Gransnet forums

Health

WHO declares Pandemic

(96 Posts)
Daisymae Wed 11-Mar-20 16:42:38

Seems like it's official, but the evidence has been around for some time. Maybe time for some decisive action?

sluttygran Fri 13-Mar-20 10:31:10

The government don't seem inclined to help us all very much, so I think everyone who is able should practice 'social distancing'

Only see people who you really can't avoid.

Don't fly or visit airports unless absolutely necessary.

Ditto public transport.

Avoid crowds.

Have shopping delivered, or if that's not possible, shop very early, or miss peak times.

Use ATMs and PIN pads as seldom as possible and wash hands thoroughly afterwards.

Avoid school and nursery children if you can. This is impossible for many of us, myself included, but make sure they wash their hands thoroughly.
Thank God little children don't seem to have this illness very badly, but they pass on everything!

Take your exercise outdoors and away from crowds. Most parks and open spaces wont be crowded at this time of year, and fresh air will help your immune system.

Clean your mobile phone and bank card regularly with antibacterial or soapy water.

Take plenty of vitamin C. It may not help, but it's worth a try.

And handwash, handwash, handwash.

Good luck everybody, hope you stay well or recover quickly.

tickingbird Fri 13-Mar-20 09:37:16

The government can’t stop it. I believe our government are doing the right thing. It’s time to be responsible,and many aren’t. Stay in as much as possible, keep away from children as much as possible and take good care of yourself. At present the majority of people just don’t believe it’s going to happen to them. I am taking as many steps as possible to protect myself. It’s down to us all to follow the government’s advice. As for people travelling to Italy and so on they’re being irresponsible and I’d keep my distance.

Daisymae Fri 13-Mar-20 09:08:23

My understanding is that the government have chosen to build up the immunity of the herd in a controlled way. They need 80 percent of the population to get it to build resistance, but not all at once. I wonder if this is the'taking it on the chin' referred to by Johnson. I can see the logic, but no other country seems to be going down this route. It's a big gamble. I just come back to thinking that we must take responsibility for our own health and decide what's appropriate for us.

grandtanteJE65 Fri 13-Mar-20 08:53:43

well time will tell which method works. Here (Denmark) all schools closed yesterday, creches and kindergartens the day before that. Meetings involving more than a thousand have been banned for weeks, and now smaller meetings are being cancelled too. Our local co-op has a skeleton staff on duty and has placed hand disinfectant at the doors and are very willing to deliver. Children will not be allowed into the shop, if they cannot stay at home, games will be organised in the parking allotment. Buses may only transport the 43 passangers they have seats for.

GrannyLaine Fri 13-Mar-20 08:18:29

Flygirl if its the Dean Koontz one you're referring to, that was faked. It was doing the rounds on FB

Naty Fri 13-Mar-20 03:23:20

Here in Canada they've declared 3 weeks off school.. cases are ramping up. Be safe and practice socially distancing yourselves from others

Jannicans Fri 13-Mar-20 02:19:35

Seems the whole world has gone mad, the only commonsense appear to come from we older women.

Flygirl Thu 12-Mar-20 22:29:25

There was a book written in 1981, telling of a laboratory made virus developed in Wuhan Province, China as germ warfare, which was predicted to cause havoc in the world about now....

I think it's a man made conspiracy to effectively "cull" us oldies off, to eradicate the need for ongoing social care and paying out our pensions!
Just sayin' !! grin

GrannyLaine Thu 12-Mar-20 21:22:56

But surely BoBo53 all the same principles for management apply to older folk as the rest of the population, its just the level of risk that's a bit different. Only you and your members can decide how to proceed.

BoBo53 Thu 12-Mar-20 20:53:48

Found today's briefing ridiculous for us older folk. The only advice seems to be not to go on cruise. As President of my WI I wanted more advice as to how we can best help our members. Cancel our meeting in a fortnight and arrange to keep in touch and offer help where needed OR carry on as normal to alleviate loneliness. In which case must we deep clean our hired hall, take temperatures and supervise hand washing??

Alioop Thu 12-Mar-20 19:20:45

I was in supermarket this morning and spoke to a lady who was in to buy cola. Said if she has to stay home she will have it for her vodka as she will just drink for the fortnight!

JaneJudge Thu 12-Mar-20 19:06:19

We have several friends and colleagues who have been to Italy in the last few weeks (one went this weekend and was confined to the hotel and then was made to fly home early this week) and none of them have taken it seriously. One has also developed symptoms. I doubt were alone in knowing people travel. This government just isn't good enough in its response but tbh they just don't care about the vulnerable in general either, do they?
My daughter has a very severe disability and I'm normally pretty pragmatic but I feel actually quite depressed through worry at the moment. I found it difficult to get out of bed this morning. I have no health anxieties usually at all

Tillybelle Thu 12-Mar-20 17:02:07

SallyB392 Dear Sally, I am very upset that you are so distressed. As if it is not enough for your DH and you to be managing all those health conditions already, the news and fears spreading about Covid-19 are just too cruel to add to your burdens. I actually cannot imagine anyone in our Hospitals not helping someone. Of course I have heard the terrible fears about not enough equipment or beds in ITU etc, but I am very sure that were you to be admitted with shortness of breath, nobody would leave you without help, and that you would be given every assistance at that hospital's disposal according to your needs. A lot of getting through an illness lies in the person's willpower to fight it. Never give up! If you need rest, take rest, but never
"fear that I or my husband will be put on the scrap heap."

The story of Italy may not be applicable to us. They may have been hit by a bigger wave. We may get more evenly spread waves. Nobody knows. Italy has a higher number of older people than the rest of Europe, I understand. Please do try not to be pulled down by those doom-mongers and have faith that you will get through this. Look how you have survived so much already. I have always been rather obstinate and refused to give up. Sometimes people think I am very patient! I just don't give up until I get somewhere. Usually progress happens gently but sometimes we need to be bold. So be bold, believe in yourself and your DH and be determined that whatever life throws at you, it's not going to be an annoying corona virus that knocks you down!

I wish you lots of luck and that you avoid infection and that the time of the flu passes by without catching you and DH and without your feeling frightened! I hope you will soon be able to feel much stronger in yourself and not get upset. Please do try not to dwell on this all the time. Just take common sense measures to protect yourself and then make sure you and your DH have other things in life to enjoy and keep you happily occupied. Sending you lots of love, Elle x

Nandalot Thu 12-Mar-20 16:46:37

Isn’t it time that the government did something more to prepare for the numbers who may need hospitalisation?
Yes we have pods for detection but what about some portacabins for beds? The Chinese built hospitals! Bring back retired and employ pre fully qualified medics to assist has been mooted but where is the training? DD was talking to a student nurse today to find out what training she has been given about Coronavirus and Coronavirus nursing. Answer, none. Perhaps the Cobra meeting later will deal with these urgent questions.

Marjgran Thu 12-Mar-20 16:08:52

The best guess is that the virus will return but the immediate bounce back can be limited if the controls are in place for long enough. Then it will return like seasonal flu, but to a population that now has many bodies that recognise it and have some immunity so it is less serious. Because fewer people will be seriously unwell the NHS won’t be so swamped that it is the public health emergency we face now. Also, perhaps by then we will have vaccines, and vaccines don’t stop all infection but (for instance) last year’s flu epidemic put lots of folk in hospital but few of them were the vaccinated ones.

Tillybelle Thu 12-Mar-20 15:45:34

P.S. I'm not encouraging panic buying! It is my 'subscribe and save' delivery! See my previous message. Thanks.

Tillybelle Thu 12-Mar-20 15:44:04

Sorry I said earlier my Amazon Subscribe and save 12 rolls for the price of 9 was out of date now. but I see it is not. What is different is the price! I always look for nice loo paper at under or near 30p a roll. This has gone up. Anyway if you are looking, it's on:
amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B073Q4BJKG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1]]
Cusheen Quilted Luxury Lavender Scented 3 Ply Toilet Tissue Paper Rolls – 60 Rolls, £24.99 (£0.42 /roll)
However, Amazon probably have some better offers!

GardenofEngland Thu 12-Mar-20 15:08:19

Well in my winter in sunny Spain...the dreaded has happened today 5 nurses in the local health centre have tested positive...and they have been out in the community and taking blood samples etc. Within hours all public places are closed all events cancelled and now the supermarkets are empty of loo roll, kitchen roll, soap powder, antibacterial kitchen spray, but oddly no bread, no eggs and no olive oil! So happy to see my Larios gin, tonic water, wine still on the shelves.

Tillybelle Thu 12-Mar-20 14:59:46

Thank you so much for your kind words, farview and Tickingbird, I always worry in case what I have said might have upset you.

That's really interesting to me moggie57 because I too had those symptoms with terrible aches and pains in bits of me that I didn't know I had, last week of January. At the time I thought my other conditions were all flaring up together, I had a little bit of gripey tummy too. Then it went and I realised I had been ill with a flu type virus. Then along came the fully described Corona virus. I actually do wonder if somehow I had it! It was the same symptoms. I too am in the "vulnerable" category under several labels, but I got over that without going to a Doctor. Actually I hardly ever call a Doctor when I feel really ill because they don't come out and I can't get there. I just accept I have to die some day but I need to make arrangements about my dogs!!
Golly this is morbid! Yes, it's practical, but absolutely no need for us to get anxious or to despair. We'll all get through this, I truly believe that, and probably have a few laughs along the way!

Davidhs. I agree with you (as I so often do!)

Tillybelle Thu 12-Mar-20 14:44:27

kjmpde. crumbs! Handwashing seldom done in SW? I had no idea!! Poor you! I did learn that men don't wash their hands as much as women after using the loo - I think it was a piece of research a student did when I was doing my degree. Quite glad we have an excuse not to shake hands now!!

Tillybelle Thu 12-Mar-20 14:40:57

tickingbird. Oh dear! I know I only have myself to blame but I find it so hard to take an interest in food and I am very bad at having decent meals here on my own! Can anyone suggest anything to spark me into action or even some good vitamin supplements? - Although I do appreciate they must not be used to replace a proper diet.
Added to my disinterest in food, I hate my ruined kitchen since the wicked builder damaged it.
Next, I can't sleep but that is a very long-standing situation down to my pain problems and the pain wakes me so I have never found a solution to that. I often feel lucky I am as healthy as I am considering my poor diet and lack of sleep. But you are all so wise and kind I'd love advice.

Oopsminty Thu 12-Mar-20 14:29:28

Davidhs has hit the nail on the head

kjmpde Thu 12-Mar-20 14:22:50

i'm not sure what is the differnce but the WHO has NOT declared a pandemic BUT said it has characteristics of a Pandemic. but as i now live in the southwest where hand washing is seldom done i'm not surprised that the incidence down here it is quite high in the UK.

tickingbird Thu 12-Mar-20 14:16:48

My son directed me to a YouTube podcast by an American comedian, Joe Rogan. On this particular one he has an eminent virologist speaking about this. He says after the lockdowns it will return - it’s just a temporary fix. He sounds like he knows what he’s talking about. I didn’t get the impression he’s scaremongering; just being realistic.

Davidhs Thu 12-Mar-20 13:59:39

I think the reality is that most of us are going to be exposed to Corona Virus sooner or later and the Government is just trying to slow down the spread. Just like influenza some will get a mild illness some wont, all we can do is be careful and avoid needless contact.