Gransnet forums

Health

Parliament closing?

(9 Posts)
Daisymae Thu 05-Mar-20 00:04:58

Seems that they are thinking of closing Parliament because of the virus? Surely just 2 days ago the PM said business as usual. What about people that work in shops, offices etc. How about leading by example?

paddyanne Thu 05-Mar-20 00:12:44

any excuse from Boris and co ,its them first and everybody else a long way back in the queue ,I was horrified to see priti Patels expenses for the past few years almost 3/4 of a million pounds plus she pays her OH £25k a year to "work" part time for her ...while wages are stagnant for millions and children are going hungry .

Chestnut Thu 05-Mar-20 00:34:58

I can see their point. Carole Monaghan said: ‘Every week 650 of us come here from every part of the UK, spend several days operating in close proximity and meeting people from all over the world, and we then return to our constituencies, potentially becoming the very vectors that we are trying to shut down.’

Jane10 Thu 05-Mar-20 06:49:40

Seems reasonable. Work can continue via email, Skype etc. It's only a plan just now.

Calendargirl Thu 05-Mar-20 06:56:10

Well, they are suggesting others work from home if possible, though I know that many can’t of course.

Ginny42 Thu 05-Mar-20 06:59:34

To be honest I'm a bit worried about going to an event this weekend with about 100 people, so I can see the logic in the plan.

What I don't like is that the Government are not going to release daily figures of the location of the disease. How can we plan and prepare to protect ourselves if we don't know where it is? Surely we deserve to be kept informed.

Riverwalk Thu 05-Mar-20 07:19:21

It's a good time to curtail the House of Lords. I know we need a second chamber but not one with 800 members, many of whom take no active role other than turn up but still claim expenses.

I'm not sure about closing the Commons - governments need to be scrutinised, especially when they're avoiding media appearances.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 05-Mar-20 07:47:16

Good idea, we need a functioning government to oversee the situation. With Skype/video calling, email etc. they do not need to be in the H of P.

POGS Thu 05-Mar-20 10:00:42

paddyanne

'any excuse from Boris and co ,its them first and everybody else a long way back in the queue'
-

Did you watch PMQ's yesterday?

It was actually a question raised by one your own, SNP's Carol Monaghan, who spoke of MP's possibly bringing infections back and forth from Parliament to their constituents. She said:-

'Every week 650 of us come here from every part of the UK, spend several days operating in close proximity and meeting people from all over the world, and we then return to our constituencies, potentially becoming the very vectors that we are trying to shut down.'

Do you not agree it was sensible for the Commons Speaker Lynsey Hoyle to seek advice from the Chief Medical Officer Chris Whitty? The Speaker has a duty of care for the running of the Westminster and it's staff.?

Thus far it is going through appropriate due diligence, as other employers are doing. I think there is a case of stopping unnecessary meetings, stopping the visitors and school visits etc.