Gransnet forums

Health

Daily walk ?

(64 Posts)
Sheena Tue 31-Mar-20 10:31:33

Are any of you going out for a daily walk? I am, but do feel ever so slightly uncomfortable out there ! Each morning there seem to be less and less people walking round the block as I do (which in a way is good so I don't meet anyone) ! . I have been suffering lately with a bad back, and feel I must get out and do a bit of walking ... or else I will completely seize up ... and become like an old stagnant pond (only not quite so smelly !! ) . There seem to be two trains of thought on this... one is yes, do your daily out-for-a-walk-exercise .. and two, noooo you must be mad !! What do you all think?

Hetty58 Tue 31-Mar-20 10:36:05

Yes, go out walking every single day if you are able to. Use it or lose it! I actually like it when there's hardly anyone around. It's nice and quiet with less traffic too. I have a dodgy back and I want to keep strong.

Oopsadaisy3 Tue 31-Mar-20 10:39:18

We didn’t go out yesterday as we were both a bit wheezy and it was so cold and windy, but the sun is shining today, so we will be wrapping up warm and going out for a wander around the fields. Trying to avoid the muddy bits is more difficult than avoiding people, although we did see someone from a distance on Saturday.

Eglantine21 Tue 31-Mar-20 10:39:45

I tried a walk at 6.30 am when this all started but there were so many joggers and dog walkers about that I couldn’t keep a safe distance, especially when the dogs bounded up to me and the owners came to fetch them! And the joggers steadfastly refused to deviate even an inch from the centre of path!

I didn’t feel safe but if I had a nice big open space I would go for a solitary walk.?

Esspee Tue 31-Mar-20 10:40:39

Exercise, fresh air and a change of scene is so important. I am stuck in with flu like symptoms and I would dearly love to be out there with you. Keep it up and stay safe.

Witzend Tue 31-Mar-20 10:43:08

Yes, either in our nearby big park (now closed to cyclists who were too often close together on the perimeter road) as well as cars.
It’s easy enough to stay well away from other people.
We also walk round the block, usually very quiet but less so now, since a lot of people are using one of the roads as a route to the park.

Certainly needed to wrap up warm yesterday! There was a wind that seemed to come straight from Siberia - as my old geography teacher used to say.

Hetty58 Tue 31-Mar-20 10:45:26

I have to walk the dog anyway but I've found that the streets are quieter than the fields or forest. There's no mud, blasted joggers or off-lead dogs flying around!

I've moved (what used to be) the morning walk to midday (less freezing) and given up the second one for now.

ayse Tue 31-Mar-20 10:50:59

I’m looking after my grandchildren aged 5 on a Monday to Friday basis whilst Mum works from home. I’m currently staying with them and have been since the lockdown. The weeks before we spent in splendid isolation form each other so nobody was carrying the virus as far as we knew. We thought lockdown would happen so planned accordingly.

I take the children out to our local green area that cannot be shut off. We take bikes and do some nature study, although the girls don’t see it as that. Not many people about but those that are keep their distance. They seem to be cheery with happy helloing etc.

It’s lovely to get some fresh air and just seeing others is a bonus so if you can go out make the most of it.

Keep well everyone

Greyduster Tue 31-Mar-20 10:52:12

It is essential for me to walk most days if I can or my dodgy hip seizes up. Added to that, it brings my stress levels down. Trouble is, there are so many selfish folk out there who don’t stick to the guidelines that it just adds to the stress. We are lucky to live where there are numerous public footpaths on our doorstep, but I so miss jumping in the car and heading for the National Park, or a favourite fishing venue. One day soon, Deo volente.........

Curlywhirly Tue 31-Mar-20 11:14:12

You shouldn't worry about going out for a walk, it is perfectly legal. You will remain safe as long as you keep the required distance from others. Our daily walk is now the highlight of the day, it would be a pity healthwise, both physical and mental, if you didn't do it.

EllanVannin Tue 31-Mar-20 11:25:53

I count my odd trip to the local shop as exercise, especially if carrying two bags then it becomes a stroll back home. I could count on one hand how many people are usually about ,so safe enough.

I suppose there'll be another mad scramble in the shops soon before Easter ??

Jane10 Tue 31-Mar-20 11:31:44

We go out for an official route march every afternoon. (Well that's what it feels like.) Our usual route takes about 40 minutes. A bit less on bad weather days. We're supposed to exercise for 150 minutes a week so we're exceeding that but the rest of the time we're pretty static.

BlueSky Tue 31-Mar-20 12:39:32

We do have our daily walk in a quiet area, DH needs it for his back and I need it to keep sane. Obviously as much as we enjoy it, if it was strongly discouraged we wouldn't do it.

grannyticktock Tue 31-Mar-20 12:44:46

I've been having a walk most days for the last few years, since before my husband died. For me it is a mental as well as physical thing - a walk calms me and refreshes me, as well as keeping me fit. I still do it, and if I meet someone I know, we have a brief chat from a safe social distance. Always restores my spirits.

Auntieflo Tue 31-Mar-20 12:47:56

We go out for a short walk each day, but yesterday combined a shop with a walk.

GrandmaMoira Tue 31-Mar-20 13:26:36

I've been walking most days although too cold the last two days. I've found my way around nearby woodland that I hadn't explored in the year since I moved here. It's very relaxing and good to keep the spirits up.

BlueBelle Tue 31-Mar-20 13:29:44

Most days I go for a half hour on the beach yes it’s definitely something we should be doing

Doodle Tue 31-Mar-20 13:37:08

We really miss our walks. We usually go out every day but as DH is on the shielded list of patients he is not allowed out the front door. I am not going either just to try and limit his contact with others. We are really noticing the difference. We live in a flat so don’t even have a garden to walk in but at least we have a balcony ?

lemongrove Tue 31-Mar-20 13:43:20

I need a short walk every day, it helps my hip and back ( falling to bits!) and we especially need the fresh air and exercise now.
Don’t meet many people in the village, perhaps we all walk at different times.?
When we do though, we all keep our distance but wave or say hello.

Fennel Tue 31-Mar-20 16:26:10

I go out for a walk locally every day. unless it's raining, though up to now the weather has been quite good. Like others, to keep the old joints moving.
I go as early as possible and there's hardly anyone about. The few people I do see say hello etc.
Husband went for a bike ride yesterday.

McGilchrist41 Tue 31-Mar-20 16:34:04

I go out as early as I can and hardly see anyone. Just the occasional jogger.I don't think I would stay sane if I didn't get out for a change of scenery every day.

M0nica Tue 31-Mar-20 16:43:28

My daily walk has become positively convivial, I see so many people, not enough to compromise social distancing rules, but more than I usually see and I am no longer the only one not tied to a dog. We all greet each other and sometimes have a chat, but always keeping generous distances.

We front onto a very popular path for walkers and during the day we see lots of families passing by and again many without dogs. We are not an accredited beauty spot, so no outsiders, just villagers, many of them from the new estates built recently, exploring the richness of local footpaths, which can be nothing but good.

TwiceAsNice Tue 31-Mar-20 16:53:07

I go for a walk every day just in a big loop around my housing development . I have a back problem so can’t walk for a long time and it’s easy to get back to the flat this way but is pretty boring. The children and grandchildren are going for a longer walk or bike ride every day

SueDonim Tue 31-Mar-20 16:57:30

We’re going out almost every day to walk. I’m in a village with limited pavements but at least with the reduction in traffic it is safer to keep going along the road itself now.

I saw more than half a dozen others walking today - normally you wouldn’t see a soul. Luckily, there’s plenty of space for everyone so we’ve chatted at a safe distance to folk we’ve never set eyes on before.

Greymar Tue 31-Mar-20 16:59:57

Monica, are you on CBD oil or maybe special cookies?