Gransnet forums

Health

What are underlying health conditions?

(105 Posts)
glammagran Fri 13-Mar-20 09:19:31

Deaths from coranavirus have been reported stating that the patients all had underlying health conditions. I assumed that these patients were already seriously ill from other causes. Now I read that one patient had high cholesterol and arthritis (same as me) and that high blood pressure (DH, under control) comes under this clause. So I’m making the assumption that nearly all people 60+ have an underlying health condition. What do others think?

NanaandGrampy Fri 13-Mar-20 09:21:08

I agree Glammagran . I think it includes any heart or respiratory issues, diabetes and chronic kidney disease :-(

Sparklefizz Fri 13-Mar-20 09:22:55

Respiratory issues such as asthma and COPD.

Baggs Fri 13-Mar-20 09:22:55

I suspect that the underlying health conditions referred to relate to respiratory problems, people with asthma, for instance.

Happy to be corrected.

Baggs Fri 13-Mar-20 09:23:30

x posts.

EllanVannin Fri 13-Mar-20 09:33:30

I was diagnosed years ago with CKD 3rd stage----but that was in 2006/7 and that in itself isn't a death sentence unless you don't look after yourself. Also heart failure, but again, if you do the right thing you can still continue with a " near normal " life. Medication keeps me going !

But----should I be foolish and shun all the do's and don'ts then it can spell disaster, so it's a case of being sensible. It just means that my body, like others isn't as efficient as it used to be and using common sense is key and like Marydoll it's about making sensible decisions.

I want to see 80 so a small price to pay for being a hermit for a month or so. What say you ?

BlueBelle Fri 13-Mar-20 09:33:48

Mainly COPD, lung problems, lowered immune System diabetes or anybody with Cystic fibrosis or on chemo etc etc all of which can be prevalent in any age group

I think it’s a huge and wrong assumption to think everyone over 60 has underlying health problems I don’t think that’s true at all or even 70 it’s not a definite that age brings illness it can do but there are many fit and healthy senior citizens around

BlueBelle Fri 13-Mar-20 09:35:59

(Pressed too soon) and many unfit unhealthy young people
But I totally agree ellen if you know you have an underlying problem act sensibly and do what’s right for you

CassieJ Fri 13-Mar-20 09:47:45

My 19 yr old son has a compromised immune system due to his crohns disease and I worry about him. He works in a zero hour job, so can't take time off as he won't be paid.

My parents are in their 80's and mum has severe asthma plus multiple other illness's resulting in lowering her immune system, so especially worried about her.

Just keeping everything crossed and lots of hand washing.

Septimia Fri 13-Mar-20 09:48:01

I suppose the more 'underlying' health problems you have, and the worse they are, the greater the risk, whatever your age. But everyone is an individual and will react slightly differently even if they have, ostensibly, the same health problems as someone else. I'm sure determination - and sheer bloody-mindedness (like my FiL had) - to recover has an effect, too.

So let commonsense and pragmatism prevail.

Dillyduck Fri 13-Mar-20 10:37:07

I have been a carer for many years - my son was brain damaged at birth due to incompetent staff. Caring has taken it's toll on me, my son now lives about 15 miles away with day services and domiciliary care. I keep getting bad chest infections after Christmas, when son is home full time, so treated myself to 2 weeks in Cyprus. Glorious "shorts and a vest top" weather. Arrived home 10pm Wednesday evening. Yesterday, less than 12 hours after arriving home, there was a flurry of phone calls and emails. One day service now doesn't want clients going to different services every week, so my son can have 2 days with them but must drop the other two. No idea what will happen those 2 days now. Social Services can't tell me either. In the days when my son was in residential care, it would have been relatively easy to provide him with care and avoid contact with anyone else, but now there are so many people involved with his care and support, thanks to a change in government policy and the closure of the home he was in, as a result. Maybe in the long run the virus will lead to a serious rethink of services, but in the next weeks, anything could happen. My son and I were going to Devon, arranged a year ago, it's an expensive treat and we've both been looking forward to it. Really don't know what to do now! If it's my life that has to be sacrificed so my other son survives to bring his 7 year old son up, then so be it. I just hope it doesn't come to that!!!

Flygirl Fri 13-Mar-20 10:44:02

Yep.
You hit the nail on the head.

Anrol Fri 13-Mar-20 10:54:03

I don’t think I am at all unusual at having family members who are at risk: Mother & brother ; COPD. Sister; damaged lungs from multiple chest infections. DIL ; compromised immune system from kidney transplant. Its all in the lap of the gods how this will all turn out.

Pussycat2012 Fri 13-Mar-20 10:56:39

What about epilepsy? Is that classed as ‘an underlying health condition ‘? Thoughts please.

Gwenisgreat1 Fri 13-Mar-20 11:06:25

You can only do what you can do! I am vulnerable, I have bronchiectasis, had pneumonia 4 months ago. I make up a Natural Antibiotic (which is foul). For all my handwashing and wiping handles, etc. I now have a stinking cold!! That is all it is!

Doodle Fri 13-Mar-20 11:15:45

In the papers today they say high blood pressure is one of the factors due to people taking ACE inhibitors which have some impact on cells and a link with the virus. I don’t know how to link an article but it is in the Times.

Chestnut Fri 13-Mar-20 11:16:23

Septimia I suppose the more 'underlying' health problems you have, and the worse they are, the greater the risk, whatever your age. But everyone is an individual and will react slightly differently even if they have, ostensibly, the same health problems as someone else.
Agree absolutely. There is no definitive answer because no-one really knows how our body will handle the virus. Anyone over 60 is at higher risk, and over 80 probably even higher. I think looking at how much medication you take daily might give you a clue as to whether you have health issues. A healthy person takes no medication.

Mtc59 Fri 13-Mar-20 11:18:08

I am just confused!

CaroleAnne Fri 13-Mar-20 11:36:13

Hear! Hear! Bluebelle. A very good assessment of more senior people. There are some with co morbidities but plenty who are fit and well including my husband and myself.

Caramac Fri 13-Mar-20 12:42:41

I’m under 60 and have 2 chronic diseases but appear very fit and healthy. My DH is over 60 and has no illness but is less fit than I. He takes no meds whilst I take 8 different meds.
We are being sensible and following good hygiene practices.

Bluecat Fri 13-Mar-20 13:10:27

There is a possible link between ACE inhibitors and susceptibility to the virus. Better to get a different drug prescribed, to be on the safe side (if such a thing exists!), I would think.

Maremia Fri 13-Mar-20 13:17:08

Yes, Bluecat, high blood pressure seems to be one of the 'underlying'.

Nonogran Fri 13-Mar-20 13:38:13

I've had an awful winter of chest infections which have lasted weeks. Now, this last few days, I've got s sore throat. The fact that I don't recover well from colds which turn to chest infections is worrying me. I felt dreadful and was very wheezy for weeks until recently. Does this mean I'm compromised by a non diagnosed underlying health condition? Is my immunity not what it was a few years ago? For now I'm avoiding external contacts and making the most of country dog walks on my lonesome!

ninathenana Fri 13-Mar-20 13:38:28

I'm doomed T2 insulin dependant and high blood pressure.

Gran16 Fri 13-Mar-20 13:41:31

I am 55 and have an auto immune disorder and have to take medication to suppress my immune system to stop it attacking me. I think anyone who takes medication like this needs to be extra careful but not panicking as that causes things to flare and get worse. Bit of a double edged sword.