Gransnet forums

Health

What are underlying health conditions?

(106 Posts)
glammagran Fri 13-Mar-20 09:19:31

Deaths from coranavirus have been reported stating that the patients all had underlying health conditions. I assumed that these patients were already seriously ill from other causes. Now I read that one patient had high cholesterol and arthritis (same as me) and that high blood pressure (DH, under control) comes under this clause. So I’m making the assumption that nearly all people 60+ have an underlying health condition. What do others think?

Marydoll Sat 14-Mar-20 13:04:14

Oh no! You have been rooting in my cupboards, how did you know I bought macaroon bars yesterday? ?

I usually make them, but had no cold potato! Well actually, I did think about it and couldn't be bothered with all the faff.
I'm also about to make empire biscuits from my mother's old Lofty Peak recipe book!

Pussycat2012 Sat 14-Mar-20 12:54:21

Marydoll, u wouldn’t happen to be a true Glaswegian like myself by any chance? My cupboard is full of sugar too not to mention macaroon bars and chocolate digestives! ??

Marydoll Sat 14-Mar-20 12:07:26

Pussycat, a woman after my own heart, they are my signature bakes. I'd rather have the smarties anyway!

I'm making tablet for my daughter's wedding in a fortnight.
Stockpiling sugar and that was before the coronavirus panic!

Pussycat2012 Sat 14-Mar-20 11:20:56

CherryCezzy and Marydoll thank u both so much for advice re epilepsy. Sorry I missed yours CherryCezzy, obviously mislaid specs yet again! And Marydoll hope some empire biscuits and tray of tablet will add to supplies in cupboard. All be it the empires have smarties on top as ran out of ? cherries.?

henetha Sat 14-Mar-20 10:30:53

I'm 82 and take Amlodopine, and other medications which control my health which is quite good as long as I keep taking them. So should I self isolate? If so, when? My son thinks I should start right now. I've got a lunch date next week, so should I cancel? I'm finding it difficult to decide.
Your opinions would be very welcome, - thank you.

JuliaM Sat 14-Mar-20 10:04:50

Both DH and I have had the Pneumonia vaccination, he on age related grounds, and me due to being insulin dependent type 2 diabetic, Bronchiectasis, have heart failure and high blood pressure, and haave been Asthmatic all my life, im 62 and had the vaccination early due to these long term conditions. Im wondering if this would give any added benefits to those in the older age group, and sufferers of long term conditions should they be unfortunate enough to come.in contact with the Corona Virus, given the Pneumonia that is said to follow as part of this virus? We are self isolating as much as possible, having food deliveries and only going out in the car for essential journeys such as collecting our prescription medication, and delivering some items to the Care home that my 92yr old Dad is in, although it was just a 'drop off' call and l didnt go inside the building myself. They are not yet in the Lock down phase, but its set up more.like individual units with care, rather than an open plan communial home. My DD asked us yesterday if my 13yr old Grandaughter could join us for our self.isolating, she suffers from Asthma really badly, especially at this time of year, whilst both her parents work.in jobs that put them on the front line dealing with the public on a daily basis. We are still considering this request, as much as we love DGD, shes a typical teenage handful at the moment, and im.unsure if we would be able to cope with her 24/7 for what could turn out to be several weeks stay.

Marydoll Sat 14-Mar-20 09:07:05

Iam64, the latest advice for those on biologics is, if you have a fever and are feeling unwell, is to hold off your next injection and contact your health professional.

If you receive the infusion in hospital, they will be able to make the decision.

Iam64 Sat 14-Mar-20 08:55:14

I have inflammatory arthritis, treatment for which compromises the immune system, along with a number of other auto immune/ other health issues on the list of things that raise your risk of catching the virus and it being very serious if you do.

The advice I've found on line for people taking biological treatments is to keep taking the medication as it keeps you as fit as possible to fight the infection if you get it. I'm washing my hands and about the wipe everything down with a bleach solution (again). I haven't self isolated and had a long booked trip involving flights to Europe a week ago. Like what feels like the majority of grandparents, we are child care for working parents one day a week plus emergency or regular baby sitting. I expect the schools to close in a week or so and have suggested to the parents that they arrange rota's with other parents so they each have a couple extra one day a week, thus avoiding grandparents being expected to do the impossible.

Loobs Sat 14-Mar-20 08:07:49

Maddyone - here is a link explaining about Amlodopine
bnf.nice.org.uk/drug/amlodipine.html?fbclid=IwAR1vnve5cgJ2DBkT2ih7VXE-7kAOgrX9J-mutHmZ-yjayiPHXYFGadLf6p0 - hope that helps?

Coolgran65 Sat 14-Mar-20 04:33:20

I take 12 different medications daily.reckon I'm vulnerable.
That cupboard is starting to get crowded. Dare say I'll start my own....under the stairs possibly.

CherryCezzy Sat 14-Mar-20 01:58:10

Pussycat 2012 I answered your question yesterday at 16.25.04 but you obviously missed my post. I hope you checked out Marydoll's link anyway and it has put your mind at rest x

Marydoll Sat 14-Mar-20 00:00:46

Pussycat This may help.

www.epilepsy.com/article/2020/3/concerns-about-coronavirus

You can in the cupboard, if you bring supplies! wink

Pussycat2012 Fri 13-Mar-20 23:58:33

If I join u all in the cupboard will someone please answer my genuine question as to whether epilepsy is considered an underlying illness? I’ve been epileptic for forty one years now.?

paddyanne Fri 13-Mar-20 23:41:24

250 Deaths today in Italy .Its not looking good .good old Boris needs to up his game and cut risks by advising much stricter measures .

Marydoll Fri 13-Mar-20 23:38:49

Jan, I'm so sorry to hear that, I had no idea. I've not being going to church either, too risky.?

The thing is, the numbers in the cupboard may exceed the number of people allowed to gather. It's getting a wee bit crowded in here already. ?

I'm beginning to worry that my new biologic treatment may not go ahead, as it will compromise my immune system even further. I'm starting to get really concerned.

There is actually no point in worrying, I will probably be dead anyway ! ⚰️?

Jangran99 Fri 13-Mar-20 23:09:09

I have COPD and bronchiectasis .For 4 years I was on Relvar and Incruse inhalers, then Incruse was changed to Braltus.Last year I was given a TRELOGY inhaler which combines these two.
10th February admitted to hospital,pneumonia.
6th March re-admitted , pneumonia and blood clot on lung. I am in complete lock down, not even going to Church,which is devastating for me, especially in Lent.I am fortunate that DH is not vulnerable and can shop , look after grand- daughters etc. but I must admit to being very worried.
Shove up Marydoll ,I'm coming into that cupboard!

maddyone Fri 13-Mar-20 23:04:59

But paddyanne we’ll only have each other to chat to if we all end up self isolating.
I

paddyanne Fri 13-Mar-20 22:45:28

Here was me thinking I have no real health issues ,I do have HBP and at the moment gum disease ..so thats me in trouble .Think I'll avoid posts on CV from now on ...lol

maddyone Fri 13-Mar-20 21:09:28

sparkle
Ask to try it, your GP practice can prescribe it but it’s often not routinely offered.

maddyone Fri 13-Mar-20 21:08:18

Perhaps I’ll join you grin

Sparklefizz Fri 13-Mar-20 21:07:36

Thank you so much both Maddyone and Marydoll for your advice. flowers I have made a note about Relvar.

Marydoll Fri 13-Mar-20 21:05:32

The consultant I saw also put me on tiotropium, (Braltus), said my present medication was totally useless!

Asked why I stopped coming to the chest clinic after 30+ years and why wasn't I doing my daily chest exercises.
I explained, I had never been advised to do chest exercises to clear my lungs and I had been discharged by the new consultant, who was obviously doing a cull!
Totally changed his tune after that and couldn't do enough for me.
I wish I had been on Relvar , when I was teaching, but no using moaning about it now.

Hope you keep well.
I may have to lock myself away in a cupboard, the only way of staying virus free! wink

maddyone Fri 13-Mar-20 20:46:24

Marydoll
What surprised me was that it was never offered by my old GP, as you say it’s not routinely offered, and yet they were quite prepared to deny me any Ventolin whatsoever, unless I took a steroid inhaler, that we all knew would make me hoarse. That didn’t matter apparently, so long as the practice met government recommendations which are that all asthma sufferers must be on a steroid inhaler. This upset me so much, because whilst this battle was ongoing, my father died. I actually dissolved into tears in the asthma nurse’s office because the practice refused to prescribe any further asthma medication until I went to see the asthma nurse, it was explained that I was supporting my mother 240 miles away, as my father had just died, we hadn’t even had the funeral. I had to return home just to go to the practice. She then insisted I had another steroid inhaler before I could also have Ventolin and Serevent (long acting bronchodilator.)
The new practice was a breath of fresh air, listened to me, understood my problem, but offered, only offered, no compunction, Relvar Eliptor. It’s changed my life.

Txquiltz Fri 13-Mar-20 20:41:23

Another consideration should be severe gum disease or Pyrrhea. Both are basically open surfaces and can make disease response lessened.

Marydoll Fri 13-Mar-20 20:17:09

Maddyone totally agree, but GPs don't seem to routinely offer it.
If I hadn't been referred by my RA consultant to the respiratory consultant, ( it was thought I might have rheumatoid lung, which is fatal, ) I would never had been on it.
He put me on the highest dose for life, saying that my asthma was very unstable. What a difference it has made. It has taken 40+ years to get something which works. Too late for me, as I was forced to retire on health grounds.