Gransnet forums

Health

Corona Virus . My sister in law has it.

(20 Posts)
PamelaJ1 Mon 16-Mar-20 21:49:18

She is being treated in isolation in hospital.

I am posting this so that those of you who may think that because of age you will receive second class treatment. You will not.

She has not been well for years, smoked like a trooper, drinks excessively, I mean excessively. She has been housebound for about a year. In fact the epitome of bad health.
According to her son she is being given every care.

We don’t know how she got it. We are away in Australia at the moment. Thank goodness, we would have gone to visit her before she was diagnosed.

Calendargirl Mon 16-Mar-20 22:12:32

Heartening to hear that the treatment is good.

Bathsheba Mon 16-Mar-20 22:24:56

Oh that's bad news for your family, but very encouraging to know she's being given such good care. You were lucky to be away! Hope she has a good outcome flowers

dragonfly46 Mon 16-Mar-20 22:36:08

I think now is the time to get it before the NHS is inundated.

POGS Mon 16-Mar-20 22:37:42

Pamelaj

Sorry to hear your alarming news.

Well done for raising a positive note for those who are scared in such a crisis period.

PamelaJ1 Mon 16-Mar-20 22:40:12

dragonfly, my niece, a Dr. Says the same.

Get it now whilst they have lots of beds and equipment ready and waiting.

cornergran Mon 16-Mar-20 22:42:54

We’ve been saying the same thing. If we must get it then now is the time. Still hope we don’t. Wishing your sister in law a speedy recovery pamelaJI. I’m pleased she’s having good care. Thank you for sharing this with us.

Luckygirl Mon 16-Mar-20 22:43:35

Let us hope she will be well soon.

BlueBelle Mon 16-Mar-20 22:47:58

Good luck to your sis in law but if she’s housebound someone else close to her must have it have they all been tested and quarantined ? Husband/ son ?

merlotgran Mon 16-Mar-20 22:59:23

I hope your SiL makes a full recovery

My niece also has corona virus. She is 40 and tested positive when she returned from a skiing holiday in Verbier with friends.

She told me this morning that she is OK but very breathless and fatigued. Her two children are in isolation with her. So far they do not have any symptoms.

A worrying time for everyone.

mcem Mon 16-Mar-20 23:04:50

DD with significant chronic health problems is waiting for test result. Even without the virus she is very unwell. I won't be able to help so we are relying on local friends to bring supplies. Phone and FaceTime only!

PamelaJ1 Mon 16-Mar-20 23:07:45

Bluebelle, she has had it for a couple of weeks now.
Her son has been cleared but is still self isolating.

He visited his cousin before she was diagnosed. His cousin rang 111 and their advice was that as it had been a week and neither he nor his cousin had any symptoms he was fine.
He has a job that doesn’t bring him into contact with the public and is keeping his distance from his colleagues.

Merlot it’s beginning to hit close to home isn’t it. I hope your niece and family get better soon. If she was healthy she should be OK?

B9exchange Mon 16-Mar-20 23:24:19

As numbers ramp up, we will all know someone who has got it, a colleague I sit next to at work was not in today as her husband has gone down with it and she is self isolating.

Are you all completely cancelling Mother's Day, even if fit and well, or are you planning to see a few family members in small numbers?

Eloethan Tue 17-Mar-20 01:37:30

I know somebody who thinks she has had the virus, though even she says that she has in the past experienced similar symptoms - a fever, dry cough, aching joints and tiredness. Without testing, it may be difficult to distinguish one illness from another.

Anyway, assuming that she did have Corona virus, she says, after only 3/4 days, she feels almost fully recovered and says she didn't feel as ill as she has done in the past with flu and other bugs.

Of course, we know the virus can be very serious or even deadly but this lady is, I would estimate, in her late 60's/early 70's so not all older people will be seriously affected by it. It is difficult, as an older person, not to be scared of what might happen but I think it's important to try and remain reasonably positive - stress is not conducive to good health.

ninathenana Tue 17-Mar-20 06:12:27

I wish her well.
However, I find it worrying that despite having been housebound for a year, she has contracted it.

PamelaJ1 Tue 17-Mar-20 06:32:37

Nina, my nephew isn’t the best communicator, but I don’t think he knows. She has had carers going in a few times every day so I presume either one of them has passed it on or she got it after she went into hospital.
She has been unwell for a long time so it’s not inconceivable that she went in with something else.
I will find out more when we get back. If we get back! Adelaide seems to be shutting down at the moment. Hope the planes keep flying.

kissngate Tue 17-Mar-20 08:33:39

My DD knows someone who is seriously ill in Intensive Care. He is mid 50s none smoker, not overweight and looked healthy. When he was a child he was diagnosed with a faulty heart, had two OPs to correct and has been fine since but has to take medication. The virus has weakened his heart and DD says family are not sure hes going to make it. Pray that a vaccine is found soon.

annep1 Tue 17-Mar-20 08:41:15

I hope your sister in law makes a good recovery. Thank you so much for your post.

maddyone Tue 17-Mar-20 08:47:40

Glad to hear that your sister in law is getting good treatment, but as the numbers rise, doctors WILL have to make very, very difficult decisions. I’m 66 and retired and have asthma, my son in law is 36 and a doctor and has asthma. Who do you realistically think will get treatment if there are insufficient ventilators? And there are insufficient ventilators so I would say stay in, stay safe, and don’t be complacent. These choices WILL need to be made soon.

PamelaJ1 Wed 18-Mar-20 21:33:06

Just got this from my nephew.
As you can see he doesn’t say much. Still hasn’t answered my questions about how she contracted it but....

She was in such a bad state of health that I am truly amazed and astounded that she seems to be getting better!