Gransnet forums

Health

How much exercise do you have?

(40 Posts)
Grammaretto Tue 10-Mar-20 10:44:02

Just asking because I was at Biobank recently filling in an online survey. I was asked how often I do exercise which made me sweat. I answered "Never" so the robot asked if I had made a mistake! No mistake. I like to walk and play gentle badminton and I do yoga but to build up a sweat? No thanks. How about you?

Maggiemaybe Tue 10-Mar-20 18:58:16

I do know what you mean, EllanVannin, but don’t let it put you off. If I’m having a day at home I sometimes just take myself off for a brisk walk round the neighbourhood for a bit of fresh air. I never see anyone else on their own without a dog, and have twice been asked where mine is! When I asked one woman what she meant, she said she didn’t know people went walking without a dog! confused I don’t let it bother me though.

Thanks for the kind words, Grammaretto, but I do feel as if I slob about far too much.

Scentia Tue 10-Mar-20 18:50:19

With regard to breaking into a sweat, probably none at the moment!
I was supposed to run for the first time since November tonight but it has been cancelled due to the ruddy virus and I didn’t want to run alone!
But when I am running I will do it twice a week, and I deffo sweat!
I walk everywhere but not fast.
I will swim at least once a week but generally don’t sweat, or I don’t think I do but I do get out of breath.

EllanVannin Tue 10-Mar-20 18:44:26

My walk around the block was scuppered a few weeks ago when the neighbour who I was going to join, lost her dog. It was getting on in years and I'd had it in mind to accompany her when she did her twice a day stint at a slow but balanced pace. ( it could only happen to me grin )

I won't go walking on my own, feel such a lemon and I'd look as though I didn't belong to anyone.

Millie22 Tue 10-Mar-20 18:34:00

Not a lot unless you count walking around the shops. I do the housework and look after the garden and I'm the same weight as I was in my 20's.

CanadianGran Tue 10-Mar-20 18:30:50

Grammaretto, you don't need to break a sweat to classify an activity as exercise.

I mostly walk, briskly, and occasionally use the elliptical machine but don't often break a sweat. It's still being active and is good for your heart and muscles.

You play badminton and do yoga- that is exercise!

kircubbin2000 Tue 10-Mar-20 18:21:07

I dont like walking alone either so I meet my friend before her daily long walk.I go with her for 20 minutes then we turn and she continues after I get home.I do this twice a week.

endlessstrife Tue 10-Mar-20 17:59:25

Swimming three times a week. Gym once or twice, cycle. Like walking, but my husband struggles, so can be slow sometimes. Don’t like walking alone.

Mtc59 Tue 10-Mar-20 17:52:39

More than nothing but not as much as I would like due to arthritis. Very frustrated after leading an active and sporty life.

Lucca Tue 10-Mar-20 17:43:24

Anniebach. I’m sorry to hear that it must be very tough for you.

Grammaretto Tue 10-Mar-20 17:38:10

I don't know why you feel you should be more active Maggiemaybe what you do sounds pretty adequate.
My DSis who has been superfit - winning marathons etc. Has a new hip and is awaiting a second one.
My BP is fine. Ok i could do with losing a bit of weight but if I ate less.....
I have joined the U3A walkers so hoping to shape up a bit.
DM lived until 93 and she didn't go in for sweating .

Maggiemaybe Tue 10-Mar-20 17:08:22

Not enough, as confirmed by the nurse at my 5 yearly MOT last week. My weight, BP, cholesterol and diet are fine, but I agreed that I need to be more active.

I don't drive so walk a lot, do a half hour in front of my yogalates dvd once a week and try to remember to do Michael Mosley's ten minute "exercise snacking" twice a day followed by a quick session with my hand weights. Which reminds me that I haven't done it at all this week. blush

I used to run, but it gave me awful lower back pain, used to do Zumba and Body Combat, but just got lazy. Oh dear.

Jane10 Tue 10-Mar-20 16:57:13

Aquafit is great for me. I do it in as deep water as possible ie up to my neck so my joints are well supported by the water and all movements are resistance. We use bar bell floats and it's hard pushing them up and down or through the water slowly. The noodle floats are great and really make you use use your core muscles.
The worst bit is making yourself get to the sports centre on a frosty morning and getting into the pool. After that it's lovely. Hard but lovely. ☺️

Cunco Tue 10-Mar-20 16:16:11

I still jog once or twice a week outside or, more recently, on a treadmill. I definitely work up a sweat doing that. I still do a lot of gardening and, lately, I try to walk more and use the car less.

lemongrove Tue 10-Mar-20 16:13:03

Well, I used to wind up my watch every night ?
Apart from walks and exercise from gardening and household chores....no.

BlueSky Tue 10-Mar-20 16:10:59

Just walk I've always done it and enjoy it . Not rambling either, in the summer probably get up to 10,000 steps winter only about 500 indoors round the shops. Keeps me fit and sane!

MerylStreep Tue 10-Mar-20 16:10:02

Oh, Annie the Pembrokeshire coastal path: heaven ( on a sunny day, of course ?)

mumofmadboys Tue 10-Mar-20 16:09:59

I play table tennis twice a week for 90 minutes. I also walk regularly and cycle a bit. I like kayaking in the summer.

Taichinan Tue 10-Mar-20 16:09:26

I instruct four tai chi classes each week which I know to be excellent exercise, but apart from that, nothing! It's strange but I never feel my hips sore at all when doing and teaching tai chi, but after a while walking does cause pain. I've never been able to work out why that should be! I'm almost 79 so consider myself reasonably fit, but I think genes contribute to that.

Anniebach Tue 10-Mar-20 16:02:15

Can’t walk down my garden path, arthritis and agoraphobia,
I have fond memories of climbing Snowdon, walking holidays
in Scotland and Bronte country, Pembrokeshire coastal path, if only I could walk a mile now.

grannyactivist Tue 10-Mar-20 15:56:26

Since the end of August when I became ill I have done virtually NO exercise at all. I used to walk a great deal, but on the few occasions I have been out recently (to the surgery or pharmacy mostly) I have either taken the bus or got a lift. sad

Nightsky2 Tue 10-Mar-20 15:50:39

45 minutes walk with DH and little dog every day.

Alishka Tue 10-Mar-20 15:49:57

None at all nowsad I've a progressive neurological condition and can't walk now. Was always v. active. Sometimes I dream I'm walking or running somewhere..

FlexibleFriend Tue 10-Mar-20 15:46:21

I sweat buckets without moving so not sure what sweating proves tbh. I exercise very little being disabled, in fact barely move.

LadyGracie Tue 10-Mar-20 14:04:28

I do walk regularly and I thoroughly enjoy it, apart from walking I’m lazy.

Willow500 Tue 10-Mar-20 13:57:46

Next to none! I try to walk into town daily but at this moment even that's curtailed as my husband is off work after an operation and is unable to walk anywhere. I used to be pretty fit and could run on my treadmill at topspeed for a good 30 mins but that's years ago sad I'm just hoping once everything gets back to normal I can start to walk a bit more!