Gransnet forums

Health

How do gloves protect?

(27 Posts)
MamaCaz Mon 09-Mar-20 11:21:37

I really don't see how wearing gloves helps to protect against viruses like coronavirus. I've read all the comments by those who wear them for this reason, but still don't get it.

Surely, while you are wearing them, the gloves pick up and transfer any viruses you might touch in just the same way as your hands, meaning that the risk of transferring these to your face, purse, phone, bank card, keys etc. is exactly the same as if you had bare hands?

I am ready to change my opinion if people can give me good enough reasons, but so far I haven't come across any convincing arguments or proof.

Greeneyedgirl Tue 10-Mar-20 20:19:36

I also think that UK hospitals are ill prepared. After 10 years of underfunding they are woefully understaffed and lacking in beds, and in addition social care is on its knees.

We have our first Covid 19 case in my county but have no drive thro' testing stations.

We have only half the ITU beds that Italy has, but at least our NHS is still a national service, and easier to be coordinated, unlike Italy.....But

I don't think our demographic has quite the ageing population that Lombardy has, and I have faith in our brilliant hardworking NHS staff that they will do their best to cope in this crisis.