnica said: Symprove is a marvellous product.
You never see it advertised, do you? They don't need to, it's word of mouth.

grannypauline Wed 19-Feb-20 01:14:08

Biomel produce chocolate shots - I sometimes see them in Waitrose but don't know if other shops stock them. They say they are full of microbiotics but don't say which ones! Still, they taste nice and I THINK they're doing my gut good!

Katyj Wed 19-Feb-20 06:28:14

I take a seven seas over 50 multi vitamin with probiotics daily. Seems to keep things moving along grin