Gransnet forums

Health

Deafness

(33 Posts)
Gingster Tue 25-Feb-20 18:17:49

My husband is getting deafer by the day. It’s been deteriorating over the last couple of years . He’s just 70. He refuses to go for a hearing test, saying that hearing aids are useless as we do know lots of people who have them and have been very disappointed with them. NHS and private types. The trouble is it’s driving us all mad, he mishears everything and I have to now shout at him. Our family is getting exasperated with him and the grandchildren think it’s hilarious. I worry that it will isolate him and I’ve heard it can bring on dementia. Any ideas?

NannyJan53 Wed 26-Feb-20 18:01:09

I have worn NHS Hearing Aids since I was 49 (I am 66 now). I couldn't manage without them.

I need to have the tubes changed, so I rang today and have an appointment for next Wednesday. I never have to wait more than a week for an appointment, and collect a supply of batteries at the same time, as they are free too!

BlueSky Wed 26-Feb-20 18:02:46

Thank you Franbern I guess we get the impression that NHS hearing aids are still the old cumbersome appliances of years ago, which I guess they won't be. Yes I could do what you suggest especially as it would now be free of charge. I cope at home but it's awkward in social situations.

Fennel Wed 26-Feb-20 19:24:31

After much family pressure I went for an audiology test about 5 years ago. The audiologist said I didn't yet need aids but could do in future.
Now I'm 83. Last year the GP referred me for a test and aids which I got from Specsavers. They help in some situations.
I've come to the conclusion that there's no magic answer. With those in the 50s-60s hearing loss seems to be complicated.
Those of us older, it's just deterioration due to old age and there's no magic answer..
I do agree though that disturbance of verbal communication can lead to social isolation. And maybe onset of dementia.

Witzend Wed 26-Feb-20 19:34:29

Re wax, dh used to have his ears regularly syringed at the GP practice - esp. before any holiday where we’d be swimming, since he’d invariably get an ear infection otherwise (one oddly shaped ear canal) - but recently had them ‘vacuumed out’ rather than syringed, at a branch of Specsavers.
He still had to put the olive oil drops in for a few days beforehand.
It did cost £50 though.

Susan55 Sat 29-Feb-20 07:40:17

I suffer from quite severe tinnitus and also find loud noise very uncomfortable so the thought of wearing hearing aids bothers me. I am aware of some hearing loss so I have begun to learn sign supported english so that I can recognise signed words. If everyone over the age of 60 or so, or younger, started to learn sign supported english, communication may not be such a problem in later years if or when hearing loss becomes a problem.

It gets the brain working and improves communication at the same time. I'm really enjoying learning it!

silverlining48 Sat 29-Feb-20 08:46:23

I have similar to you Susan and have been told that the discomfort/pain experience of loud noises is called recruitment. It’s hard to get people to understand that there is no need to shout or have the tv ? so loud.

kittylester Sat 29-Feb-20 08:53:32

Dh's new aids come with an app that can easily change how they work in different situations.

For tinnitus we have an Echo Dot playing ambient sounds on very low - he thinks it helps him.