Gransnet forums

Health

Daily walk ?

(65 Posts)
Sheena Tue 31-Mar-20 10:31:33

Are any of you going out for a daily walk? I am, but do feel ever so slightly uncomfortable out there ! Each morning there seem to be less and less people walking round the block as I do (which in a way is good so I don't meet anyone) ! . I have been suffering lately with a bad back, and feel I must get out and do a bit of walking ... or else I will completely seize up ... and become like an old stagnant pond (only not quite so smelly !! ) . There seem to be two trains of thought on this... one is yes, do your daily out-for-a-walk-exercise .. and two, noooo you must be mad !! What do you all think?

Grandad1943 Fri 03-Apr-20 10:48:09

We are lucky here in North Somerset as the Bristol Channel estuary is no more than a quarter-mile from our home.

We have just returned from walking along there and despite meeting people on the footpaths everyone gets well out of each other's way by crossing over to the other side of the path or even beyond as they meet to enable social distancing.

However, it is concerning that very few people seem to be taking such walks even with the lovely views there are across the estuary.

Those walks also have great social element in that when people get out of each other's way for social distancing we and them thank each other for doing that and a conversation almost always develops.

sf101 Fri 03-Apr-20 10:02:37

I am walking every day and loving it. I have wide green spaces on the doorstep with wide paths, I see the usual dog walkers but am surprised there are not more people exercising.

BlueSky Fri 03-Apr-20 10:00:33

By what I read on social media people abroad are up in arms if you are spotted going round the block without a dog. Obviously in built up areas must be near impossible going out without meeting many fellow walkers. I'm getting rather paranoid as yesterday a couple of dogs run towards us followed by the owner who came quite close to us!

Callistemon Fri 03-Apr-20 09:54:42

Well done etheltbags

Callistemon Fri 03-Apr-20 09:48:22

M0nica I'm not sure if it was the same man but someone was on TV running round his garden and it was quite small, well done that man.
875 laps!

Urmstongran Fri 03-Apr-20 09:19:57

I’m envious of you all. Going out for a WALK is not allowed out here in Spain. Unless you have a dog.
?

tanith Fri 03-Apr-20 09:14:16

I do a good walk every day it lifts my mood and so nice now that people say good morning if we happen to meet, at a safe distance.

etheltbags1 Fri 03-Apr-20 09:11:30

I've started walking again, also volunteered to be a phone befriended to those like me , at the minute.

Sheena Wed 01-Apr-20 14:18:50

Hi Everyone ... thank you one and all for your lovely and inspiring replies .

I shall keep on doing my daily walk then, until we are told otherwise.

Happy walking everyone thanks

M0nica Wed 01-Apr-20 13:28:03

I beleive someone unable to take part on the London Marathon this year ran a marathon around his back lawn. It required 803 laps.

Nice mathematical problem, what was the size of his lawn?

BlueSky Wed 01-Apr-20 12:39:08

Yes definitely more 'lockdown walkers' now! Luckily we live in a rural area but we see more people now than before. I guess it would be a problem if you lived in a town trying to escape one another.

Teetime Wed 01-Apr-20 10:29:46

We are walking daily too and very lucky to be very near two lovely parks. DH is still complaining about not getting enough exercise though!

Maggiemaybe Wed 01-Apr-20 09:05:05

It’s pretty quiet walking round here usually, but I’m finding there are more people on my usual routes now. Yesterday I set off walking to the next village and had to turn back as there were people coming the other way on both sides of the road. Across the fields I could see dog walkers on my usual Cricket Club and golf course paths, which are fairly narrow, so I ended up doing six circuits of the graveyard, in solitary splendour! It was actually very pleasant, lots of spring flowers and birds about.

ginny Wed 01-Apr-20 08:16:50

Plenty of open ground within easy reach of us. We take a 40 -45 minute walk each day. There are a few people about but all keep their distance but most are friendly and call out a greeeting.

NfkDumpling Wed 01-Apr-20 08:11:46

DH is on The Very Vulnerable List and has been sent a letter saying he has to shield, he should stay indoors (the garden is allowed) and instructions on how we should co-habit in order to stay safe. It’s not easy! And we have to live this way for twelve weeks! So I’m shielding with him. This means no walks. No visits to the shops. It started on the 21 March so there’s a while to go yet. I‘m wondering if we can sneak out in the car very early in the morning and drive for a look at the sea. It’s not too far.

Oopsminty Wed 01-Apr-20 07:57:22

We are lucky to have vast woodlands on our doorstep

We take our dog out every evening

Hardly see a soul

Calendargirl Wed 01-Apr-20 07:51:33

Why do you think there’ll be another mad scramble in the shops before Easter EV? People still won’t be allowed to meet up with family and friends, so won’t need to be buying in food for big social gatherings.

I thought Easter might just pass by quietly this year.

TerriBull Wed 01-Apr-20 07:46:42

We walk every day, missed Sunday because it was cold and our walk was cut short Monday when it started to rain. Under normal circumstances we will walk for anything between 40 minutes and usually an hour, have been known to make it an hour and a quarter. We are very lucky we have Bushy Park, which covers miles on our doorstep so make for there most days because it offers wide open spaces. Thus, far touch wood, it has never been crowded, dog walkers, joggers, bike riders all very well spaced, the deer are more prolific than the people. Within the park there are enclosed gardens which are absolutely lovely, trees, flowers, ponds and wildfowl are there in all their glory. We've been sighting a family of Egyptian Geese, and their young for a few weeks now.

It makes a welcome break from the inevitable being on line, particularly as some of that is sometimes the frustrating task of trying to get more things delivered, which seems to take up so much time these days.

Eloethan Wed 01-Apr-20 01:11:02

Sheena I go out every day with my dog. Usually it is for 45 mins to an hour but if the weather is especially good, I go for over an hour. I'm used to walking quite a lot and think it's important to retain some degree of fitness - and get some fresh air.

I know what you mean about feeling a bit uncomfortable - I sometimes do too. Seeing another person feels awkward now. I usually cross the road - or they cross it before I do.
There is a lady I know from dog walking who now when I see her rushes past me, making a point of keeping her head down, obviously keen to avoid saying hello. I'm keeping my distance, we're both out in the open so I don't know what she's so scared of as I have never attempted to start a conversation. If I was that scared, I think I'd just let the dog in the garden.

It's necessary, I know, that we stick to these guidelines but it makes me wonder whether, if this goes on for a very long time, there will be more of a tendency to avoid people and see them as a threat.

These rules have only been in a week or so and it feels like much longer than that to me.

Callistemon Tue 31-Mar-20 23:30:53

Remember all that rain?
I thought how lucky we were to live on top of such a steep hill, that we'd never get flooded!
Now we can't go for a nice walk as we can't drive anywhere flat

Hetty58 Tue 31-Mar-20 23:18:39

Grammaretto, you'll probably have to gradually build up distance again when you do venture out.

I can't imagine being just in the house and garden. I hope we don't have total lockdown as I'd find it very difficult.

Grammaretto Tue 31-Mar-20 23:03:03

I haven't been out for a walk for over a week now. I wander round the garden and up and down the stairs.
I miss it and if I wasn't in total lock-down I would love nothing more than a brisk walk. We are surrounded by beautiful countryside with relatively few people about.
Maybe by the end of next week , if we aren't showing any signs of the virus, I may venture out.

Hetty58 Tue 31-Mar-20 23:00:55

Jane10, only 150 minutes a week - can't be enough, surely?

Lollin Tue 31-Mar-20 22:53:08

So many people jogging now and dog walkers aren't too bad on the whole but with the extra walkers it can be difficult with so many people on the pavements now. I find crossing the road easier but I am walking in the road suddenly to avoid a lot of joggers. I may have to start going out in the dark.

SirChenjin Tue 31-Mar-20 22:17:24

DH and I