Gransnet forums

Health

Waking up in pain

(9 Posts)
ExD Thu 02-Apr-20 20:07:49

Don't like to bother her at the moment, but now you come to mention it I can see the possibility. Thn

Maxval Thu 02-Apr-20 19:41:03

Are you sure you have not developed Polymyalgia Rheumatica. This complaint comes on suddenly and in my case I awoke one morning to find I could not get out of bed. As long as I remained still there was no pain - move and instantly pole-axed by it. Your GP can test for a chemical in the blood a signal inflamation is possible.

Pikachu Thu 02-Apr-20 16:02:45

When I sleep well I tend to be stiffer in the morning too.

ExD Thu 02-Apr-20 15:38:51

I'm actually taking slow release tablets, not liquid - so cutting down any further will be difficult. You take 2 a day (morning and night) and I have cut down to the lowest one of 10mls. Previously I had been attending a pain management clinic but of course that's closed. I am trying to lengthen the gap between tablets now - 12 hour gap as prescribed, then 13 hrs for 1 tablet, then for both - and so on. Even with writing it all down it gets blooming confusing. smile
Its a shame, because morphine really DOES do what it says on the bottle. smile and at 80 I don't think it'll matter much if I get addicted.

welbeck Wed 01-Apr-20 23:55:07

yes, i was going to suggest, could you decrease the oramorph a little.

ExD Wed 01-Apr-20 22:40:27

Thats encouraging, thanks girls.

H1954 Tue 31-Mar-20 16:10:03

Yes, Oopsadaisy3, I think you've hit the nail on the head! Sleeping in the same position is really no different to sitting in the same position for a long time, like in a car or on a train is it? So I'm inclined to agree that medication can have the effect of making us sleep so deeply that we don't move around naturally in our sleep and therefore we can stiffen up. Just a though on my part.

Oopsadaisy3 Tue 31-Mar-20 16:02:00

I found that when I was on medication I didn’t move at all in the night, I woke up in the same position that I fell asleep in. And I ached all over.
Normally I think I move around quite a lot in my sleep, once I was off the Morphine I went back to normal, not quite thrashing around, but certainly on the move much more, slept lighter and I am now fine.

ExD Tue 31-Mar-20 15:11:35

Just recently I've been waking up with every joint aching, or so it seems, from my feet and ankles up to my neck and shoulders.
I admit at my age (80) I do tend to wake up feeling stiff and creaky - but this is truly excruciating. My mattress is just under a year old and nothing else has changed apart from my taking oral morphine after a fall. Could I just be sleeping heavily?
I'm not expecting medical advice - just sensible comments and suggestions ...... ?