Gransnet forums

Health

Don't go out, he says. Shop line, he says

(41 Posts)
H1954 Mon 23-Mar-20 20:37:13

Listening to Boris and the special broadcast tonight. He advises people to not go out and instead of going out shopping we should do our grocery shop line! I tried that tonight, Morrisons are not accepting any further orders, nor are Sainsbury's and Tesco did not have a delivery slot available until almost the end of April! I wonder where he gets his groceries from?

Callistemon Wed 25-Mar-20 20:23:13

Can't get a slot with Tesco's, Waitrose, Morrisons

I didn't try Sainsburys.

Doodle Wed 25-Mar-20 19:51:07

Anyone trying to contact Sainsburys, their website has now been updated for the shielded patients to provide information online instead of by phone.

annep1 Wed 25-Mar-20 18:42:16

Glad to hear Bluesky. We're trying to cope until my husbands birthday in April.

BlueSky Wed 25-Mar-20 09:34:53

After being annoyed with Sainsbury's I've finally managed to book a slot and place an order, being 'elderly'. What I will get it's another matter anyway that's the first time I've felt being 70 has some advantages!

sunseeker Wed 25-Mar-20 08:25:39

I am beginning to wonder whether there is anyone actually answering the phone at Sainsburys "helpline". I rang just before 11.00 pm last night - line engaged. Rang this morning just before 8.00 am - recorded message, rang exactly on 8.00 am, line engaged. It has been engaged ever since.

BlueSapphire Wed 25-Mar-20 07:54:30

I had an email from Sainsbury's last week to say I was on their priority list and to wait for the next email with instructions.

That arrived Monday morning and told me to log in and place an order that day. Which I did, although it did take an hour of trying. Got a slot for yesterday and my order duly arrived yesterday morning.

They said they will let me know by email when to log in for the next delivery date.

tanith Wed 25-Mar-20 07:34:14

I had trouble adding to my Tesco delivery slot 2nd April but I managed it this morning at 6am.

BBbevan Wed 25-Mar-20 05:53:44

Sunseeker absolutely the same position as you regards Sainsbury's. . I do have a delivery slot with Tesco for the end of next week, but the way it is going they might need a pantechnicon to deliver it. I shall add some of my DDs shopping to it as she also can't find any delivery slots with anyone.

Daisymae Tue 24-Mar-20 15:54:50

I actually had a slot. When I went to amend it seemed that I hadn't checked out.
This afternoon there was 12000 people queuing to get onto the Ocado website. I think if you are not a regular you have basically had it.

annep1 Tue 24-Mar-20 15:26:11

Thanks Discogran. Good to know.

DiscoGran Tue 24-Mar-20 14:28:34

I went to our nearest lidl about 7.30 last night. It was really quiet, and I got almost everything I needed including all fresh fruit and veg, loo rolls and ibuprofen. The v.pleasant young lad on the till told me they were still getting daily deliveries, but that they had the "march of the penguins" each morning at 8am, loading up their trolleys with everything.

phoenix Tue 24-Mar-20 13:10:05

I received my "vulnerable person" letter by post this morning. (Not over 70, but have COPD)

So, I suppose I could trundle off to the supermarket during their special opening times, but on the other hand, I'm advised to stay at home!

Calendargirl Tue 24-Mar-20 13:07:36

I went out this morning, to the local butchers. Got mince, enough to freeze a bit, and his last dozen eggs. There was only one other chap, he waited outside while I was being served, we chatted at distance about the situation. Very few people about.
Then Tesco’s, surprisingly un-busy, bought milk, fruit, yogurt.
Tried to stay apart from everyone.
Will have monthly prescriptions to collect Friday, dreading that as the Boots pharmacy next to GP surgery is showing pictures of 2 hour queues on FB page. Only 1 in at a time, and 2 metre gap in the queue.

kissngate Tue 24-Mar-20 12:57:28

I thought I was one of the lucky ones to have a Tesco delivery last night. I ordered one of each of all the basics plus flour, frozen veg, beers for OH and wine and chocolate for me. What arrived ...... beer, wine chocolate, bleach and NOTHING else. No substitutes either. The message is Dont rely on online shopping. I rushed out to local store at 7.30 am today but shelves empty said they were cleared out after PMs announcement last night. PM doesn't want us to go out but online shopping is a joke.

Parsley3 Tue 24-Mar-20 10:40:38

Yes, online shopping has just crashed hasn’t it. I am waiting until next week to try again and hope that the problem dies down. I am glad it isn’t just me being dim.

BlueSky Tue 24-Mar-20 10:38:28

Well Sainsbury's emailed me yesterday and today that I will be able to have priority booking but so far all slots greyed out for the foreseeable future. Will just have to keep trying not much else to do anyway!

sunseeker Tue 24-Mar-20 10:35:16

That should, of course have read "from 8.30 am to 7.30 pm" - cabin fever has started to set in!

sunseeker Tue 24-Mar-20 10:33:27

I have had the same experience with Sainsburys. I tried ringing the "helpline" roughly every 15 minutes yesterday from 8.30 am to 7.30 am to get put on their "vulnerable customer" list, the line was either permanently engaged or a recorded message, I tried their Facebook page only to be told to ring the helpline number, I emailed their Customer Relations department and received a reply that they were no longer offering an email contact as they "can better serve customers" in other ways. Why can't those of us in the priority groups register through our online accounts?

Unless Sainsburys get their act together quickly I can see them losing a lot of older customers once this is all over

Callistemon Tue 24-Mar-20 10:13:19

We know someone who normally delivers food to restaurants etc. He has just been laid off.
What is happening to all that food and why can his firm not be redeployed to work for supermarkets?

V3ra Tue 24-Mar-20 10:06:44

I have a Tesco delivery booked for the 30th March, but the next option available is a click and collect on the 14th April.
I'm shopping for three of us and Dad (89).
If we run out in between my husband will venture out to Morrisons.

Dad's lucky in his extra-care apartment as the attached nursing home supply him a hot two course dinner every day and would supply a sandwich tea if he asked.
He has nice grounds to potter about in.
He says he thinks he is in the best place!
I'm so glad we moved him 160 miles to our town after Mum died two years ago.

Willow500 Tue 24-Mar-20 09:53:14

I would be happy to wait until later in April for the basics we usually get but no supermarkets have any slots available in my area so we will have no choice but to go out for milk and bread tonight or tomorrow.

My BIL has had a text to say he is on the high risk list having very bad asthma and also on kidney dialysis - SIL had been trying to book their normal online shopping but failing with them all. It is worrying for everyone but more so for those most vulnerable.

annep1 Tue 24-Mar-20 09:45:21

25Avalon I did exactly the same. People are going to be forced into going to shops.
Not one neighbour has offered help.

25Avalon Tue 24-Mar-20 09:24:00

I am registered with Sainsbury's online although I have not used them for a couple of years. Yesterday was my 70th Birthday (I did find a bottle of champagne to open!) so, as we have been self isolating for a couple of weeks as my husband has a heart problem, went online to Sainsbury's to book a delivery spot. However they didn't recognise me as being in their vulnerable group and said if they had it wrong to ring a certain number.
I tried to ring that number yesterday but all I got was a recorded message and today the line is permanently engaged. There is no email address for you to send to either.
Fortunately I live in a small village with a village shop and volunteers set up to collect shopping for you. Others may not be so fortunate.

Witzend Tue 24-Mar-20 09:11:59

I’ve been a MilkandMore customer for years, but can’t rely on it at all now they’ve been inundated. My long-standing weekly order of eggs hasn’t arrived this morning, nor did an extra item I’d ordered for last Saturday. Milk still arriving though - so far, anyway.

I’ve never done online grocery shopping, have never felt the need, so have no option but to go out.

I do worry about a pair of elderly neighbours, both extremely frail and quite unable to go looking for food. Their daughter arranges a weekly delivery for them, so I hope to goodness that’s still working. I’ve told said neighbours countless times to ring if they need anything - they do call on us for help with various things quite often, though it’s never yet been for food. I expect their daughter, who lives a long drive away, would let us know if it’s not working - she knows we’re there to help.

Lovetopaint037 Tue 24-Mar-20 09:05:13

I’m almost 79 and dh is 80. No sign of an email from Sainsburys. Can’t remember if we had to put date of birth on Nectar card application. So long ago. Can’t think what other data they might have to identify us. Would be wonderful to do an online shop.