Gransnet forums

Health

Holiday cancelation quandery

(29 Posts)
Bbarb Thu 12-Mar-20 13:57:03

I am seriously considering cancelling my holiday which we should be taking in 2 week's time.
We will not get a refund or even a partial refund. This is really sad beause I've been saving up for it over several years - and at my age (81) am unlikely to be able to save enough for another holiday before I become too frail to travel (or die).
Should I be irresponsible and take my holiday regardless?

Fiachna50 Fri 13-Mar-20 01:16:11

Before anybody cancels any holiday, go and look at the Foreign Office website. They have information for each country. One piece of advice, if the Foreign Office advises against travel, but you go anyway, your travel insurance company will not accept a claim if anything goes wrong.

clementine Thu 12-Mar-20 22:00:51

You have nothing to loose by holding on to the last moment, and in fact may get a refund. I wouldn't make any decisions just yet. We are booked for Spain in May and will be going unless there are no flights .

Tangerine Thu 12-Mar-20 21:56:09

If you're going in two weeks, you haven't got much more time to make up your mind but I think you could leave the decision until a bit later. Your tour company might cancel the holiday and you would then be refunded.

Framilode Thu 12-Mar-20 21:51:35

Well we're off to our holiday home in Spain in two weeks but we will be driving there. It is in a small village and I think we will be just as safe there as here. Spain is a huge country and though there are a lot of cases it is not nearly as crowded as here.

Esspee Thu 12-Mar-20 21:42:53

I would go. If you do I hope you have a wonderful time.

Nannan2 Thu 12-Mar-20 19:59:42

You DON'T get a refund if the gov't haven't put us on 'lockdown' and just cancel because we don't want to risk it.

BlueSky Thu 12-Mar-20 19:48:53

Grammaretto I feel for you as I was considering a quick visit to my two sons
in Oz. Might be able to go later in the year but at the moment I wouldn't want to travel unless I had to.

BlueSky Thu 12-Mar-20 19:39:28

Bbarb I wouldn't go away at this stage, you could end up quarantined in a hotel I don't think travel is wise at the moment for anybody for non urgent reasons. As you are not going to get any refunds no matter how early you tell them, I wouldn't bother to advise them about cancelling, things may change dramatically yet and the travel company will have to refund everybody. Shame I know but you wouldn't want to risk being ill on holiday or when you come home.

TerriBull Thu 12-Mar-20 19:25:58

MacCavity2, it is a shame we were there this time last year it was wonderful, the weather was late 20s, we spent a couple of days in Cordoba too. I'd love to be going again, but every week, the virus hikes up the numbers, I just don't fancy going through any airport at the moment. Glad you are enjoying yourselves.

welbeck Thu 12-Mar-20 19:22:20

www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/12/health-expert-brands-uks-coronavirus-response-pathetic

for Mollygo, this is prof john ashton,
heard him speaking on radio earlier, very impressive.
wish he was in charge...

Daisymae Thu 12-Mar-20 18:57:09

At the press conference today they indicated that the peak would be 10 -12 weeks which obviously would be the summer. I did hope it would be much sooner than that. Personally I think I am going to cancel, it will save all the worry about what to do. If it all goes away (I wish), will always be able to rebook.

Mollygo Thu 12-Mar-20 18:44:18

Sorry, posted in the wrong place.

Mollygo Thu 12-Mar-20 18:43:40

Worried, like most of us here and wondering what I should/shouldn’t do e.g. about grandchildren, holidays and gym. What annoys me is people criticising what the government is doing WITHOUT making suggestions about what they think should be done. I don’t know if the government is making the best decisions, but I don’t know what I would do if I was in charge. Perhaps if all those critics who think they know better could publish their suggestions . . .

Grammaretto Thu 12-Mar-20 18:21:58

I am also sad today. Our DS and his family were booked to come from NZ to join us this summer.
They feel it would be irresponsible to travel in the present crisis.
It could still happen I suppose but they stand to lose a lot of money if they don't pull out of their booked accommodation soon.

I am sorry for you Bbarb having looked forward to this so much.

MacCavity2 Thu 12-Mar-20 18:17:03

Hi Terribull what a shame you’ve cancelled Seville. We have been here since Monday returning tomorrow. Weather is lovely 25 degrees today, people seem relaxed just following all the recommendations for hygiene. Hotels and restaurants busy. Lovely city. Will take our holidays as long it’s permitted and our health allows.

Bridgeit Thu 12-Mar-20 18:02:06

I agree with Welbeck, ...... we have had a couple of incidents whereby we have lost money due to unforeseen circumstances, but it is of diminished importance compared to health & wellbeing.

welbeck Thu 12-Mar-20 17:57:37

anyone can cancel anything, you dont have to go anywhere unless a prisoner in custody, or subject to a compulsory treatment order.
what people mean is they may lose money.
that is a choice and it hard to lose money but they way i see it is like when i had paid my rent in advance, and felt i had to stay for that period before i could get away from the overbearing interfering landlady.
i had somewhere i could go stay.
then clarity suddenly dawned.
i didnt have to stay just because i had paid the rent to do so.
why should i suffer a double punishment:
waste of money and having to put up with her an hour longer.
i walked out immediately. went delivery office to have mail redirected. shake the dust off feet.
sometimes we cannot see the wood for the trees.
why take further risk, just because you've paid for it.
it depends what you see as most important, and how you weigh up the risk.
if you were anyone i cared for i would pay you not to go.

vegansrock Thu 12-Mar-20 17:42:16

If it’s a cruise - don’t go

Oopsadaisy3 Thu 12-Mar-20 17:03:10

We have cancelled our holiday , we were due to go today, but DH has a chest infection which has triggered his Asthma, no refunds im afraid.

Its a nuisance, but if he had been fit and well we would have gone away.

TerriBull Thu 12-Mar-20 16:24:27

You don't say where your holiday is booked Bbarb.

TerriBull Thu 12-Mar-20 16:21:56

After much contemplation and studying the data coming out of Europe, we've decided not to go to Seville in a couple of weeks. I booked the hotels on the basis of no payment taken until a couple of days beforehand. We will have to write off the air fares and Gatwick airport car parking charge paid up front. I'm annoyed with myself that I added extras such as seat allocation and a case in the hold, next time I'll leave that until right up to the last minute. The statistics coming out of Spain are alarming. I'm disappointed but everybody is in the same boat and I think under the circumstances it would be very unwise of us to go.

Teetime Thu 12-Mar-20 14:20:52

A friend of mine said yesterday that her daughter who is supposed to be travelling to Japan in two weeks has been offered a full refund by the travel company.

Shelmiss Thu 12-Mar-20 14:19:33

My daughter is still going on holiday to Japan next week. Even if she wanted to she couldn’t cancel as she can only get a refund if BA cancel the flights, which they aren’t doing at the moment.

mumofmadboys Thu 12-Mar-20 14:10:40

The holiday may be cancelled by the holiday company in which case they will have to refund you

paddyanne Thu 12-Mar-20 14:08:02

It depends where you plan to go,some countries are very high risk ,get advice from your GP ,Dont ignore advice thats out there .We just cancelled my MIL 's birthday party ,as her GP said you have no idea who else will be in the venue or who they've been in contact with so dont put yourself at risk.IF you're cancelling because of the virus,you should get a refund from the company you booked with