Gransnet forums

Health

Hand, Foot and Mouth disease

(10 Posts)
Missfoodlove Mon 09-Mar-20 20:41:13

I think it may be a close relation of herpesvirus.
My daughter had a 5th birthday party, it spread like wildfire.
I got a dose it felt like an ulcerated mouth, miserable bit not terrible.

rosenoir Mon 09-Mar-20 20:28:00

My daughter has a compromised immune system and when working in a school used to catch it regularly.

She used to feel quite poorly for a couple of days and the spots on hands feet and in her mouth were sore.

Fennel Mon 09-Mar-20 20:17:43

It was nits and scabies in my childhood.
Bedbugs and fleas later.

GagaJo Mon 09-Mar-20 20:06:14

DGS had it twice. He recaught it off his friend. He was fine albeit spotty the first time but quite unwell the second.

J52 Mon 09-Mar-20 19:50:38

DS caught it as an adult. He was quite poorly, but slept most of the time. He self isolated himself at our empty house for a week. ( we were on holiday), so his family did not get it. He antibaced everywhere before he left.
All was good.

DoraMarr Mon 09-Mar-20 18:50:30

It is usually fairly mild in children. Most of us will have encountered the virus- usually a cocksackie virus- at some point in our lives. It causes, as its name suggests, spots on the hands, feet and around and inside the mouth. They are flattish and crust over after a few days. However, it can be quite nasty for adults: my daughter was quite poorly with it. I cared for two grandchildren with it, and spent time with my poorly daughter, and I haven’t caught it. But then, I used to be a teacher in an infant school, so I think I have a good resistance to most things.
The NHS website has information on it.

Harris27 Mon 09-Mar-20 18:49:15

Don’t worry I work in a nursery and it’s common. Just keep your gc off till it subsides. It’s usually contagious 3/6 days before symptoms develop. And can remain so for a few weeks it starts with a fever sore throat and generally feeling unwell. Red blister like spots on tongue gums and inside of cheeeks. Also a red rash on hands feet and sometimes buttocks. She can return to nursery 2/3 days after the fever has gone. But I would keep them off longer if any blisters appear.

Hetty58 Mon 09-Mar-20 18:44:22

It was at my grandson's school some years ago. Sounds horrible, I know, but nothing much to worry about.

Franbern Mon 09-Mar-20 18:43:41

Pretty common amongst young children, your GP surgery will advise you. Nothing to really get worried about though

vegansrock Mon 09-Mar-20 18:41:02

I’ve just been told that a child in my GCs nursery has hand, foot and mouth disease. My thoughts: oh gawd another thing to catch. The NHS site says it’s mild but worse in adults. What should I be looking for - has anyone had it?