Gransnet forums

Health

Coronavirus - bring back retired GPs to deal with crisis ...

(46 Posts)
jura2 Sun 01-Mar-20 20:34:39

Considering older people are more likely to catch the virus and to have serious complications from it ... how on earth are they going to persuade retired GPs to come back ?!?

jura2 Mon 02-Mar-20 19:35:19

Self preservation is not selfish- if you are in the most at risk group, and suffering from conditions which make you even more at risk - after al lifetime of working such long hours and in under such stress- they would be mad to. Have you ever worked 120 + hrs a week lemon, making life and death decisions? Would I be wrong to doubt it?

OH nearly died twice because of the above- at 74, if he told me he was going back- I would tie him down!

Greeneyedgirl Mon 02-Mar-20 19:51:19

Most of my colleagues were so knackered when they left the health services, so a straw poll, admittedly not representative, suggests it's not very likely especially as a) they would need upskilling and b) most are in the at risk age group, plus would need to take out professional insurance etc.

jura2 Wed 04-Mar-20 10:52:19

Don't always agree with Nick Ferrari- but interviewing Matt Hancock today- saying the Government is concentrating efforst and ressources for those most at risk of coronav- Nick went on to ask about bringing back retired doctors to deal with the crisis. He told Hancock it makes absolutely no sense to say they will concentrate on protecting the elderly most at risk- and at the same time bring back older retired doctors who fit into that category. Clear nonsense, he said.
Yes.

jura2 Wed 04-Mar-20 10:56:19

BTW do you have any idea how much GPs pay per year for compulsory cover against legal issues? Up to £30.000.

Jane10 Wed 04-Mar-20 11:03:34

It could be that the recently retired GPs still have their registration and MDU cover. I gather that registration issues would be temporarily waived. I doubt they'd be for the front line. Doctors would still be needed for the routine GP stuff that will still have to go on. thus sparing the younger fitter ones for the more contagious work.
Volunteers of all sorts will still be needed to keep the wheels of care moving. I'm starting back at our local hospital as a volunteer. Its the main Corona Virus testing centre but the whole hospital has to be staffed.

Daisymae Wed 04-Mar-20 13:58:59

A nurse on another site said she was aged 60 and didn't see why she should put herself at risk. She wanted something in writing to take to work to make her exempt. In view of the government's stated policy I didn't think that this was likely.

Jane10 Wed 04-Mar-20 14:10:48

I don't think they're being press ganged into service. Asking for volunteers seems reasonable.

eazybee Wed 04-Mar-20 14:44:59

I heard a retired doctor on the radio yesterday pouring scorn on the idea that he would go back and help.
My feeling is, in the unlikely event of a national emergency, every one should help.
Just as in the war and previous emergencies there will be those whose sense of self-preservation over-rides any other consideration. Fortunately, as in previous emergencies, there will be plenty more who are concerned for the greater good.

Daisymae Wed 04-Mar-20 15:05:31

The nurse I mentioned is currently employed! I thought like saying but it's your job but thought better of it. It seems to me that many retired personnel feel that they were so badly treated that they feel no alleigence. Can't say that I blame them. A better plan would be to commandeer private hospitals but I guess they will want them for themselves.

Jane10 Wed 04-Mar-20 15:51:56

I'm retired from NHS and don't feel I was badly treated. I'm happy to volunteer to help in any capacity. As eazybee says, in time of need plenty of people will come forward to help.

wildswan16 Wed 04-Mar-20 16:12:47

Any ex or current NHS staff I have spoken to say they would be happy to step into any role necessary in a national emergency. Yes, it may be problematic as regards pensions etc - but if things get really chaotic for our medical services then all of that can be sorted out later.

Would we all not be willing to help out in a crisis?

SirChenjin Wed 04-Mar-20 16:15:17

They’ll certainly ask for volunteers (and indeed they’re doing that already in my Board) but I don’t think they should automatically assume that a whole army of retired GPs, nurses and other frontline staff will magically appear to aid Queen and country for the reasons already given. We’re being asked to volunteer internally in the first instance so I suspect that asking retired people to step forward will be something that’s further down their list. Certainly there’s no sign of it happening here.

Jane10 Wed 04-Mar-20 16:31:26

I think it's just one of many potential plans being put forward. Time will tell if it's needed.

Teetime Wed 04-Mar-20 16:36:37

As a retired nurse I would be more than happy to help out. I shouldn't think for a moment I would be posted to the 'front line' but I am sure I can be helpful and be bloody cheerful about it.

mumofmadboys Wed 04-Mar-20 17:00:05

I retired 6 years ago as a GP. I would hate to return to work. I wouldn't feel safe any more. I am out of date and deskilled. My friends feel the same.

sodapop Wed 04-Mar-20 17:29:51

Exactly momb and that's it in a nut shell. Would need to be very recently retired doctors and nurses whose skills are up to date.

jura2 Wed 04-Mar-20 17:36:23

Indeedy. If OH said he would go back- I would lock him up. He has done enough- and is in a very high risk group.
The Government didn't say they would ask for 'volunteers' but that they would 'bring back retired GPs'. Volunteer if you like- your decision.

SirChenjin Wed 04-Mar-20 18:17:36

Exactly - and if they don’t ‘volunteer’, what will the Govt do then? Stop their NHS pensions? Set Priti on them? wink

Greeneyedgirl Wed 04-Mar-20 18:26:04

OMG SirC. That might ? me back to work, Priti that is!

Luckygirl Wed 04-Mar-20 18:40:07

Just spoke to a retired GP friend who said he was happy for anything behind a phone but not front line - he said that if GPs were required for front line work, then the government would have to stump up for MDU fees; and to exempt them from the appraisal/training system.