Gransnet forums

Health

Hard decisions surrounding Coronavirus

(30 Posts)
willa45 Mon 09-Mar-20 17:23:41

Both DH and myself have routine doctor visits coming up in the near future. I already canceled mine. DH's (Cardiologist) is in NYC, where Coronavirus cases are multiplying daily and where not everyone has been tested. To make matters worse, Drs. office is on the fifteenth floor of a very large, busy hospital.

DH is a very vulnerable senior. He has serious health issues surrounding his heart and he's in his late seventies. He almost died of pneumonia two years ago. He now insists he has to keep this appointment because it involves a test to see how his heart is doing. He thinks if he drives, that will assuage my concerns. I say exposing himself by walking around and using the crowded lifts inside the hospital, is an even bigger risk to his health than the one in the crowded train.

His appointment is in ten days. I feel so strongly about this that I've considered wrapping myself around his right leg when the time comes to keep him from going. Unless it's a life threatening emergency, I feel he shouldn't go. Am I being unreasonable?

Hetty58 Tue 10-Mar-20 18:35:09

Definitely contact the department involved. It could be that the test is available elsewhere.

rosecarmel Tue 10-Mar-20 21:21:40

I'm also in the US, in the rustbelt- I put in a request to my doctor for assistance to be released from jury duty- I also submitted a request of release to the presiding judge- I've yet to hear back from the court reporter- But the receptionist from the doctors office called back and said that the doctor said that judges are only releasing people, including senior citizens, with medically severe conditions- <--- This in a state that suspended college classes, where healthcare experts and representatives alike are emphasizing that seniors refrain from social situations and distance themselves from others-

We have to be our own advocates-

willa45 Wed 11-Mar-20 00:26:12

Rosecarmel.....

I guess laws vary from state to state. I was under the impression that a proper doctor's note, should be enough to automatically exempt someone from jury duty.

I agree we have to be our own advocates, as you aptly said. The lack of consistency and coordination from one place to another is what worries me. It's actually making everyone else's efforts moot. As an example: No travelers from Italy allowed in the US they said....then college students drove a car from Italy to Switzerland and flew in from Zurich! They weren't even screened.
I just heard from a friend who is a FEMA engineer. He has been living and working in Puerto Rico on account of the recent earthquake damage there. He tells us that a cruise ship docked in San Juan, where one passenger was removed and quarantined with test results pending. In the meantime, some 700 passengers were allowed to get off the same ship, where they proceeded to go shopping, sightseeing, eating in local restaurants etc....!?@#!! Possibly carrying the Covid-19! Our FEMA friend is livid....As if the citizens of Puerto Rico don't already have enough on their plate!

The combined stupidity of the cruise line captain along with local authorities looking the other way to boost local business.....what could possibly go wrong?

rosecarmel Wed 11-Mar-20 04:01:06

Yep, there's no coordinated efforts in place, experts are talking out of both sides of their mouths, some their ass and the rest of us are flying by the freaking seats of our pants-

So much for Homeland Security preparedness for microscopic weapons of mass destruction ..

I just read an article in the Atlantic that I probably shouldn't have ..

www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/03/coronavirus-cancel-everything/607675/

Puerto Rico hadn't recovered from Maria when they stood elbow to elbow and demanded the governor's resignation, then more recently were hit with the earthquake and now this .. I totally understand why your friend is livid, they're still accepting ships petridishes into port!

Stay safe .. !