Gransnet forums

Health

NHS Screening

(64 Posts)
BlueSky Fri 28-Feb-20 10:47:00

I've reached the age where the NHS screening (Smear, Mammogram and FIT) have stopped or are about to (65-75) but could still be requested by the individual. Would you, should you carry on with these tests? Not really clear about the advantages/disanvantages and whether they would lead to unecessary procedures or still save lives. I guess they are stopped by the NHS at this age mostly for financial reasons?

Elegran Tue 05-May-20 10:52:44

TwinLolly The pain/discomfort of a mammogram depends a great deal on the operator. Most of those who screened me were marvellous - just enough pressure to get a good picture, no pain at all - but one must have been a torturer in a previous life. She had me stand right up on tiptoe, squashed my boob in the machine, then raised the plate even further, so that I was en pointe like a ballet dancer, with my weight on the trapped boob! She was, however, the exception - perhaps she did your first one?

Elegran Tue 05-May-20 10:45:35

AGAA4 I too reached 66 (15 years ago) when the cut-off date had been 65. I wasn't expecting any more appointments and my results had always been clear. Turned out they had just extended the testing age to 70. So I went along, an early cancer was found and succesfully dealt with. I had no symptoms at all, and couldn't feel any lump, so by the time I had noticed anything amiss, it could have been very serious.

So I would urge everyone to take all the tests they are offered. So what if it is embarrassing to sit scared in a waitingroom waiting for the result? It is worse than embarrassing to sit and be told that it is too late for surgery and the condition is now terminal!

proktism Tue 05-May-20 09:38:12

That's really harsh, because of cervical cancer is a critical disease and their symptoms are crucial and doing not the things right.

TwinLolly Wed 25-Mar-20 20:56:00

crazyH I'm with you on that one.

I remember bawling my eyes out in the waiting room, absolutely terrified, while I waited for the results of my lump. I was in such a state that I thought I would pass out and unfortunately hubby was not allowed to come inside with me. I think that if there had been any men in the waiting room waiting for results of scans (yes, men do get breast cancer too!) then maybe my husband would have been allowed in with me. But there were only women that day and I think the clinic staff wanted to protect their dignity.

Anyway, fortunately it was a cyst and it was drained.

crazyH Wed 25-Mar-20 16:28:44

That reminds me...I must request a mammogram- I had a benign lump removed about 3 years ago. My sister had breast cancer at the age of 81 - she refused treatment and passed away a couple of years later.
These 'tests' and waiting for 'results' is sooooo stressful ...

TwinLolly Wed 25-Mar-20 16:08:07

If there is a family history of cancer in the family then you might be kept on for screening.

I don't want to go for a mammogram. I had my first one about 3 years ago and it hurt. I wonder if they can screen me using an ultrasound scan instead....

BlueSky Mon 02-Mar-20 15:25:45

Bijou you are an encouragement and inspiration! flowers

Greeneyedgirl Mon 02-Mar-20 14:19:22

Goodness Bijou. Have you recovered now?

Bijou Mon 02-Mar-20 13:29:56

I had bowel cancer at age 78 and anal cancer when I was 94. My niece was 65 when she had cervical cancer. Found after a screening.
Many years ago I remember the Women’s Institute campaigning for cervical screening

growstuff Sun 01-Mar-20 18:58:51

My mother developed breast cancer in her 80s, so I will carry on with mammograms for as long as possible.

BlueSky Sun 01-Mar-20 16:19:33

Thanks NoSpaghetti.

NotSpaghetti Sun 01-Mar-20 15:20:22

Bluesky there are lots of papers on this, I just don't have time at the moment to find them. You could google Margaret McCartney or put something like "smear test statistics" in Google scholar.
I discovered it takes 35000 tests to categorically save a life with smear tests. Personally I am happy with that risk. Others may not be.

BlueSky Sun 01-Mar-20 09:33:21

Thanks again for all these interesting replies. I will look up your links. Just interested to know why they would stop, or at least you won't be routinely recalled, at 65, 70 and 75. Most cancers increase statistically with age, so not cost effective for the general public? I've gladly stopped the cervical but will carry on with the breast and bowel.

Shropshirelass Sun 01-Mar-20 09:28:55

I think I will carry on with screening, it is so important. A colleague of my sisters wouldn't go for smear tests and she died from cervical cancer, sad when it could have been detected and possibly treated. A few minutes of discomfort is well worth it.

absent Sun 01-Mar-20 05:56:00

I would ask my GP what she/he thinks would be the best thing to do.

NotSpaghetti Sun 01-Mar-20 00:49:39

Margaret McCartney has written lots of papers and articles about various screening programmes. She is really interesting and focuses on the evidence and what we know to be true.

I think we should understand the risk of something before we do it and that goes for the risks of screening as well as the risks of not screening.

www.theguardian.com/science/blog/2014/jan/03/patients-truth-health-screening-harm-good

www.google.com/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/features/why-im-saying-no-to-a-smear-7577967.html%3famp

blogs.bmj.com/bmj/2019/10/25/margaret-mccartney-cancer-screening-review-diminishes-informed-choice/

gmarie Sun 01-Mar-20 00:49:01

I recently had an annual cervical cancer test and was also told that this would be the last time unless I requested one (I'm 65). I asked my OBGYN about it and she said the same thing, that cervical cancer is slow-growing. I asked if she'd have the test when she's my age and she said absolutely not. Breast and colon, yes, cervix, no. Will decide for myself next year!

NotSpaghetti Sun 01-Mar-20 00:25:36

Joesoap the bowel screening "blood in the stools" test picks up blood you can't see as well as any you can but if you have an anal fissure or haemorrhoids it will come back as though you need further tests. It doesn't suit everyone for this reason.

Jennyluck Sat 29-Feb-20 20:55:18

I’ll carry on with the bowel screening, and breast screening. But not the cervical. I’ve been married for 42 years and only had a sexual relationship with my husband. So hope I’ll be ok. I had my last one at 63, I’m nearly 65. And it was excruciating, and I’m frightened to have it done again.

Greeneyedgirl Sat 29-Feb-20 20:39:50

There are pros and cons to any screening of course so it's very much a personal choice. All cancers are more likely the older that you get so I still opt for a mammogram and would also think bowel screening worthwhile. I don't need cervical screen as have had hysterectomy, but would probably go with that as well.

I wouldn't bother with GP checks as I take BP at home every few months, and also check urine occasionally with diagnostic sticks for glucose and blood.

Phloembundle Sat 29-Feb-20 19:34:18

Everyone is statistically more likely to get cancer the older they get. Why wouldn't anyone take any screening offered?

Esspee Sat 29-Feb-20 18:21:43

@Joesoap. In the UK we get a package through the post which has three sections for you to smear a small amount of your bowel movements taken on different days. The package is then mailed back and the samples are tested for traces of blood.
Only those who show traces of blood receive further investigation. Simple but effective.

Veejay61 Sat 29-Feb-20 18:20:27

I too believe it is personal choice whether or not to have any type of screening, but I accept any screening that is offered. I watched the pain my 3 children went through when they lost their dad to Bowel Cancer, aged 50 and would feel selfish not having the tests that are offered that could potentially be life saving. I am currently waiting to be recalled for cervical screening as last May, HPV virus was detected in my cervical screening, which could potentially lead onto a more sinister diagnosis. I am so glad that I went for the test and that I am now in the system for any future treatment I may need or (fingers crossed) a complete bill of good health, regarding this issue.

Joesoap Sat 29-Feb-20 16:07:32

I dont live in the UK in this country there is screenin until 75 never heard of bowel screening that sound really good, can you tell me please what the Bowel Cancer Test you can do at home is.Where can you buy it or do you get it from the Doctors surgery?

sarahellenwhitney Sat 29-Feb-20 16:04:13

Most certainly carry on with a cervical screening regardless of whether sexually active or not even if you have to arrange it yourself.How would you know what is 'going on in there' even though there is no indication all is not as it should be.Breasts you can examine your self and the first hint of a lump then go see your doctor.