Gransnet forums

Health

WHO declares Pandemic

(96 Posts)
Daisymae Wed 11-Mar-20 16:42:38

Seems like it's official, but the evidence has been around for some time. Maybe time for some decisive action?

Cunco Wed 11-Mar-20 20:32:44

The declaration of a pandemic could be significant for insurance policies as some policies exclude elements of cover if a pandemic is declared.

It seems to me the government has been following the advice of health experts. You can read what is being done and may follow soon on the BBC website. There has been no shortage of information for individuals from BBC, NHS and, in my case, my doctor's surgery. My wife and I (both over 70) have decided to avoid contact with large groups as a result.

Personally, I would have stopped crowds attending the Cheltenham races and football matches; but one has to ask whether avid race-goers with accommodation booked and paid for would not have travelled anyway and watched the races in pubs which were less well equipped than the racecourse. You can bar the punter from the racecourse but you wouldn't keep him from the bar.

Daisymae Wed 11-Mar-20 21:02:34

The editor of the Lancet has accused the government of playing roulette with people's lives. I would imagine that this is someone who is aware of what action needs to be taken to manage the current crisis. Flights from Italy, mass gather at Cheltenham it's just inexplicable. Poland closed schools when they had 10 cases.

Cunco Wed 11-Mar-20 21:15:59

Daisymae Do you have a link to the Lancet editor's comments? I googled but found a more general comment in The Lancet 7 March:

'High-income countries, now facing their own outbreaks, must take reasoned risks and act more decisively. They must abandon their fears of the negative short-term public and economic consequences that may follow from restricting public freedoms as part of more assertive infection control measures.'

GrannyLaine Wed 11-Mar-20 21:39:19

twitter.com/richardhorton1?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

This is Richard Horton's tweet calling for social distancing. Not very informative and as Editor of the Lancet, his perspective is a medical view, whereas the government have a much more complex balancing act.

DoraMarr Wed 11-Mar-20 22:00:54

I understand that pandemic does not refer to the severity but the geographical reach of the virus. I am aLabour supporter and am not a fan of this government, but I think they are handling this well. They are putting Prof Whitty and Sir Patrick Vallance forward as spokesmen and I think their responses are based on sound scientific analysis and modelling. As GrannyLaine says, the government has a delicate balancing act. Closing schools, for instance, would have far reaching implications and would be very difficult to manage. At the moment, the number of people in the UK diagnosed is 0.00069 of the population. ( based on a population of 66,400,000) So the chances of catching it have been low. There will be a rise, but at the moment it seems to be fairly well contained. The danger in shutting schools, theatres etc too early is that people will begin to ignore the containment. It will also lead to social isolation and concomitant mental health problems. I’m going to listen to the experts, and ignore the sensationalist, catastrophising newspapers.

MissAdventure Wed 11-Mar-20 22:43:26

We need a public information film.

anniezzz09 Wed 11-Mar-20 22:50:12

twitter.com/BorisJohnson/status/1237760976482598913?s=20

Eloethan Wed 11-Mar-20 23:39:35

I think people who have the range of symptoms that are typical of this virus should be tested, not just told to "self-isolate". Before they have self-isolated they have probably been in contact with many people, who presumably will be unaware that there is a risk they have been in contact with someone who may have the virus. Testing would establish if the person actually has the virus - and any known contacts could be tested also.

I suspect that we just don't have the resources to test on this sort of scale but it's my belief that this is what is needed, along with banning large indoor gatherings.

GrannyLaine Thu 12-Mar-20 07:43:58

MissAdventure I'm not sure how that would be helpful - it would be out of date as soon as it was made. There is plenty of good information available if people choose to access it. The approach to the pandemic has to change in response to how the virus spreads.

vegansrock Thu 12-Mar-20 07:59:34

Italian hospitals are better staffed and resourced than the NHS ( more gdp spent) yet they are being overwhelmed with cases of viral pneumonia and can’t treat everyone. It’s a scary scenario, we are only a couple of weeks behind. After having just having one nasty bout of flu I’m now definitely self isolating. Lots of gardening to be done.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 12-Mar-20 08:52:15

I have just watched an interview on GMB with a lady from WHO and she said that Covid-19 has the characteristicts of a pandemic but as of yet they have not declared it as a pandemic because to do so what have far reaching legal implications.

Lucca Thu 12-Mar-20 09:19:29

Tom Hanks and his wife are in Australia and have tested positive.

Hypno Thu 12-Mar-20 10:35:46

I don't think anyone really knows .....not even death rate cos only calculated by those tested and if it is mild mostly and not tested then may be much lower. I find the current attitude of 'only' the old .....defined as over 65 I believe.... Astonishing....given most of us that age are caregivers, still working due to pension changes, and beloved parents/grandparents......

BusterTank Thu 12-Mar-20 10:39:27

I'm afraid money comes first before lives in this country . All the government is worried about is how it will effect the economy .

TLVgran48 Thu 12-Mar-20 10:43:38

Dr Donald Macaskill, chief executive of Scottish Care, sees ageism at work in responses to Corona -

thirdforcenews.org.uk/blogs/virus-challenge-shows-creeping-ageism-in-society?fbclid=IwAR3j0T7FYlo18hrff5KE74HDVTzzJ7YM43q8bRivZfnk_uxNuU39h5TzJpI

Nannan2 Thu 12-Mar-20 10:44:58

As usual for our gov't sallyB.and in meantime our kids& grandkids are at risk in our schools/colleges/uni's & its got closer to home as schools/colleges brought it back from italian ski trips!sadangry As for bringing them over just for footy match,well its just insane!angry

Nannan2 Thu 12-Mar-20 10:51:32

Oh i dont know,maybe a public information film would help- i STILL remember the ones we had when i was a kid(im 56) they scared you half to death & then you NEVER dared do what they warned you against!(remember stranger danger?& the one with the grim reaper warning of dangers of playing near water?) Yes?-exactly!smile

Yogadatti Thu 12-Mar-20 11:01:03

I believe in common sense, not so-called experts who are often wrong about loads of things. As we are an island we could have stopped people coming in ages ago. It’s crazy that everyone getting off a plane, boat or Eurostar haven’t been tested as soon as they come in. My view is that if only young people were dying, real action would have been taken ages ago, the majority of young people don’t care about old people. I think it’s all been mismanaged by the government , until they close down things that actually effect young people’s lives, the latter just wont take it seriously, or if some celebrity dies!

Nandalot Thu 12-Mar-20 11:04:50

I do think Boris Johnson should have been tested for the virus after the reception with Nadine Dorries. I know he was apparently six feet from her but he should lead by example. What does his refusal say to others in the same position?

Nannan2 Thu 12-Mar-20 11:08:57

He refused to be tested?!hmm

tickingbird Thu 12-Mar-20 11:12:42

Yes it is ageism but in the case of Italy where they are overwhelmed, doctors are having to make difficult decisions ie which to save, the 87 yr old or the 52 yr old with a younger family? It's a dreadful situation and I hope and pray it doesn't come to that over here. I have a real phobia about not being able to breathe and I do have underlying health issues. I'm ok and pretty fit but I am getting anxious as I think if I get it, I'll be in a bad way.

Nannan2 Thu 12-Mar-20 11:14:34

I've decided if they don't close down education buildings as of monday i won't let my sons go to college or uni as they're in higher risk groups with neurological condition& asthma.I too have neuro& heart problem,so its just not worth the risk..i don't care what education authority do to me.its just not happening.??

Tillybelle Thu 12-Mar-20 11:15:05

farview. I feel for you, and others with a similar dilemma, When your family are abroad and need you at this time it is such a difficult decision. I do hope you find a resolution that is right for you all.

As for the WHO giving pandemic status to this flu, it kind of makes me chuckle. Of course it underlines how widespread and how virulent it is. But it does not change anything! Corona virus will do what it's doing whatever status we afford it.

anniezzz09. I found your information really interesting. Thank you. I haven't seen the G. yet. It is with this knowledge that we/government should make decisions on how to prevent further infection. I would be quite drastic and have a severe restriction on movement, gatherings and would possibly close schools. It might need changing dates of exams. We need to take control and do what we can until it passes. I know it is not severe for the majority but there remain an inexplicable few who are young and fit who do die, as with the brave Doctor in China.

Meanwhile to all, good luck, keep in touch here, it raises my spirits to have our community to support each other, I am sure others probably feel the same!

Margs Thu 12-Mar-20 11:16:35

Strangely, there's no panic buying of fresh vegetables, plenty to go round. The gannets pounce on tinned and frozen veg., frozen pizzas, multi-packs of crisps etc, anything that doesn't require something called "a little effort."

I just guess that if you show the average millennial a big fresh cauliflower they'd be scratching their heads as to what to do with it until Kingdom come......

tickingbird Thu 12-Mar-20 11:19:48

Margs I agree and something I was reading yesterday was advising healthy diet ie plenty of fresh veg and vitamin c and vitamin D. Also good quality sleep. All these things help to boost the immune system.