Gransnet forums

Health

Other than yet more medication does anyone know how to get High Blood Pressure down?

(34 Posts)
nanamac77 Fri 28-Feb-20 14:11:03

I've been on BP medication for over 20 years and dosages have gradually increased and so has BP ! I've just had a pre op assessment for a cataract operation and been told that they will not do the op if my BP isn't lower. ( approx 160/110 at moment) Doc has added diuretic to the lisinopril I take and admittedly I've only taken it for a few days but no sign of it lowering . GP made me buy a BP monitor and record readings; it is extremely painful and I'm sure taking readings every day is so much of an ordeal that it's probably raising my BP.( knowing the op is in doubt is also raising it!) Anyone know of ways to lower BP? I've got about a month before the op.

Lisagran Fri 28-Feb-20 16:37:31

Lots of good advice here
www.bloodpressureuk.org/BloodPressureandyou/Yourlifestyle/Eatingwell

I was told I had high BP before Christmas - down to a good level now, with a combination of Ramipril (5mg) and a good diet. I am vegetarian anyway, but increased the fruit and veg I eat. Beetroot juice is good for you and I find it ok - pomegranate juice too. Lots of oats, pistachios, whole meal bread and pasta, dark chocolate, blueberries. NO SALT.
Trying to do at least 20 mins exercise daily.
I’m taking my BP every other day at the moment, as recommended by the cardiac nurse at the surgery (best of 3 readings).
Good luck!

Bbarb Fri 28-Feb-20 16:54:33

I am underweight at 7st 2lb and have thin arms but the cuff is still downright painful. I want to shout Stop Stop as it tightens and tightens and the pins and needles shoot through my. hand and fingers. Its torture and the anticipation of this makes my reading higher, I'm sure.
A 24hr monitor showed no problems but I have a huge argument with medics before any procedure because of the BP readings.
All the pills have quite serious side effects, dry mouth and eyes and 'ladies bits' or an irritation cough or swollen legs or migraines and sight problems . But they seem to be handed out like sweeties. I know they call high BP the silent killer but I'm not quite convinced all this medication is the answer. In some cases it seems to make things worse, and once you're on them you're afraid to stop.
Sometimes I feel like throwing them in the fire and seeing what happens to the readings.

Hetty58 Fri 28-Feb-20 17:06:55

Same here Bbarb, horrendous side effects, normal 24 hr readings and much lower with a manual BP machine. The practice nurse even suggested that I'd imagined side effects, - not very nice! I don't take my pills if I've got a busy day or I'm out for a special do and I always feel much better!

Oldbat1 Fri 28-Feb-20 18:16:43

I absolutely hate having my BP taken. I just find the squeezing cuff causes great discomfort. I am not overweight. I prefer having injections to BP check. Prefer going to the dentist for fillings rather than go for blood pressure monitoring. We are all different.

Hetty58 Fri 28-Feb-20 18:22:06

I suggest you insist on a manual monitor. The doctors do have them (hidden in a drawer somewhere). My own BP goes down a lot with more walking and exercise - so usually in the summer months when the dog gets longer walks and I'm out and about more!

Sallywally1 Fri 28-Feb-20 18:39:40

I have the same problem and have had it for several decades. I am on three tablets which could be smarties they help so little. In the past I have followed all the advice, no salt, lose weight, cut down on alcohol etc etc. My blood pressure remained high and is high to this day. I too find that home readings are lower than GP ones. I also find the cuff they use extremely painful and maybe one cause for higher readings, especially in the light of lower readings at home.

Sorry OP I don’t have any answers as I am in the same boat, but I do sympathise!

nanamac77 Fri 28-Feb-20 19:15:55

I'm with Grandma Mora . And yes, as the machine goes up it tightens the cuff so that it really squeezes and hurts my arm and it stays at the very painful point for a number of seconds before releasing the cuff. . I'm aware re salt and do try to avoid it as much as possible. My diet is reasonable healthy = lot of fish and vegetables.
Again, thanks for your contributions.

Daisymae Fri 28-Feb-20 19:37:53

There's a machine called a Resperate, basically you breathe with it and gradually slows down your breathing rate. It does work. A low salt diet and exercise also is supposed to help.