Gransnet forums

Health

Has a anyone ever complained about nhs nursing treatment

(36 Posts)
gillybob Fri 13-Mar-20 05:02:36

My DH spent almost 3 months in hospital during October, November and December 2019 . Most of this time was spent on an IC unit where the care was second to none, with the exception of one highly qualified nurse who I dreaded seeing approach his bay and of whom he later had some awful flashbacks . She had a habit of referring to him as a “naughty boy” and had a very passive aggressive nature . I fail to imagine what she was like when I was not there.

When he was transferred from ICU onto a ward I can honestly say I witnessed some of the worst “nursing” care and I was glad to get him home where I could look after him myself properly.

Miscommunication between staff seemed to be almost the norm with no one taking responsibility for mistakes . Nasty attitudes to the patients (as though they were being greatly inconvenienced by the patients needs), lack of very basic care such as changing beds, clothes/underwear, clearing up mess, feeding etc. I think he might have starved to death if I hadn’t taken food in for him and fed him myself.

I could go on......and seriously thought of lodging a formal complaint but decided just to get him out of there as soon as possible .

He has been back in hospital twice since then and both times I have insisted on a different hospital .

welbeck Fri 13-Mar-20 03:08:52

well, i'm sorry but i have seen close up and experienced some very poor nursing over several years.
obviously it is a minority, but still too many.
i think maybe in the past it attracted more high-minded people. and still does now. but, there are also some who have entered it to get a qualification, and can be quite bossy, or careless, lazy, lacking empathy or real interest in patients.
i cannot detail examples now here as i find the recollections too distressing.
even as a child i can remember some real tartars who made children's lives a misery, so it is not just recent. i still have nightmares from that time. oppressive regimes are found everywhere, and attract oppressors.
i could mention some very good, careful and humane nurses, but that is not what was asked about here.

Txquiltz Fri 13-Mar-20 01:56:15

I am so sorry you had a bad experience. In 30 years I met 100's of nurses that were professional, caring, and truly gave all they had for the patient. The profession attracts people with an inate caretaking personality. They work long, hard hours, deal with abusive families or patients occasionally, do tasks a hardy sailor would find distasteful, give up family time if a patient "goes bad" and it is time for the shift to end, eases the transition from life to death if only by holding a hand, and feels a personal sadness that may last weeks for a patient beyond relief or cure. Defensive, yes. Please don't malign the few bad, with the good. Believe me, their peers will make sure their employment is short.

JaneyG Thu 12-Mar-20 15:15:43

Elizabeth1 have sent PM

Elizabeth1 Thu 12-Mar-20 15:08:59

teetime my familyincluding myself are entrenched in nursing and care I’ve experienced greatness in them we need to weed out the baddies no one deserves a bad apple angry

GrannyLaine Thu 12-Mar-20 15:06:08

Elizabeth1 sent you a PM

Elizabeth1 Thu 12-Mar-20 15:04:55

gagajo you’ve restored my belief in good people thanks

FlexibleFriend Thu 12-Mar-20 14:53:36

I've complained about a doctor but never had poor treatment from a nurse, although I've certainly witnessed a patient attacking a nurse on the stroke ward.

GagaJo Thu 12-Mar-20 14:35:21

I've had a lot of surgery and chemo treatment over the years. There was one unpleasant nurse in all of my treatment, but other than that, all of them were excellent. Worked half to death, rushed off their feet, yes, but good care.

Teetime Thu 12-Mar-20 14:19:10

Well I'm sorry this has happened to you but in over 30 years of nursing I have only ever seen compassion, expertise and hard work in all the nursing and medical staff I have had the pleasure to work with.

Elizabeth1 Thu 12-Mar-20 14:14:13

As most of you may know I’ve been recovering in hospital from having a stroke and I’m really sorry to say the treatment from some folks left a lot to be desired in as much I’ve no recourse but to write a formal complaint to The nhs in order to see a change in attitude and a shift away from institutional abuse. Please pm me if you’ve ever received poor care while in hospital there are noticeable exceptions to my experiences I’d like to hear them .