Gransnet forums

Health

Crikey - after a spirometry test I’ve found out my lungs are 20 years older than me!

(8 Posts)
Kandinsky Sat 07-Mar-20 08:39:54

Thank you all so much.

I’ll keep you updated
xx thanks

Oopsadaisy3 Sat 07-Mar-20 08:30:55

Sorry a couple of extra donts slipped in at the end? By the time I had altered them from Donuts! I was in a muddle, damned predictive text....

Oopsadaisy3 Sat 07-Mar-20 08:29:08

kandinsky I was diagnosed a couple of years ago with late onset coughing variant Asthma, age 65.
It’s likely that you will only get the preventer Inhaler, if used properly twice a day, this should prevent any further exacerbation, I also have a course of Prednisalone in case I have an exacerbation and am unable to get to the GP surgery .
I was also prescribed a daily pill which I stopped taking as it upset my stomach, apart from a Ventolin Inhaler which I use if I get breathless ( as well as the preventer) that’s it. Be aware of your body and act accordingly, my DH and DDs will tell me if I’m coughing as I don’t always realise how much I am doing it, I then need to use all inhalers and if after an hour or so I’m no better then I have to call the surgery.
Buy a peak flow meter and keep a daily reading, if it drops take regular reading over an hour or so as you could be heading downwards, it can happen quite quickly so be aware.
I also have a Pulse Ox meter that I can use if I feel uncertain.
You can download an action plan which you can fill in and carry with you.
The Asthma nurses are very good and can be phoned during surgery hours.
At the end of the day I have been told that if I feel that I am going downhill then I’m to ring 999 , I’ve not had to, but you will learn how to cope and also if you have a particular trigger.
Let your Health Insurance and Travel Insurance providers know ASAP.

Health Unlocked has a useful forum for Asthma sufferers.
PM me if you have any other questions?
Hope you feel better very soon, just use your preventer every day, even if you don’t feel you don’t need it.

GagaJo Sat 07-Mar-20 07:47:37

My mum has late onset asthma. She's always been very healthy, lots of exercise, never lived with a smoker.

I have very mild asthma, it really only affects me if I have a cold and sometimes not even then. I think I have a genetic predisposition. I suspect my lung health isn't what it should be.

Marydoll Sat 07-Mar-20 07:38:08

Kandinsky, sorry you have had such a shock. It can take the feet from you, when you are told something like this. You don't have to smoke to have reduced lung function, I never smoked. Environmental and family history can often affect the condition of our lungs.

Spirometry tests can give doctors a very good insight into how your lungs are functioning and help with a diagnosis.
I have had umpteen over the years to monitor my lung conditions after having my first ones at twenty one.

I would hope you would be given reassurance, support and a treatment plan, whether medication and or physio. With the help of medication, I managed my conditions and worked for over forty years, since my first spirometry tests.

Take time to digest the information and find strategies to you can do to make life easier for yourself.

Wishing you all the best.

Kandinsky Sat 07-Mar-20 07:36:05

Hey Nortsat46

Thank you for your reply. smile

I’m in the very early stages of diagnosis for persistent cough, mild chest pain, & breathlessness. which started end of December.
I’ve had chest X-ray & GP has ruled out anything extremely serious ( basically lung cancer ) so now thinks I have late onset asthma - hence booking me in for the spirometry test - which I actually passed I must say, but my lung age came out as 75 & I’m only 56.

I have an appointment booked for next week to discuss what happens going forward in terms of treatment, all she’s given me so far is an inhaler?

Nortsat46 Sat 07-Mar-20 07:21:59

Kandinsky (great name), lungs can improve and repair, markedly if not completely.

There are exercise plans that a physiotherapist can work out, with you.
What kind of treatment plan do you have?

You probably need some time to absorb the shock and then you can move forward to tackle the issue. Good luck?

Kandinsky Sat 07-Mar-20 07:11:19

I’m in shock.
Never smoked.

Anyone else had this?